Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting worn out from my basket case Lark!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting worn out from my basket case Lark!

Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I've been here regularly. I blame my busy work schedule.

Anyway, the more I dig into my grandpa's old Lark, the more I'm ready to take the advice of a couple guys here who got to see it in person and just make it a parts car for something more complete.

That being said, I've started searching for a replacement candidate, but not a lot of luck so far. I'm hoping to find either a 59 or a 60 hardtop. It can be a little rough as far as the body, interior, and glass go, but I'd love to find something that runs and drives. It would be a bonus if the floors and trunk were mostly there.

Another option is that there's another hardtop I'm looking at that is in okay shape, but needs a motor. If I went this route, I'd love to find a ready-to-use motor (doesn't need to be a rebuild, just running) that I could transplant.

If anyone has and leads, let me know. I'm not able to spend too much on this project, but if the right one came along that were close to my budget, I'd take a good look at it.

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by JimC; 04-04-2012, 07:41 AM.
    '63 Lark Custom, 259 v8, auto, child seat

"Your friendly neighborhood Studebaker evangelist"

Well, mine was worse that that when I started, but I kept the vision in my head of what it should look like, even when others couldn't imagine that. I love the 59/60 Larks, but couldn't justify the time and money that it took to do a C/K. Came out upside down on my 55K but making up for it in the compliments it draws. Good luck with it. Anyone keeping another Stude on the road gets my respect.
    Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
      Well, mine was worse that that when I started, but I kept the vision in my head of what it should look like, even when others couldn't imagine that. I love the 59/60 Larks, but couldn't justify the time and money that it took to do a C/K. Came out upside down on my 55K but making up for it in the compliments it draws. Good luck with it. Anyone keeping another Stude on the road gets my respect.
      This site needs a like button!

Comment

Thanks guys. I'm still looking. A member here has a pretty 2 door Coupe I've seen in person before that looks pretty fair. Of course, my first love is the hardtop (well, in truth, I'd love a convertible, but the hardtop is a very close second), and I've recently found a 59 hardtop just outside of Topeka Kansas. It's not running and the motor looks to be in pretty rough shape (not to mention three hours south of here), but the body shots I've seen seem to be devoid of "typical" rust, and the guy claims that it was a New Mexico car prior to coming up to the great plains. I'm not sold on that one yet though, because there are a couple weird anomalies (like the front passenger side fender is not connected to the front panel, which actually looks like it came off a different car) and I'd really like to get a closer look before I'd commit to that.

Bottom line, it would make my day to have something that I could drive by Drive your Studebaker day in September, but even if it was something that took till next spring, that would be a lot better than where I sit at this moment.

Thanks!

Comment

Do yourself a favor and buy the "Best" one you can find............it will save you a lot more money than you think down the road.
          And don't settle! How many more do you plan to build? Unless the answer is "a few more" or "Lots" than get the one you really want! They are out there.
          And distance doesn't cost that much???
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Just remember Moses started out as a "basket case" too. He went on to do alright.
            Neil Thornton

Comment

Of course, Moses had God on his side. Some days I think all creation is conspiring against this project

Anyone got a decent motor for grabs? I'm growing more optimistic that this hardtop near Topeka might be worth hauling back, but the motor does not look too pretty. Here are a couple pics:

Click image for larger version

Name:	rear view.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	1672339

Name:	trunk empty.jpg
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	1672340

Name:	engine compartment.jpg
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	1672341

Name:	pass side.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1672342

Name:	front end.jpg
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	1672343

Comment

Saw this on the H.A.M.B. Forum. It is a half a continent away but it is a hardtop.

Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

You'll have just as much rust on that Topeka one, I bet. Hold on 'til you find a better candidate to spend the $ on. Structural integrity is harder to replace than motor and tranny. Cool searching.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by prepare2win View Post
                    This site needs a like button!
                    Or an 'easy' button.
                    Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by warrlaw1 View Post
                      You'll have just as much rust on that Topeka one, I bet. Hold on 'til you find a better candidate to spend the $ on. Structural integrity is harder to replace than motor and tranny. Cool searching.
                      What tempts me to go take a look at the Kansas car is that it lived in New Mexico up until the last 6 or 7 years. It is probably rougher than I'd like, but they're only asking $500 for it, and he has a title, which is nice, as I think that the first step to storing a Lark for more than a couple years is to throw the title into a waste basket. None I've found so far have one.

Comment

Better than this: Turning Wheel March 2012 page 50: 1960 lark convertible V8 . rebuilt engine: Needs body work: USD 2800

Probably you will spend more trying to recover the Topeka rusted hardtop

Comment

How did I not see that? I have to go through my March issue again now. Anyone know if it's still up for grabs?

Comment

Actually, I did see that. I emailed on it a while back, and it's already gone. Go figure. The price was fair.

Comment

Hey - does anyone have a spare "batwing" crossmember for the 59-60 larks? I know a guy that would give me a car I could rip into for one, but that's an awful lot of work. If I decide to just keep plugging away at my Lark (which is looking more and more likely at this point), that's one thing I need. Many years ago, some reckless idiot tried jacking up the car from the crossmember, and bent it up by several inches on one end. Let me tell you, I wanted for the longest time to beat that idiot every time I saw him in my bathroom mirror. Still do sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                              X