3500 cars and one Avanti

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3500 cars and one Avanti

I went to the car show in Myrtle Beach this weekend and they had 3500 cars show up. About 1500 street rods and 1000 resto mods and maybe 10 Studebakers in different conditions. One Avanti, Mine! I had so many lookers and comments about my Dad had one just like that to I have never seen one before. But the judges don't seem to care much about all original cars anymore. All the trophy winners were street rods and maybe a resto mod in there just to be interesting. It took me 45 minutes to get out of the parking lot from people wanting to take pictures. It was a really fun 3 days and this was a shakedown for my old car. 300 miles round trip after sitting for 21 years. She ran great! i was proud of her

Congradulations on a good show. Got any photos of your Avanti to share with us?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

it's ok, Buck - that seems to happen quite a bit. you got it out there for all to see, take pics, and talk about studebaker and avanti. who knows how many folks you made a good impression for our cars...

regarding the judging at multi-make events - well, sometimes that gets "political"... what club they are in. who knows who. not complaining about my cars, but saw a nearly perfect '63 avanti lose as best stude to a not the greatest looking lark that a "local" owned.

i better stop.
      Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

This weeks AMBASSADOR to the brand goes to....Buck.
        Come up and receive your award...

Comment

To: Buck,----- There's one thing that holds as true today as it did in 1966.....We 'Friends of Studebaker' are used to seeing and discussing them. But at an 'all makes' car show, the guy that rolls up in ANY Studebaker model
          is going to garner a LOT of attention by the many, many folks that still have no idea what Studebaker was all about, and consider collector cars to be only Fords, GM's, and a few of the Chrysler products.

Comment

Quite common when your registration gets you two ballots.
            The 'club guys' will all 'pre-agree' to vote for one guy in the club and suddenly, he gets a block of votes and wins.
            But it is just as hard to let the people vote, as their attention span wanes after eleventeen cars and the ballot gets filled out within eyesight of the ballot box on the way out.
            Best thing to do is to go in, park it, and leave to do fun things.
            Hanging around your own car like a vulture seeking conversation and reward is kind of awkward by itself.

Question... Was this the annual 'Run to The Sun' car show that was held in Carolina Beach last year?
            Jimmy Clarke has been bugging me to bring the Yellow POS up for that one, and I keep taunting him to bring his out....
            Maybe we should both plan on it for next year....
            Jeff

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
            it's ok, Buck - that seems to happen quite a bit. you got it out there for all to see, take pics, and talk about studebaker and avanti. who knows how many folks you made a good impression for our cars...

regarding the judging at multi-make events - well, sometimes that gets "political"... what club they are in. who knows who. not complaining about my cars, but saw a nearly perfect '63 avanti lose as best stude to a not the greatest looking lark that a "local" owned.

i better stop.
            HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

That was the "Run to the Sun" but It's always been at Myrtle Beach. They take over an old shopping mall that was torn down. It's a great venue. They said that there were a hundred thousand people over 3 days. I've been going to it for years and it get bigger every year,

Comment

The show at Carolina Beach is the "Back To The Beach" event held by the Sun Coast Cruisers.
                [ http://www.suncoastcruisers.com/ ] The Eastern North Carolina Chapter attends this event as a group. We have done so since the event began at least 7 years ago. For 2012 the even will be this coming weekend,March 23 & 24. ( One thing this club does is to prevent bias in judging is that they do not allow club members' cars on the main show field. They are not eligible for any awards. As Studebaker owners we have always been treated very well. We even are allowed to park together on the show field. This show is a Friday-Saturday affair. Friday night is a cruise in (this year to Buffalo Wild Wings) which is like a car show in itself. From BWW we will cruise back to Carolina Beach to join in a parade from one end of the island to the other. The roads are closed down and monitored by law enforcement to allow this to happen. I have seen as many as 200 vehicles in the parade and 150 on the judged show field. The host hotel is the Golden Sands in Carolina Beach [ http://www.goldensandscarolinabeach.com/rooms/rates/ ] and his where most of the Studebaker folks stay. If there are rooms left ask for the Back To The Beach special rate. If you need more info. email me.
                Last edited by JRoberts; 03-18-2012, 07:16 AM.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

See ya Saturday at the beach Joe...............

