Air Cleaner Pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Cleaner Pics

Someone put a Holley 4bbl on my 289 and it has this Edelbrock air cleaner that doesn't really fit and isn't exactly my taste. I'm debating what air cleaner to put on and was hoping for some ideas on what looks neat. I'd love to put something vintage on but it would have to fit this Holley.
    1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk (289)

I had this on my 4bbl Edelbrock on my 53 coupe..

Comment

Use the base and the element off the Edelbrock, and use an old hubcap with a hole drilled in the center for a lid.

Comment

Get one of these...

Air Cleaner Adapter

...and run a stock Stude 4 barrel air cleaner or any air cleaner made for the older 4 barrels.

OR,

SI sells the R1 air cleaner with an optional base for the newer 4 barrels.

Dick Steinkamp
        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I`m using the original one that came with the motor (396 4bbl) in my car . ( not restored ) .

Comment

Wow, that GM 396 Air Cleaner is as restricted as the stock '63-'64 Lark/Hawk 289 Air Cleaners are!

The R1 is the way to go, there is no mud, oil, water and just dust & dirt blasting into the open Element like all of the O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, Jeggs, & Edelbrock Chinese junk.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by DocHemi View Post
              Someone put a Holley 4bbl on my 289 and it has this Edelbrock air cleaner that doesn't really fit and isn't exactly my taste. I'm debating what air cleaner to put on and was hoping for some ideas on what looks neat. I'd love to put something vintage on but it would have to fit this Holley.
              How about a Studebaker air cleaner for your 289? With a bit of cutting, brazing, and drilling a readily available Studebaker 2bbl air cleaner can be adapted to the 4bbl. I modified one for an Edelbrock, but the process would be the same for the Holley.

Since the snorkel is a bit small, I first drilled some additional holes in the base, using a Unibit (step drill). After determining the height necessary to clear the linkage, I made a 12 ga. steel ring to suit the carburetor flange. I enlarged the hole in the base of the air cleaner to suit the ring, and brazed the ring in place. Once the alignment was determined, I added a dimple to the bottom of the ring to keep the air cleaner from rotating.

This allowed me to keep the vintage appearance while accommodating the 4bbl.
              Attached Files
              Jim Bradley
              Lake Monticello, VA
              '78 Avanti II
              sigpic

Comment

The first time that I read this post I missed that you have a Holley 4 barrel. Not many Studebakers running those because an Edelbrock works so easy. You didn't mention what body style. Some body styles have more room than others.
                "In the heart of Arkansas."
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

I'm not a chrome nor am I a snorkel guy. If I liked chrome Dick's or some of the louvered Vette chrome air cleaners would be my choice.

I like the stock type (SBC though) without the snorkel. I cut about a third of the front out of mine and just let the K&N filter show. Any low profile SBC should work on the Holley.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by rusty65 View Post
                    Use the base and the element off the Edelbrock, and use an old hubcap with a hole drilled in the center for a lid.
                    never heard of someone doing this before. Neat idea. Have any pics of it being done?
                    1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I considered one of those GTO louvered air cleaners (the lower profile ones). I'd love to put one of those big Caddy ones on it with the intakes on each side. Not sure how much room I have. I hadn't considered the R1 but I do like it. An original would be AWESOME but they seem pricey. I wouldn't reuse the base I have on mine as it was umm...modified with no appreciation to aesthetics and yet still doesn't fit. I guess I really need to decide what I'm going to do with the valve covers first. They're flaking badly and I don't think they're the right color. My choices are: powdercoat the originals, finned ones with Studebaker on them, or finned Offenhauser ones (why I've always liked these I don't know).

Ooops forgot to mention 1957 Silver Hawk. Personally I don't like where the fuel line connects on this Holley. I'll snap some pictures in the morning. Don't laugh at my patched together fuel system. It's finally running after several months of fighting fuel issues.
                      Last edited by DocHemi; 03-19-2012, 08:11 PM.
                      1957 Studebaker Silver Hawk (289)

Comment

I'm betting that the SI R1 repop has the same chinese chrome on it that the other do. I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it!

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                        Wow, that GM 396 Air Cleaner is as restricted as the stock '63-'64 Lark/Hawk 289 Air Cleaners are!

The R1 is the way to go, there is no mud, oil, water and just dust & dirt blasting into the open Element like all of the O'Reilly's, Pep Boys, Jeggs, & Edelbrock Chinese junk.

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
                        53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
                        57 SH (project)
                        60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                          I'm not a chrome nor am I a snorkel guy. If I liked chrome Dick's or some of the louvered Vette chrome air cleaners would be my choice.

I like the stock type (SBC though) without the snorkel. I cut about a third of the front out of mine and just let the K&N filter show. Any low profile SBC should work on the Holley.

Bob
                          That is also an awesome idea that I haven't seen done before. I may do this one or the hubcap one.
                          1960 Lark VIII Regal Wagon

Comment

I'm using a Spectre 2 inlet air cleaner with cold air induction tubes (the inlets are next to the headlights - tubes run along the inside of the inner fenders):
                            Attached Files
                            Scott Rodgers
                            Los Angeles
                            SDC Member since 1989
                            \'60 Lark HT
                            \'63 Wagonaire
                            \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Working...
                            X