Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Origin of "Hawk" name...any connection with Curtiss?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Origin of "Hawk" name...any connection with Curtiss?

I've long wondered this, and maybe someone here knows: for a time in the fifties, Studebaker was being managed by executives from Curtiss-Wright (Roy Hurley et al), and around the same period Stude's sporty-car lineup became known as Hawk. Was that a simple coincidence, or was there a nostalgic reference in the new name to Curtiss' famous Hawk series of fighter aircraft?

S.

War Hawk, Tomahawk, Goshowk, Chicken Hawk. The XP-40Q was the last variant of the long-lived P-40 series. The last of the few examples built crashed during it's brief participation in the 1947 National Air Races. It was quite improved in performance over that of earlier variants, but by them, jets were coming on the scene, and the USAAF was focusing development of those.
    No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

'Would have been tough, Steve: The Hawk names were chosen in the summer of 1955, but Curtiss-Wright wasn't involved with Studebaker-Packard until early August 1956.

The August 11, 1956 Business Week article to that effect says, "By the time Hurley [Roy T. Hurley, Chairman and President of Curtiss-Wright] and James J. Nance, President of Studebaker-Packard, signed the papers last Monday...."

But the Hawks had been christened such about a year earlier. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Bob--

Thanks--exactly what I wanted to know...confirms the names as a coincidence. I knew the Packard Hawk had been something of a pet project for Mr Hurley, and wondered if the whole Hawk line may also have been and got the Curtiss-like names as a result...nope!

S.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve T View Post
          I've long wondered this, and maybe someone here knows: for a time in the fifties, Studebaker was being managed by executives from Curtiss-Wright (Roy Hurley et al), and around the same period Stude's sporty-car lineup became known as Hawk. Was that a simple coincidence, or was there a nostalgic reference in the new name to Curtiss' famous Hawk series of fighter aircraft? S.
          Studebaker was apparently very concerned about using the name "HAWK" from a legal standpoint in 1955. Primary to their concern was Humber Limited of Coventry, England and Willys-Overland of Toledo, Ohio both having previously registered derivatives of the name "HAWK." Our Mr. Richard Quinn has a copy of the document that lays out Studebaker's concern and path they chose to take. Hopefully he will chime in on this thread and perhaps post a copy of that important Studebaker - Packard Corporation letter here.
          Last edited by Welcome; 03-26-2012, 02:48 PM.

Comment

On the subject of names, though not Studebaker related, Carroll Shelby and Ford had to obtain the rights to use the "Cobra" name as it was originally an engine used by Crosley years prior. The Crosley Cobra engine was a stamped sheet metal engine that was COpper BRAzed, hence the Cobra name. It was found to lack durability and was replaced by a traditional cast iron engine called the "CIBA" (Cast Iron Block Assembly).

As I said...not Studebaker related but just a neat factoid.
            Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Perhaps they were torn between the Studebaker Hawk and the Studebaker Super Snipe! Both were Humber names. The prototype Studebaker Sceptre also used a name popularised by Humber.

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
                Perhaps they were torn between the Studebaker Hawk and the Studebaker Super Snipe! Both were Humber names. The prototype Studebaker Sceptre also used a name popularised by Humber.
                Gathering from only that one internal correspondence, it appears Studebaker just wanted to 'let sleeping dogs lie' and at that point had no specific plans to contact Humber. However, it does appear contact was made with Willys-Overland to discuss usage of "Duck Hawk" and "Aerohawk."

Comment

Working...
                X