1966 wipers not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: 1966 wipers not working

The wipers don't work. This is a new car to me so I have no knowledge of prior situations. The wires were wrong on the switch. With a test light I'm finding no power in the blue purple wire and when pulling contacts off the circuit breaker it make a noise. There is no power in the white wire to the circuit breaker. All with ignition on. What can I do to troubleshoot this?

First get the wiring diagram for your car. This will give you the color code and the pin-out for the switch. You can find a color diagram on the SDC home page and print it off. Check that all connections on the switch are correct. Then check that you have power to the circuit breaker with your test light, after disconecting the wire going to the switch. If you have power to the C. B., connect the wire from the C.B. to the wiper switch with the sw. in the "off" position. Check that you now have power to the switch. Disconect the wires to the wiper motor and turn on the switch. With your test light check that power goes to the other pins on the sw. in the low and high positions. If it all checks out so far, you know that the C.B. and the sw. are O.K. Now connect the wiper motor wires as per the diagram with the power off, then turn on the switch with the power on. Listen for the C.B. to make a noise when you do. If the C. B. makes a noise, check and see if you still have power going through the C.B. If not, the you have a short in the wiper motor. if you do have power still going through the sw, then you have an open circuit. Look for a broken wire or a disconnected wire going to the motor. I hope this helps you find the problem. Brian

Comment

Working...
    X