Shipping Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping Help

I'm transporting a car from out west to Mass......I've contacted Peg and others and would like some updated info/ advise from any recent experiences. Here's the list so far (comments appreciated) of shippers/transporters:

Mayflower
    Best Shipping
    Stateway
    Ideal
    Uship
    All Cost
    American Auto

Any other recommendations ?

J

if you haven't, you may want to check out:

i was just about to "pull the trigger" on buying a stude 2 weeks ago from oklahoma to nc. but had to pass after another health issue popped up.
    after checking some transporters out, i requested around 10 quotes, i was inundated with e-mails and phone calls for a week...

in the past, i've always gone with a trailer to pick up a car - before handing over the $$$, but not feasible in all cases.

most all here like peg's. i was impressed with passport transport when they picked up the '40 - they have an enclosed trailer - but i'm sure the buyer paid a premium price for that.

good luck!
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

I've shipped 2 cars within the last 2 1/2 to 3 years. First time was a shipper pretty much picked off the internet Mercury Transport. The second was through Pegs.
      If you check out "AutoTransport Reviews" you will find that ALL brokers and truckers are # 1 top grade, best, safest, experienced, etc, etc, etc. The reviews on that site are a joke.
      Of the two that I used I could find no difference.
      Both started with a quote and 3 to 5 days pickup. Both took about a month to actually pickup the car. Both ended up with a price increase through the broker about $150 MORE than the original quote.
      With both, communication with the broker was sparse or non existant.
      Both ended with the trucker calling to want more money to complete the transport. The second called from 100 miles out and said he was only contracted to haul it to Santa Barbara, for me to pick it up there. Transport had been contracted from Union, Mo to Lompoc, Ca. I told him to contact Peg and not bother me with their miscommunication and that I would pay him the price Peg and I agreed to when it reached Lompoc. It was a Sunday and Peg wasn't answering phone or email. Both cars ended up appearing where they were supposed to but NOT without delays, added expense and heartburn.
      I would not recommend either broker.

So Pick a broker/transporter at random or go with a "Known". In my case it didn't make a difference. In my opinion and with my limited experience ALL brokers are flakes.
      There are a few people on the site who advise to just include price of transport when purchasing a car. So be it but the added garbage that goes with that decision isn't mentioned.
      If anyone with direct knowledge of my dealings with either broker would care to refute or agree to what I"ve said, Please do.
      South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Several folks over on the HAMB, I've used Ben D, excellent service good price.

Comment

Unlike Dan, I've always had good luck with transport companies...Peg's included. I'm probably overdue for a horror story.

Dan, I'm sure you'll recognize the pictures below. I was on the way from San Luis to LA a couple of weeks ago and just outside of Buelton on 101...

I've been up and down 101 many times and stopped once about 10 years ago to take a picture. Odly enough, the Dining Cars haven't changed any in 10 years. They will most likely be gone soon, however.
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I used Montway to transport my 53 coupe from mid Michigan to southern Arizona. They were not cheapest ($950) but more toward lower middle. I had some previous reviews from people I knew. They were quick..safe and the independant driver was a car guy that really cared for the cars.
            Mine was open transport about $1080 and the only delay was Thanksgiving holiday.
            I would not hesitate to use them again.

Montway Auto Transport
            Phone:224-220-0221
            info@montway.com
            With auto transport from Montway, you get top-notch service and convenience. Click here to learn about our trusted services and book with the trusted name in auto transportation.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
              >>>Any other recommendations ?J
              Sure...

For moving your Ferrari: http://www.reliable-carriers.com/default.cfm

For moving your Studebaker: http://www.kiwiskarriers.com/

Comment

I have used Horseless Carriage with great results.
                Mike - Assistant Editor, Turning Wheels
                Fort Worth, TX

Comment

Working...
                X