what is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is it?

I am referring to the red hose that you can see under my air cleaner. I have no idea what it is and where it is supposed to go, if anywhere? The second picture shows it (barely) dipping back under the distributor. Any ideas? I will try to snag better pics when I get over to the house this week. This is on my 65 Commander
    Attached Files
    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

I was going to ask a similar question. I have a 66 v8 here that has a hose from the oil filler Tube (about 3/8 inside dia. ) running to the back of the carb, it also has a PCV type fitting in the back of the intake manifold going nowhere?

Is the front one supposed to go to the back one, and some sort of 'T' may be missing with a small hose going to the carb base?

My 65 V has no such tube on the oil filler tube.

Comment

Originally posted by (S) View Post
      I was going to ask a similar question. I have a 66 v8 here that has a hose from the oil filler Tube (about 3/8 inside dia. ) running to the back of the carb, it also has a PCV type fitting in the back of the intake manifold going nowhere?

Is the front one supposed to go to the back one, and some sort of 'T' may be missing with a small hose going to the carb base?

My 65 V has no such tube on the oil filler tube.
      glad I wasnt the only one. I was curious if it was something I could just cap off and get rid of or put a filter on and attach it to the firewall. I will definitely take some better pics and more of them when I get over there this weekend.

Comment

That vintage Chevy V8 had a port on the rear of the block (to the rear of the intake manifold) that led to the "valley" under the intake. Ones without a closed crankcase vent system attached a road tube there and the make up air came in through a breather cap on the oil fill tube. Those that had a closed system had a fitting on the oil fill tube with a PVC valve and hose to the intake manifold. A tube from that port on the rear of the block to the air cleaner provided the make up air.

Later Chevy V8s didn't have the port on the rear of the block so if the motor has been replaced with a later one, there are several other ways to vent the crank case...some of them probably pretty "creative".
        Last edited by Dick Steinkamp; 04-17-2012, 07:02 AM.
        Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

This 66 is pretty new to us and I had limited time under the hood on it. It does need some TLC under the hood, so when there is more time I'll look in the parts book and see how it all goes.

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
            That vintage Chevy V8 had a port on the rear of the block (to the rear of the intake manifold) that led to the "valley" under the intake. Ones without a closed crankcase vent system attached a road tube there and the make up air came in through a breather cap on the oil fill tube. Those that had a closed system had a fitting on the oil fill tube with a PVC valve and hose to the intake manifold. A tube from that port on the rear of the block to the air cleaner provided the make up air.

Later Chevy V8s didn't have the port on the rear of the block so if the motor has been replaced with a later one, there are several other ways to vent the crank case...some of them probably pretty "creative".
            In my case, it is the original 283 "thunderbolt". I will have to figure out which system mine was set up with. What is the easiest way to tell? I really need to pick up an FSM.

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post
              In my case, it is the original 283 "thunderbolt". I will have to figure out which system mine was set up with. What is the easiest way to tell? I really need to pick up an FSM.
              What are your clues that it is original? If it is, it will fall into the proper serial number range. Check it against those at the bottom of this page...

V8 Engine ID

The serial number can be found on the front right top corner of the block.

The engine is not the original color. It should be black. That blue was used on later Chevy V8's (70's and 80's).

Take the air cleaner off and take some overall and detailed pics of the engine and I'm sure we can help you set up a workable crank case ventilation system.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Dick is correct.
                There is a hose that comes from the old "road draft tube" on the back of the block to the air cleaner. The idea was to draw the crankcase fumes
                into the engine and burn them thru the combustion process.
                I have Scott's 66 Cruiser with the factory correct engine and his has the tube hose arrangement I am talking about.
                I may be able to take a pic later and send it to you if it would help you.
                George King
                Grants Pass, Oregon
                64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                  What are your clues that it is original? If it is, it will fall into the proper serial number range. Check it against those at the bottom of this page...

V8 Engine ID

The serial number can be found on the front right top corner of the block.

The engine is not the original color. It should be black. That blue was used on later Chevy V8's (70's and 80's).

Take the air cleaner off and take some overall and detailed pics of the engine and I'm sure we can help you set up a workable crank case ventilation system.
                  James, from the Bell Collection, told me that it was the original. I will verify by running the numbers this weekend though. I will be sure to take the detailed pics as well.

Originally posted by Orestudeguy View Post
                  Dick is correct.
                  There is a hose that comes from the old "road draft tube" on the back of the block to the air cleaner. The idea was to draw the crankcase fumes
                  into the engine and burn them thru the combustion process.
                  I have Scott's 66 Cruiser with the factory correct engine and his has the tube hose arrangement I am talking about.
                  I may be able to take a pic later and send it to you if it would help you.
                  The pics would be great if you can get them.

Comment

I sent you pictures of the 1966 Cruiser engine. Did you get them?
                    George King
                    Grants Pass, Oregon
                    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

yes I did get them, sorry that I missed your response on here. My apologies George.

Attached are a few more pictures of my set up that I was able to snag on Sunday.

There was no inlet on the air cleaner unit for this hose to plug in to. Could it possibly plug into the blocked carb unit?

Comment

Yes...that is a hose on the port that is on the rear of the block on early SBC's. The only ones I have seen go to the base of the air cleaner to provide make up air for the PVC valve. The PVC valve is generally on a hose going from the oil fill tube (or directly on the oil fill tube) to the intake manifold.

It is possible that there is a closed CCV system that has a pvc valve in the hose you show that would then connect to the intake or base of the carb. Then the make up air could be drawn in through a vented oil fill cap.

Can you provide a picture of the oil fill tube?
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

Is this the pic that you wanted to see?

Comment

Originally posted by cultural infidel View Post

Is this the pic that you wanted to see?
                            Yep.

That's a vented oil fill cap and there is no fitting on the oil fill tube for a PCV valve or a hose...therefore, the hose in this picture...

...should go to a vacuum source with a PCV valve installed prior to the vacuum source.

You'll probably find a pipe plug somewhere in the intake manifold or the base of the carb you can use as the vacuum source. Either use a PCV valve that will screw directly into the manifold/carb base with a hose barb on the other end and attach the loose hose to it, or put a fitting into the manifold/carb base with a hose barb on the other end and use a PCV valve with hose barbs on both ends IN the hose.

The PCV valve is a one way valve. If you suck on one end, you can draw air. Suck on the other end and you can't. Make sure the PCV valve is installed so that air will flow TOWARDS the intake manifold...in other words, when the engine is under light load and producing vacuum, crankcase vapors will be drawn into the engine and burned. Air to replace the crank case vapors will be drawn into the crank case via the vented oil fill cap.

You will most likely have to readjust your idle speed and mixture.
                            Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

Do you think that it may have originally gone to the port in this picture? The one with the bolt attached to the black hose? It appears that it is part of the base of the carb.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X