1941 Champion information

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1941 Champion information

I was wondering if anyone knew how to decode the "VIN" number on a '41 Champion. I know an actual VIN number wasn't implemented until quite a few years later, but I didn't know what else to call it. I was mainly interested in knowing exactly where the car was produced (I know Studebaker had a factory in Los Angeles, but I don't know when it opened). If it helps, the car is a maroon and white sedan with overdrive and hillhold. Any information would be very much appreciated.

The number is:

G815746

Thanks,

Kevin
    sigpic

"What a lucky thing the wheel was invented before the automobile; otherwise can you imagine the awful screeching?" - Samuel Hoffenstein

Parts catalog indicated starting serial number for Los Angeles assembled 1941 Champions was G811,201. South Bend Champions started at G90,101.

Comment

Doug is correct, the actual serial range for L.A. Champions was G811201 to G820902. Just over 9000 were built there. The Pacific plant assembled its first Studebaker on November 23, 1935 (a 1936 model), the last on June 6, 1956. By 1941 they were responsible for about 10% of the companies total production. You can get a copy of the production order for your '41 from the Studebaker National Museum, click here for details: https://studebakermuseum.org/store/production-orders/.

Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Kevin,

Welcome to the world of Studebakers. I also have a 1941 Champion Custom Deluxe. I am not sure what your intent is with the car, but Mr Andrew Beckman is the Archivist there at the National Studebaker National Museum and he has been able to dig up information for me. Mine is a complete off the frame restoration and needless to say, it has been a very interesting learning experience for me.

John

Comment

Thank you to everyone who answered. The body and interior of the car have been fully restored, but mechanically it is largely original. Working on it has been a great learning experience and it's good to know more about its history.
          sigpic

"What a lucky thing the wheel was invented before the automobile; otherwise can you imagine the awful screeching?" - Samuel Hoffenstein

Comment

Working...
          X