View Full Version : #274974 rubber hood bumper ?

04-13-2012, 05:03 PM
These are used on c,k cars and c-cab trucks as well as other models.can anyone tell me what size drill bit to use for these.

Thanks all.

04-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Are you drilling new holes for them Joe? I would go 1/32" less than the stem of the bumper.

04-14-2012, 12:14 PM
I do not know the drill bit size, but I want to mention something else relative to these. They came in a variety of sizes (height). I used to just get the larger ones and use a razor blade to adjust them for a proper fit. I don't know if the different sizes are still available or if it is just one size fits all now (they can still be adjusted).

04-15-2012, 01:47 PM
The different sizes did have part numbers, smaller ones went on stone deflector panels and various places. # 287427 , Thick ones went in door jambs and rear hood corners, thin ones also were used in door jambs. 1930's to 1952

The most common size supercedes them in most books, part number 274974 and does the hood jamb on many early models, Trucks and hawks all the way to 1964 on some models. I show some of the more rare ones as other part numbers, but these are very limited stock not worth mentioning.

These went into a hole just slightly smaller than 3/8 inch. A 3/8 bit fits tight in a Hawk fender I have here.

04-16-2012, 12:45 AM
You guys are great when someone needs a question answered.
Thanks Forum members!
I just wish the SDC members who don't use this forum realize how much info they are missing out on????
Good Roads

04-16-2012, 03:05 PM
I found those rubber bumpers for my 57 Champion on the HELP rack at Auto Zone. They matched the originals perfectly! Just lucky I guess. Sometimes I hit it right. Did I tell you the time I picked up 40 Studebaker Champion grilles for a friend, Bill Gramlich? Well I got his right but wrong for my 40 Nash. Karma ! Karma! Karma!