6V or 12V?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6V or 12V?

I was wondering if there is a big difference between the 6 volt and 12 volt.
    I am fixing up a 1949 pick up, flat 6 (170) it is going to be a driver.
    someone also told me I could get a 8 volt battery and not have to convert anything?

Cove,

Here is a thread from 4/2011 talking about the same subject....Hope it helps

Comment

Why would you have to convert anything? I've run 6V Studes for fifty years. If it doesn't crank with the first spin, the fault is in the maintenance, not in the concept. Six volts will always crank 170" when everything is in good tune and good condition. If the truck will be driven infrequently, there are 6V electric fuel pumps which will insure there is gas in the carburetor float bowl when you start cranking.

jack vines
      PackardV8

Comment

Please read this thread also before you change from 6v.

54 Champion coupe
        48 Champion Convert

Comment

I have two 1937 Dictators, and my grandfather bought the Coupe new in 37.
          It has ALWAYS started when asked to, even in cold Colorado winters.
          Yes, the headlights seem dimmer, but that could be wiring issues, not
          voltage ones.

Comment

Clean, rust free, grease/oil free, tight connections. THROUGHOUT the car. Starting at the battery cables.
            Get new big cables. 2/0. Run the ground cable to a starter mount bolt. The starter is the biggest current draw on the car, it needs to have direct connections to the battery.
            Make sure all ground straps between the engine and frame, frame and body are new and clean. Go through the whole car cleaning and tightening connections.
            The new cables will take care of any slow cranking problems. My 55 turns over like it's on 12 volts. With a Pertronics ignition system it fires off immediately. Although it's not required, points are fine.
            As PackardV8 said, if it doesn't start at first spin look at maintenance.
            If you're changing to get sounds [radio, cds, ipods] there are ways to install without converting to 12 volt.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

To: cove,------ By the way the folks in the posts above rave about 6V systems, I'd expect they'll start converting all their 12V cars over to 6V tomorrow!! If Your building Your truck to be a dependable everyday driver,
              do it right the first time and convert to 12V. Sometimes We really need to bite the bullet and accept progress!

Comment

I ran 6 volts for years, still do on one of my cars. I only converted to 12 volt so I could run an A/C. Never had any problems with 6 volt systems.

Comment

To: whacker,----- When You added A/C to Your car, why did You bother to convert to 12V?

Comment

Sometimes We really need to bite the bullet and accept progress!
                    Sort of begs the question then why bother with a Studebaker at all?

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

If you are gonna try to make a driver out of that 49, six volts is gonna be the least of problems; six cylinders are gonna be your main problem. Unless you intend to drive it around the farm. If you ever try to take it on the interstate, be sure to install four way flashers and a large, fluorescent, triangular farm implement sign first. Otherwise, you mag be run over by normal flowing traffic.

OTOH, if you want that truck to run with the big dogs, install a Stude 259 or 289, preferably with a T85 transmission. My older brother did that upgrade to his 49, and it is sweet.

Comment

SN-60, I am not aware of any 6 volt magnetic clutches on the market today. Believe me, I looked.

Comment

To: whacker,------ Exactly!......That's just one reason an every day driver should have a 12V system.....parts availability.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            To: whacker,------ Exactly!......That's just one reason an every day driver should have a 12V system.....parts availability.
                            I hear that same argument from the folks who throw a SBC in everything.

This said, I have no room to talk because I'm converting mine to 12-volt as I'm putting in a later engine from a 12-volt car--and still I hesitated before doing that because I'm not adding anything additional that wasn't on one of these cars to begin with.

If everything is stock and in good condition then there's no reason why a 6-volt system wouldn't be fine for a daily driver.
                            Dave Nevin
                            Corvallis, OR
                            1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

To:dnevin,----- " No reason", Do You want a list??

Comment

Working...
                              X