E-Gad: MORE Ted Harbit!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Gad: MORE Ted Harbit!

Subscribers are starting to receive their August 2007 copies of Hemmings Muscle Machines. Mine arrived today.

Therein is the six-page article and report on Ted and The Stude Tomato (They call it "Flyin' Tomato"!) We were able to proofread it before it went to press, so it is factually correct as well as nicely done by writer Dan Strohl.

[Well, OK; if you want to get picky, he should have said 1964 model year for the Granatellis and R3/R4 engines, instead of "1964" ...and if you want to read it other than the way it is written, you might read that the 289 engine expansion appeared in 1957. But the way those items are actually presented (the writing itself) constitutes gray areas of style, so I'll give Dan an A- overall. He made every attempt to seek compentent reviews; those points in his final writing weren't part of what was reviewed and are "writing style deviations."]

I was especially pleased that Dan squeezed in, after we had reviewed the article text, last-minute material I had sent him about Phoenix AZ Studebaker dealer Ray Tanner. In 1963, Ray and mechanic Floyd Mendehall campaigned a 1963 R2/4-Speed Lark Regal 2-door they named "The Whistler."

The Whistler held the 1963 AHRA A/Compact Stock 1/4-mile record in 1963: 13.52 seconds @ 104.52 MPH. [] As a 17-year old Stude nut, I had written Ray Tanner in 1963 and received a nice glossy photo and letter from Floyd Mendenhall, which I still have. I forwarded copies of everything (not the originals, that's for sure!) to Dan Strohl and he included The Whistler information in the article about Ted - cool beans! [8D]

BTW: OK, sleuths: To the best of our knowledge, no one has yet found The Whistler! Production Order research has led several of us to conclude it was Serial Number 63V15969, Blue Mist, with Body #63V-F4 746, shipped with engine #JTS1412 under the hood. If anyone discovers any car or body or engine with those numbers, let us know right away.)

Enjoy, all: Dan's piece on Ted and The Tomato is nice. [][] BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

"Attack of the Killer Tomato"??[)]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
    '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
    Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
    http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
    I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

"Attack of the Killer Tomato"??[)]

Tom

'63 Avanti, zinc plated drilled & slotted 03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, soon: 97 Z28 T-56 6-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves, 'R3' 276 cam, Edelbrock AFB Carb, GM HEI distributor, 8.8mm plug wires
      '63 Avanti R1, '03 Mustang Cobra 13" front disc/98 GT rear brakes, 03 Cobra 17" wheels, GM alt, 97 Z28 leather seats, TKO 5-spd, Ported heads w/SST full flow valves.
      Check out my disc brake adapters to install 1994-2004 Mustang disc brakes on your Studebaker!!
      http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...bracket-update
      I have also written many TECH how to articles, do a search for my Forum name to find them

Comment

quote:Originally posted by BobPalma

BTW: OK, sleuths: To the best of our knowledge, no one has yet found The Whistler! Production Order research has led several of us to conclude it was Serial Number 63V15969, Blue Mist, with Body #63V-F4 746, shipped with engine #JTS1412 under the hood. If anyone discovers any car or body or engine with those numbers, let us know right away.)

Doesn't Kent have a Blue Mist one? Or is his an F6 Custom?

Craig

Comment

Craig

Comment

quote:Originally posted by 8E45E

Craig
            [?]Kent? Kent who, Craig? I'll be embarrassed as soon as you tell me his last name, but it escapes me at the moment. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Craig
              [?]Kent? Kent who, Craig? I'll be embarrassed as soon as you tell me his last name, but it escapes me at the moment. BP

Comment

[/quote]

[/quote]

Kent Fedor. He is a regular poster here and goes by '54-61-62'

Craig

Comment

[/quote]

[/quote]

Craig

Comment

Wow!!!! I just received my issue today. That is a nice article. It makes all of us who were involved with the car before Ted had it feel real good. Congrats to Ted for making the car famous.
                    Denny L

Comment

Wow!!!! I just received my issue today. That is a nice article. It makes all of us who were involved with the car before Ted had it feel real good. Congrats to Ted for making the car famous.
                      Denny L

Comment

Craig
                        I knew I'd be embarrased, Craig; of course I know Kent Fedor. But his black '63 was always an R1, wasn't it? I do believe it was originally Blue Mist, though. If I'm not mistaken, Kent described it as a rusty northern car, whereas The Whistler was at least delivered in AZ, so hopefully it stayed out there! Thanks. [8] BP

Comment

Craig
                          I knew I'd be embarrased, Craig; of course I know Kent Fedor. But his black '63 was always an R1, wasn't it? I do believe it was originally Blue Mist, though. If I'm not mistaken, Kent described it as a rusty northern car, whereas The Whistler was at least delivered in AZ, so hopefully it stayed out there! Thanks. [8] BP

Comment

Close, but no cigar! I knew it was: a) 1963, b) R-powered c) an 'F' body, and d) Blue Mist! Guess I struck out on: e) its a Custom; not a Regal, and f) an R-1, not an R-2.[]

Craig

Comment

Close, but no cigar! I knew it was: a) 1963, b) R-powered c) an 'F' body, and d) Blue Mist! Guess I struck out on: e) its a Custom; not a Regal, and f) an R-1, not an R-2.[]

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X