Frost and French/dealer ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frost and French/dealer ?

One of my buddies from L.A. that started the L.A. Roadster club was going thru his stuff the other day and found a couple of business cards he gave me. One is Lionel Stones that I am familiar with, but the other is from Frost and French Inc. in L.A., that has Avanti-Studebaker-Packard on the front, and a really neat looking red and gold peel-off emblem on the back that celebrates their 50th anniversary, 1925 to 1975. Anyone familiar with these folks, I don't remember the name, but being a Tn. and Al boy back then, not surprised, even tho' I did order from vendors out of TW occasionally. This particular card is from Bob Moss, the parts manager.

j.byrd, Yes Frost & French was in LA, Their last location was on S. Alvarado street, I think it was 939, but not sure. Studebakers West bought them out years ago. OK, I gotta ask your buddy from LA, Wouldn't be one Dick Scritchfield would it? Dick now lives in Hawaii and is one of the founding members of the LA Roadster club!

Jim
    "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
    their Memorials!

Comment

Hey, Jim, you got it, Scritch is right up the street and doing great ! We are in a few "clubs" together, but just enjoy hanging out with him. He is a genuine item !! The address on my card Scritch gave me shows F & F were on Berendo St. at the time they were dealing with him, were they an actual dealership before Studebaker closed up ? John

Comment

Yes, for years they were a 3rd. St. and Western Ave. in downtown L.A. My father bought his 53 K in late 53 from them. And say hi to Dick. My old business partner Tex Collins sold him a roadster pick up body when we owned U.S. Speed Sport in North Hollywood.
        Last edited by Alan; 04-01-2012, 06:35 PM.

Comment

Alan, did you know my brother, Dick Johnson? He owned Fiasco Automotive in North Hollywood with Terry Clairmont.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Saw my first Avanti on their showroom with my dad. 1962 when they were on Western. Bought a lot of parts from them. Lots of Studebakers were put back on the road by them. Very helpful mechanics who would answer your questions and show you what to do if need be.
            Dan

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
              One of my buddies from L.A. that started the L.A. Roadster club was going thru his stuff the other day and found a couple of business cards he gave me. One is Lionel Stones that I am familiar with, but the other is from Frost and French Inc. in L.A., that has Avanti-Studebaker-Packard on the front, and a really neat looking red and gold peel-off emblem on the back that celebrates their 50th anniversary, 1925 to 1975. Anyone familiar with these folks, I don't remember the name, but being a Tn. and Al boy back then, not surprised, even tho' I did order from vendors out of TW occasionally. This particular card is from Bob Moss, the parts manager.
              If all Studebaker dealers had been like Frost and French we might still be seeing new Studebakers. I took my Studebakers all the way from the San Francisco Bay Area to them for jobs I didn't trust local dealers or ex-dealers to do. They gave me '56 President Classics and '57 President Classics as loaners when they were working on my cars.
              I was talking to one of the owners (can't remember if it was Mr Frost or Mr. French) in 1969. I commented on the cars he still had in his showroom. He told me that when Studebaker announced closing down in '66 they went up and down the West Coast buying new Studebakers from dealers who wanted out from under what they considered unsaleable cars. When they ran out of new Studebakers they started selling nicely refurbished Studebakers right in their showroom
              Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
              '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

If StudeRich were healthy right now, he'd have a lot to share about his time at Frost & French. Some F & F info here, including a mention of Bob Moss:
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Yes Dad knew quite a bit about Frost and French, he worked at the parts counter for a few years.

I won't spoil the details , we'll let dad reply to this post in a week or so..

Comment

Thanks loads guys, enjoyed reading the post referenced by Kurtruk, and Alan, will tell him hello and ask about the roadster pickup, I'm sure he'll have a good story. And (S), looking forward to hearing your Dad's story. You guys giving the F & F dealer all the good words sounds familiar, My Dad was parts manager at Bailey Motors in Clinton Tn. (and a couple or 3 in Knoxville later) and it seemed like a hangout for some of the nicest people- -workers, owners, and customers. Mr Bailey encouraged Dad to let me hang around there as they could tell I was more than just a curious kid. LOVED them cars ! Ha ! Thanks again, John

Comment

SOme may say Stude Corp. threw their weight around and was a bad thing, but I think from the bottom to the top, and even small dealerships knew they had a job to do, One big family working together for sucess. The tradition lives on in the Club.

Comment

Great business name Clark, I recall a movie company (Adult I think) called Miracle - If it's a good fim it's a Miracle!!! Loved it, very witty.
                        John Clements
                        Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

Clark, I knew a Rich Johnson of Fiasco. Most guys I remember was by their cars. He had a late 40's or early 50's MGTC with an injected SBC he ran at Fernando in the mid 60's.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                            Clark, I knew a Rich Johnson of Fiasco. Most guys I remember was by their cars. He had a late 40's or early 50's MGTC with an injected SBC he ran at Fernando in the mid 60's.
                            That's him! Yes, that MG was his. He had a penchant for putting blowers on inline sixes and hiding them inside Chevy 150 sedans

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                            X