Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 63 Avanti "Grant" steering wheel ?

My wheel is a basket case and needs replacement. I'm aware of several
    rebuilders but since I won't be keeping the car strictly original, I'm thinking
    of buying a wheel from Grant. Several members on the Avanti forum have suggested
    that Grant sells an adapter kit for use on the Avanti. The 15inch aluminum wheel with
    simulated wood rim looks very nice. Have any of you guys seen, used, or know of
    a successful use of this steering wheel ? If I install it, I can then take my time
    attempting to restore the original.
    ....Dick Curtis
    The 1950 Champion Starlight
    Santa Barbara
    CA

I have a Grant 714 14" mahogany rimmed steering wheel in my Avanti. The adapter kit is Grant #4268. Summit Racing carries both. The same kit should work on most, if not all standard Grant steering wheels. It's the adapter that makes the difference, not the steering wheel itself as far as fitting the car goes.

I'm not sure but I believe Momo and maybe some other brand steering wheels use the Grant adapter kits, since Grant is pretty much the standard in the industry for aftermarket parts like that.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Are they hard to install?
      jerry defilippi

Comment

Originally posted by jerry1 View Post
        Are they hard to install?
        Toughest part is pulling the old wheel. After that it's just bolt the parts together and get the wiring correct as per directions.

Bob

Comment

Get a steering wheel puller and the present one will pop right off. They're not expensive but many places like Pep Boys, Advance Auto and other loan tools out for free. The right tool makes the job easy.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

"Get a steering wheel puller and the present one will pop right off." I WISH! I had a steering wheel puller on my '63 for two weeks, putting a small amout of increased pressure on it every night, and, some WD40. I protected the seat and every night thought I'd find the wheel laying on the seat. WRONG! I need to replace the horn contact assembly and am stymied at this point. stupak

Comment

"thought I'd find the wheel laying on the seat"

I always try to leave the loosened nut on a few turns to "catch" the wheel when it breaks loose.
              Also helps to protect the threads ala tapered rear axles.

Comment

Originally posted by stupak View Post
                "Get a steering wheel puller and the present one will pop right off." I WISH! I had a steering wheel puller on my '63 for two weeks, putting a small amout of increased pressure on it every night, and, some WD40. I protected the seat and every night thought I'd find the wheel laying on the seat. WRONG! I need to replace the horn contact assembly and am stymied at this point. stupak
                Stupak

If you are still trying to get it off, I'd switch to PB Blaster or another decent product that is made to break rust. I'd suggest the acetone/ATF solution but I'm not sure what the acetone would do to the plastic in the assembly. WD-40 was designed to protect the metal and displace water.

Secondly, I'd take a small hammer and give the puller a rap or two as you tighten it and before you leave it overnight. Also leave the nut on as Skyway suggests to save the threads.

If you've got it off by now just disregard these thoughts.

Bob

Comment

Thanks to all for the steer (pun intended) to Grant. I plan to order a wheel this week. So many designs
                  it's hard to choose.
                  ....Dick Curtis
                  Starlightchamp
                  The 1950 Champion Starlight
                  Santa Barbara
                  CA

Comment

Originally posted by starlightchamp View Post
                    Thanks to all for the steer (pun intended) to Grant. I plan to order a wheel this week. So many designs
                    it's hard to choose.
                    ....Dick Curtis
                    Starlightchamp
                    See my reply in the Avanti Forum I post links to Summit Racing part nos. I ordered for my Grant Wheel and adapter
                    sigpic
                    John
                    63R-2386
                    Resto-Mod by Michael Myer

Comment

Bob and Skyway: Thanks for your input. Each night as I was tightning the puller a bit, I would give it a coupe of good smacks with a mallet. Nothing. I disassembled the effort a month or two ago but will give it another try. I'll follow your suggestion and leave the nut on a few turns. Sounds like a very good idea. I'm also going to try someone elses idea. They said that sometimes a puller will not pull straight back, but 'cocked'. They suggested just sitting behind the wheel and manually 'rock' the wheel side to side while pulling it. That sounds like a receipt for a broken Avanti steering wheel. I'm going to give it a try tho, but very cautiously. From what I've been through with the puller, it doesn't sound logical. But.....then again......... stupak

Comment

Working...
                      X