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
                  The show at Carolina Beach is the "Back To The Beach" event held by the Sun Coast Cruisers.
                  [ http://www.suncoastcruisers.com/ ] The Eastern North Carolina Chapter attends this event as a group. We have done so since the event began at least 7 years ago. For 2012 the even will be this coming weekend,March 23 & 24. ( One thing this club does is to prevent bias in judging is that they do not allow club members' cars on the main show field. They are not eligible for any awards. As Studebaker owners we have always been treated very well. We even are allowed to park together on the show field. This show is a Friday-Saturday affair. Friday night is a cruise in (this year to Buffalo Wild Wings) which is like a car show in itself. From BWW we will cruise back to Carolina Beach to join in a parade from one end of the island to the other. The roads are closed down and monitored by law enforcement to allow this to happen. I have seen as many as 200 vehicles in the parade and 150 on the judged show field. The host hotel is the Golden Sands in Carolina Beach [ http://www.goldensandscarolinabeach.com/rooms/rates/ ] and his where most of the Studebaker folks stay. If there are rooms left ask for the Back To The Beach special rate. If you need more info. email me.
                  Jack White
                  Charlotte,NC
                  North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Originally posted by Buck View Post
                    ....comments about my Dad had one just like that...
                    If that were true, Studebaker would still be in business and the Avanti wouldm have been the "Mustang" before the Mustang.

I get that all the time when I show my Bearcat...

Well done for showing the flag!
                    63 Avanti R1 2788
                    1914 Stutz Bearcat
                    (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

Maybe its just me...although I have attended many many such shows....the whole 'show' field experience often leaves me feeling depressed at the end.

I find it much more enjoyable to simply take my old Studebaker out for a leisurely cruise, -best with a couple of old friends on the same wave length-, go out to a restaurant or a drive up fast food joint, followed up with a slow rumble through the local park or down a quiet country back-road (or for an extra great experience, an evening at an old-time Drive in Theater) with stops a couple of gas stations along the way.
                      Garner lots of rubber-necks, big grins, and thumbs ups, and as many old car stories as one can bear in a day. To me this just beats the living heck out of sitting in a lawn chair standing guard over my treasure for hours.
                      My car sits more than long enough while I'm working on it, am sleeping, or out earning that dough to be able enjoy my time with it, and that's when I want them wheels to be a'turning, the pipes to be a'rumbling, and once in while all four-barrels wide open, and a grin plastered on my face so big that my jaws will ache for a week.

(but I confess, I do get a lasting thrill out of landing some terrific swap-meet treasure, but many car shows don't include a swap meet.)

Comment

When I was younger, I would drive through several states to get to a show. I live about two hundred and fifty miles from Myrtle Beach and have free lodging anytime I go there. However, with gas prices as they are today, my enthusiasm has left. I got my '55 truck out yesterday and drove to the farm supply for some onion bulbs to plant in my garden. Total round trip...one mile!
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Street Rods might have the trophies, but Studes have the CLASS!...always have & always will...far ahead & outstanding!

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                            Maybe its just me...although I have attended many many such shows....the whole 'show' field experience often leaves me feeling depressed at the end.

I find it much more enjoyable to simply take my old Studebaker out for a leisurely cruise, -best with a couple of old friends on the same wave length-, go out to a restaurant or a drive up fast food joint, followed up with a slow rumble through the local park or down a quiet country back-road (or for an extra great experience, an evening at an old-time Drive in Theater) with stops a couple of gas stations along the way.
                            Garner lots of rubber-necks, big grins, and thumbs ups, and as many old car stories as one can bear in a day. To me this just beats the living heck out of sitting in a lawn chair standing guard over my treasure for hours.
                            My car sits more than long enough while I'm working on it, am sleeping, or out earning that dough to be able enjoy my time with it, and that's when I want them wheels to be a'turning, the pipes to be a'rumbling, and once in while all four-barrels wide open, and a grin plastered on my face so big that my jaws will ache for a week.

(but I confess, I do get a lasting thrill out of landing some terrific swap-meet treasure, but many car shows don't include a swap meet.)
                            Like!

Dick Steinkamp
                            Bellingham, WA

Comment

I find at some shows my truck doesn't even get a look by judges, but I still enjoy the show due to the attention the truck gets. also at a few shows where people judge I have won peoples choice which blows me away and makes up for all the no judging shows. And very seldom do I compete against a Studebaker pickup , but often compete against 5 or 6 Chevy trucks in my class.You have to go to the shows to see the people 1st, cars and trucks 2nd, and if a trophy shows up its icing on the cake.
                              Randy Wilkin
                              1946 M5 Streetrod
                              Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

Working...
                              X