How to price rare 1932 part(s)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to price rare 1932 part(s)?

Out of the blue I get a snail mail from someone restoring a '32 Rockne "65".
    Probably got my name from the ASC roster. Opens with "Dear Sir" and probably sent to anyone in the ASC with a Rockne.
    The gentleman is looking for "a rear-end, preferably from hub to hub."

Maybe I'm the only one who has exactly what he needs. It was removed perhaps thirty years ago and is complete from input to drums and includes rear brake cables. I'll never need it unless my rear axle goes south. I've been accused of being a pushover and have given much stuff away, as have many of you. That's the way we fertilize Studebaker's future.
    This I can't give away; just want to be reasonable...and, I have absolutely no clue to value.

If you needed it, and were surviving on Social Security (heck, I don't know; maybe the guy is an agent for Jay Leno) what would it be worth?

Or, do you say, "I have exactly what you need. Make an offer." ?
    Last edited by rockne10; 04-12-2012, 06:47 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

$250 - $350 seems about right to me. Of course if I needed it I would recommend $25 - $30.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I think Richard's assessment is fair (not the scenario where HE needs it, of course) Probably alot of Rocknes out there with 9" Fords under them
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Richard's thinking is certainly in the ballpark. His estimates are over 'scrap price' and yet affortable for anyone truly into old vehicles. A fair range.

Frank Drumheller
        Locust Grove, VA
        60S-W6
        M16-52 Boyer-bodied 1948 fire truck

Comment

Brad Johnson,
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I often wonder what became of the tan and cream 4-dr my late Stude dealer friend had. It was really nice - inside and out. I know it sold of course, but have no idea where it ended up.
            No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

There's a '33 Rockne parts car on ebay not too far from you in Ohio, 2nd or 3rd time I've seen it. Looks like a lot of hard to find parts on it. I'd bid on it if it wasn't so far away, there's several parts that would work on my '32 model 55.

Comment

I think that Richard's assessment is a good one.
                Another approach is to put it on eBay with a starting bid or reserve that you can live with and notify the guy that it is on eBay. This lets the market detemine the price.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 63 R2 Hawk View Post
                  There's a '33 Rockne parts car on ebay not too far from you
                  Thanks, Ed.
                  I sent the link to the fellow looking for the axle. There's a lot more car there than I can offer. If he can get that, he's better off. If it doesn't work for him, I still have what he needs.

I would be interested in it myself if I were a rich, retired, freewheeling old car buff.

Then there's this example.
                  http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...item256f21cf2a No sale at 30 grand! And the BIN? Ridiculous.
                  Last edited by rockne10; 04-14-2012, 05:12 PM.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

$2500.00 is cheap if you cannot find another one.....

Comment

I understand that sentiment and have often been the victim of it.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Working...
                      X