Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

From the archives #93 (1941 Studebaker Champion - 3rd anniversary)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the archives #93 (1941 Studebaker Champion - 3rd anniversary)

The final line stopped briefly on April 10, 1941 to commemorate the 3rd anniversary of the Champion. Studebaker executives noted in the image include Richard Hutchinson, Harold Vance, Kenneth Elliott, Paul G. Hoffman.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

How many candles on the cake?

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Other old pictures you have like that, Dick: Were the whitewalls always that dirty? 'Seems commonplace on those older cars (what few were manufactured with whitewalls), that they appear dirty in end-of-production-line photos, when you'd think they would be reasonably clean...or at least the white surface not downright filthy, as that LF appears to be. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
        Other old pictures you have like that, Dick: Were the whitewalls always that dirty? 'Seems commonplace on those older cars (what few were manufactured with whitewalls), that they appear dirty in end-of-production-line photos, when you'd think they would be reasonably clean...or at least the white surface not downright filthy, as that LF appears to be. BP
        Interesting observation Bob. Yes I have also noticed that. I have several photos from that era that show the dirty white walls. Apparently that was a task left to the dealer. I am sure Palma Motors had a "dealer preparation charge?" Tasks of that nature would probably have been left to the owners son....if he had any initiative?
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Must have run out of side view mirrors that day .

Comment

Could it be that the wheels during vehicle assembly were running in a through, ala drive through car wash, scuffing up the whitewalls.
            Frank van Doorn
            Omaha, Ne.
            1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
            1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
            1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              At least in the 1950s, new wide whitewalls came with a protective coating on the white part of the tire.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                Interesting observation Bob. Yes I have also noticed that. I have several photos from that era that show the dirty white walls. Apparently that was a task left to the dealer. I am sure Palma Motors had a "dealer preparation charge?" Tasks of that nature would probably have been left to the owners son....if he had any initiative?
                That he would, Dick.

Two favorite scents from dealership days are constant: Westley's Bleche-White and Sparkle Glass Cleaner. Both distinctive, although Westley's is not to be taken in strong doses. AFAIK, those products still have those same distinctive odors, and Westley's still slightly misspells bleach. BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  At least in the 1950s, new wide whitewalls came with a protective coating on the white part of the tire.
                  'Well into the 70s, Gary, too...at least when I was mounting tires in different Shell stations where I worked as late as circa 1973. BP

Comment

The WWW I just bought for my truck has a blue coating that washed off with soap and water, then they were also fully wrapped, old school style.
                    I have found with Harley WWW tires that the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser works wonders on WW tires.

Comment

I think it's interesting that there's a speed limit sign posted inside the factory. Probably for the drive off I'd assume.
                      Chris Dresbach

Comment

41 Studes sure are pretty to me. I'll have one someday. There is a rough one right down the street from me but it probably can't be bought.
                        Jamie McLeod
                        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                        1958 Commander "Christine"
                        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                        1955 Commander Sedan
                        1964 Champ
                        1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                        X