Alan Alda Studebaker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alan Alda Studebaker

Was watching M.A.S.H. tonight and Alan Alda and Hot Lips were driving in a Jeep when it quit running. Alan gets out to see if he can figure out what's wrong with it. Then he kicks the grill. Hot lips asks him what he's doing. He tells her he once owned a finicky Studebaker and the only thing it understood was a swift kick in the grill. I had to laugh at that one. They can't get it going and along comes an enemy patrol. They hide and the enemy gets it running and drives away. Funny stuff.

I sat right behind Alan Alda at the NHRA winternationals about 20 years ago.
    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

M.A.S.H. was a great-fun and popular show; I was with a large group of friends for the last M.A.S.H. T.V. show - - - grins all around.
      JimsLeadCommander

Comment

I watch M.A.S.H. as often as possible. I remember this episode and its mention of Hawkeye's method of fixing his Studebaker. I believe Col. Potter has mentioned Studebakers once or twice as well over his tenure with the show.
        Joe Roberts
        '61 R1 Champ
        '65 Cruiser
        Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

I think that lots of the comments regarding makes of cars, (especially comments that could be perceived as negative) were aimed at orphan makes to keep from offending potential sponsors. Also, defunct companies are less likely to attempt a lawsuit.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That reminds me of this one from the early episodes of Starsky and Hutch.
            Starsky is with a lady that owns an old but still good-looking Cadillac. She tells him that when she bought it new, the salesman said: "this car is going to be the hit of the year".
            Starsky replies: "Year, that's what the salesman said too when my mom bought a Studebaker!" According to the tone of his voice, I don' think it was in 1951...
            You're right. M.A.S.H. is a really great show. I got to buy the DVD's one of the days.
            Nice day to all.
            sigpic

Comment

I believe Mrs. Potter drives a Studebaker. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Comment

Avoiding mention of contemporary makes would certainly avoid embarrassing them if that mention was deragatory, but there was room to mention those marques in a positive light as well. I think the mention of Studebaker is more of an effort to invoke a note of reminiscence to help take the viewer back to that era. BTW, for me, tough to impossible to name a show that gave me more laughs - even episodes I've seem many times. It's one thing to have funny lines, but it's timeless to have them delivered with the artistry that the M.A.S.H. cast did.
                No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Studebaker in Mash

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                  Avoiding mention of contemporary makes would certainly avoid embarrassing them if that mention was deragatory, but there was room to mention those marques in a positive light as well. I think the mention of Studebaker is more of an effort to invoke a note of reminiscence to help take the viewer back to that era. BTW, for me, tough to impossible to name a show that gave me more laughs - even episodes I've seem many times. It's one thing to have funny lines, but it's timeless to have them delivered with the artistry that the M.A.S.H. cast did.
                  There was one episiode, Flatt, the commie hunter, accused Hot Lips of meeting a Red in a motel while she was in college. She said, " Steve and I didnt meet in a hotel, he had a Nash."

Comment

Originally posted by S_Ferrell View Post
                    There was one episiode, Flatt, the commie hunter ...
                    His name was Col. Flagg...funny guy.

Minor claim to fame...I met Larry Linville (Major Burns). Nice guy, a pilot.
                    And this is really important to me...the helicopters in the opening scenes were not only the right type, but the correct model. I flew with an instructor in the type in suburban LA, he brother flew the helicopters for the series.
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Here's a couple that are sometimes confused for one another...

While the Bell was produced into the early 70s, I worked on the Hiller production line in 1982 - producing choppers that were virtually the same as the H23. Factr is, both types of chopper are in use to this day in agricultural operations. They often buzz our house here in California. Pretty amazing that designs from the late 40s are STILL in regular service some 60-some years later!
                      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

I believe the Potters drove a Packard, but I think that comes from another related and short lived show?

Comment

Originally posted by skyway View Post
                          I believe the Potters drove a Packard, but I think that comes from another related and short lived show?
                          That would have been "After Mash" which didn't go over.
                          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
                            While the Bell was produced into the early 70s, I worked on the Hiller production line in 1982 - producing choppers that were virtually the same as the H23. Factr is, both types of chopper are in use to this day in agricultural operations. They often buzz our house here in California. Pretty amazing that designs from the late 40s are STILL in regular service some 60-some years later!
                            Yeah, well; 'just wait until the electronics industry hears about that infraction, Bob! They'll have those suckers obsoleted in no time. <GGG> BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Fun thread!

Mrs Potter drove a blue Pontiac...at least until one of the horses the Colonel had at the time took to trying to jump over it at every opportunity...so Sherm sold the car.

The M*A*S*H Stude reference I always remember came from an episode in which Hawkeye was reminiscing with an injured soldier about the town he grew up in. At one point he mentions "the searchlights at the Studebaker dealership when the new ones came out". The soldier is convinced they grew up in the same place, so accurate are Hawk's reminiscences, and he asks Hawk when he'd been in the town...Hawkeye's reply, poignantly, "Never. I grew up in the same small town, in Maine."

Other Stude drivers in TV shows were Howard Cunningham near the end of "Happy Days" (bright orange early-model Lark 4dr that actually turns up in one episode), and Cliff Clavin in "Cheers"...

S.

Comment

Working...
                              X