Hawk trim removal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Hawk trim removal

I have to prep my 63 Hawk for paint, however i can't seem to figure out how to remove the three chrome strips that run on both sides and between the windshield wipers. These are mounted on the body above the fire-wall. I can slide a slim putty knife up under them, they seem to be attached with either a clip or bolt-on, can anyone shed some light on this, i'm being extra cautious not to damage them.

They are bolt on. The nuts on the studs are not much fun to get to. You will have to remove the glove box, radio, and some other stuff...and then stand on your head under the dash and curse a lot.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Having done these before, I can attest that Dick is understating the fun you will have.

I recommend a nut driver/ small socket with several extensions. The flexible extensions may work, but I found they didn't always turn a nut that has a lock washer under it. In addition, the bolts may break off, so you may be best to lubricate and turn off slowly.

When you re-install them, make sure you put some dum-dum or something around the holes - these holes seem to be a source for water leaks.

Comment

Removing the front seat(s) helps a lot when you have to work under the dash. It is well worth the time it takes.

Comment

Early C/K cars like my '53 used studs with little "C" shaped bars and nuts under the cowl and behind the dash to hold that trim on. Some later hawks they had a round clip on the studs so the trim would snap in and could be pried off from the outside. Maybe they went back to using the bars (or domed washers) and nuts on the GTs? Or, your car has been apart before and someone used nuts putting it back together. Either way, you need to look under the dash and see what is back there.

The center bar has 4 studs and the 2 short end ones have 1 stud near the wiper and a sheet metal screw on a tab down in the weatherstrip channel. Be real careful with that screw and and tab since they break off easily if pried on.

You may need to remove the wiper linkages under there to get at all the nuts. Taking out the seat and perhaps even unbolting the dash and pulling it out away from the cowl may be necessary depending on what you find and how stuck or rusted the fasteners are.

When you put the parts back on the holes need to be sealed. Orignally there were some rubber gaskets and maybe some strip caulk. I cut up closed cell foam rubber from old computer mouse pads to make the gaskets and put some silicon sealant on the stud as well.

Jeff in ND

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
            They are bolt on. The nuts on the studs are not much fun to get to. You will have to remove the glove box, radio, and some other stuff...and then stand on your head under the dash and curse a lot.
            Sorry Dick to remove the glove box in a hawk one would need a saws all since the dash is fiberglass, when putting things back I have used the valve cover grommets but you need to thin the top down some so as not to hold the trim up, they fit the cowell hole nice and the stud fits the center hole in the rubber and the nut driver and speed nuts, ya removing the seats does make it a lot easier...have fun
            Candbstudebakers
            Castro Valley,
            California

Comment

Thanks for all the info. They have never been off before, just taped and painted around. Hate like hell to have to do that, will explore it before i decide.

Comment

My bad on the glove box, Bob. I must have been thinking about my '54.

Jeff...I had not seen that other method of attaching the trim. My 63 Hawk had the studs with nuts, but it had been painted once before I got it so they could have been changed at that repaint.
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Well, after twisting myself to a pretzel, the hawk is going in with them left on, they'll have to tape them. Thanks to all.
                  Attached Files

Comment

To: BrianC,----- Your '63 Gran Turismo Hawk is absolutely beautiful!

Comment

Thanks, cant wait till the new paint is done. Though, to the average eye it was quite good, its now going to be near perfect!

Comment

I am hoping to get mine back from chrome shop before the bodyshop reinstalls the dash. They are a huge pain to remove (and install) while dash is in place. I'll be calling chrome shop tomorrow!!
                        sigpic

Packardbakerly,
                        J.D.

Comment

Working...
                        X