A friend of mine has a 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A friend of mine has a 1962 Gran Turismo Hawk

It's maroon and looks pretty decent inside and out; good chrome, no apparent rust, 65k miles. I noticed immediately that it had dual exhausts, auto trans on the column and full instrumentation including Tach. But I was dang disappointed when we popped the hood and there was a 2bbl carb. Did they make many Hawks with 289 CID 2-V engines? Is that the 210 hp version? He wants $8k, and I was pretty interested till I saw the engine. I guess I'm just too smitten with performance cars.
    edp/NC
    \'63 Avanti
    \'66 Commander

Yes, that is the base (US) engine. My Hawk has the same setup.

Some export Hawks had the six cylinder motors. All the rest were 289s, but both 2 and 4 bbl carbs were available.
    Jim K.
    63 Hawk

Comment

A 4 barrel conversion can be done for a few hundred bucks. It still should be a 289.

Comment

Yeah, don't pass up a great car just because of 2 missing venturi

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Buy it and enjoy an economical car with sufficient power to get you around easily. I have heard of people getting 24-25 mpg with this setup. Course, they could just be bragging......

Comment

I have heard of people getting 24-25 mpg with this setup. Course, they could just be bragging......
            Somehow, I always owned the ones which got 14-16 MPG in town and 18-20 highway, if they had overdrive. The automatic usually got a couple MPG less.

Yes, the 4-bbl is an inexpensive addition.

No, in normal driving, you'll never notice the difference between the 2-bbl and 4-bbl.

Maybe, for that price buy it and see how you like it.

jack vines
            PackardV8

Comment

To:edpjr,----- 65K, No rust, and a Full dash? Sounds to Me like a pretty good deal even if it came without a carb!

Comment

My 4 speed 63 came stock with a 2 barrel. It might have been the nicest driving Stude I've owned (but that's another thread)...

Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

To: Dick Steinkamp,-----A friend here in Mass. owned a '63 GT Hawk painted that same Champagne Gold Color (P-6315 I believe). For a moment, I thought I was looking at His car! That color, In My opinion, really adds a touch of
                  class to an already very classy automobile.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    To: Dick Steinkamp,-----A friend here in Mass. owned a '63 GT Hawk painted that same Champagne Gold Color (P-6315 I believe). For a moment, I thought I was looking at His car! That color, In My opinion, really adds a touch of
                    class to an already very classy automobile.
                    If I was ordering one new "back in the day", I probably would have ordered white or red or black. That would have been a mistake (IMHO). The Champagne Gold is MADE for these cars.
                    Dick Steinkamp
                    Bellingham, WA

Comment

That is a beautiful '63 Wagonaire. I owned a white sliding roof '63 wagon with white & blue interior in 1973.

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
                      If I was ordering one new "back in the day", I probably would have ordered white or red or black. That would have been a mistake (IMHO). The Champagne Gold is MADE for these cars.
                      edp/NC
                      \'63 Avanti
                      \'66 Commander

Comment

Working...
                      X