Studebaker Security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Security

I store my Studebakers in a garage about three miles from my house. It locks up well but I want to add a security system. I have electricity but no other services. I would like to hear what security systems other folks use that they are happy with. Any input?

Thanks,
    John
    Attached Files
    John
    59 Silver Hawk
    3E12D-122-C4

john,
    I'm sorry I can't help you with your question but I'd like to see a larger picture of that '33 in your avatar
    Gary Sanders
    Nixa, MO

Comment

Ha ha! I have been hoping someone would ask me about that car. I took that picture at an auction of Len Finelli's cars in Columbus, Ohio back in the early nineties maybe. It is a scan of a photo I took back then. I was hoping someone knows of the car. I would love to see it again! This is the best I can do.
      Attached Files
      John
      59 Silver Hawk
      3E12D-122-C4

Comment

if you have electricity, you can certainly get a phone out there.......then have ADT install a security system that automatically calls you and the police if there are any problems

Comment

Any decent, motion activated DIGITAL camera is pretty good. If needed, it can be enhanced by the FD, PD or whatever you need. be sure lights are also activated so you get a decentpicture. Nowdays, almost any image can be enhanced. $200 bucks goes a long way, and you may get a break on insurance if they know its in and working.

Welcome to my world,... and say 'cheese'... click

Comment

Panthers. Or tigers.

Okay, but seriously, it depends on your budget. If you have no way of getting a phone line out there to get the ADT option mentioned above, you could build a system that would basically do the same thing but cost a lot more. It would require a cheap (used even) dedicated laptop, a 3g/4g Internet card from a cell phone carrier, a USB motion sensor, and a webcam if you want image capture and remote viewing. It's probably just simpler to run a phone line out there.
            '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

On the cheap side, you could buy a hunters spy camera. The camera has a motion sensor that takes pictures whenever there's movement. The case has a lock, and could be bolted to a wall discretely. The biggest problems with a solution like this are that 1) you don't know the car is gone until you personally come back to check. (If you're out of town for a couple weeks, the theft could happen a day after you leave), and 2) the thief just needs to hit the camera with a big rock to prevent you from seeing his picture.
              '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Comment

Seems to me the thief would have himself a nice Stude AND a nifty new camera! You need something that notifies you and the authorities if disturbed.
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948
                http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I have several levels of security in my man cave. Number one...It mostly contains "Studebakers!" Who the heck wants one of those?...Number two...I keep it so messy and junked up that anyone wanting to steal anything would have to "clean up" before they could "clean out." No self-respecting thief wants to work that hard. Number three...I catch and release just about every snake I can find into the man cave. (I have never had a mouse eating snake chew a hole in a headliner.) Number four...I have an irritating strobe light activated by a motion detector (Mainly to keep the barn cats off the cars.) Number five...I have an old malfunctioning smoke detector that emits an unnerving beep about every two seconds. Nearly every visitor has asked me what type of security system I have making that sound. I usually respond that it is a secret system that I invented myself.

It also helps to be living on a hill with little cover. Even the new neighbors (polluting the former pristine field across the road with new houses) have a clear view of this mess. Since I was here first...they can't complain that they didn't know about my junk.

However, If someone comes in and steals it all, my first reaction will be to see if I can determine whether it was a neighbor or my wife that hired someone to come and haul it off.
                  John Clary
                  Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I sell and use digital game cameras you can buy a 4mp infrared motion activated game camera for 60 bucks. There easy to use conceal well and cheap. They take great pics and nobody even knows there pic was taken.
                    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Thanks to everyone for responding! Sounds like adding the phone service is the way to go in my situation. I would like to copy jclary’s system but I have tough code enforcement officers in my neighborhood who I’m sure would be on me before I could catch the first snake (and I’d have to import those from some nearby park).

John
                      John
                      59 Silver Hawk
                      3E12D-122-C4

Comment

289stude, what brand camera are you selling for 60 bucks? I'm interested in several for deer hunting. My guess is Moultree.....
                        It is an addiction!

Comment

I really want to beleive you just blurted this out John,but just can't get there <GGGGG>
                          Originally posted by jclary View Post
                          I have several levels of security in my man cave. Number one...It mostly contains "Studebakers!" Who the heck wants one of those?...Number two...I keep it so messy and junked up that anyone wanting to steal anything would have to "clean up" before they could "clean out." No self-respecting thief wants to work that hard. Number three...I catch and release just about every snake I can find into the man cave. (I have never had a mouse eating snake chew a hole in a headliner.) Number four...I have an irritating strobe light activated by a motion detector (Mainly to keep the barn cats off the cars.) Number five...I have an old malfunctioning smoke detector that emits an unnerving beep about every two seconds. Nearly every visitor has asked me what type of security system I have making that sound. I usually respond that it is a secret system that I invented myself.

It also helps to be living on a hill with little cover. Even the new neighbors (polluting the former pristine field across the road with new houses) have a clear view of this mess. Since I was here first...they can't complain that they didn't know about my junk.

However, If someone comes in and steals it all, my first reaction will be to see if I can determine whether it was a neighbor or my wife that hired someone to come and haul it off.
                          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Don`t leave your keys in your car . ( like i usually do ) . .
                            This happened just blocks from where i work . ( ok , it`s only a Chevy ) . .

Comment

A phoneline is not needed if you have good cell coverage. We have a monitored alarm at our house that has battery backup and cell phone instead of landline. We have alarm service to the police in the event of a power failure, natural or otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                              X