PDA

View Full Version : Continuation of the kingpin saga....

63 R2 Hawk
04-14-2012, 12:40 AM
So a month or so ago, I noticed a very slight amount of play in my right kingpin. The left side seemed pretty tight so I decided it was time to do a quick bushing/bearing replacement on both sides since I always had problems with grease coming out the bottom of the steering knuckle when I lubed it. The right side went pretty good, the kingpin measured fine with no wear so I replaced everything, including the missing "O" ring at the bottom which allowed the grease to come out the bottom and the outer wheel bearing and race. When I disassembled the "good" left side, I found a badly scored kingpin where a stone or something had stuck in the bushing. The kingpin had been been turned down slightly and an undersized bushing was reamed to fit. :( Also, the upper "A" arm bolts were extremely loose, I think that might have been causing some tracking and steering issues nobody could seem to diagnose! A friend had an NOS kingpin, luckily, and I decided it was also time to replace the "A" arm bushings, since one had a small torn spot. Well, turns out that, unbeknownst to either of us, the NOS kingpin pinch bolt hole was slightly misdrilled so the pinch bolt wouldn't clear the groove in the pin. A little machine work on the pin and I got it to fit finally. So much for a quick kingpin refresh! My CASO status is still intact though... Hope to have it aligned Monday since I'm having surgery on Tuesday.

dnevin
04-14-2012, 08:42 AM
Well, there always seems to be a surprise on these cars! I bet you're really glad you bothered to do this now.

Best of luck on the surgery--we're thinking of you.

sweetolbob
04-14-2012, 10:16 AM
A completely rebuilt suspension enhances the driveability of these cars more than one would ever think. It was night and day with my Avanti.

Well worth the effort.

Bob

63 R2 Hawk
04-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Hello Dave, and thanks for the "good luck". I'm having my gall bladder yanked out so everything should go smoothly. Let me know when you're ready to do your kingpins, I'm not an expert but I know a LOT more than I did last month- if I can only remember it now..... I've been working on getting the '32 Stude ready to paint, it's going to be fun to drive it again!

Well, there always seems to be a surprise on these cars! I bet you're really glad you bothered to do this now.

Best of luck on the surgery--we're thinking of you.

speycaster
04-14-2012, 01:11 PM
my blessing are with you ed ed in corvallis

63 R2 Hawk
04-14-2012, 10:59 PM
my blessing are with you ed ed in corvallis

Thanks Ed. Hope to see that J hawk soon! My GT drives pretty nice now, even without a much needed alignment.