Frank Sammon's Scotman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frank Sammon's Scotman

Just got the May issue of Hemmings Classic Car and one of the major articles dealt wih Frank Sammon's Scotman. Another great Studebaker Story!
    Peter Bishop

'Sounded the alarm here a couple days ago, Peter:

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Frank Sammon's the treasurer of the Long Island Region and one heck of a nice guy. He told us a few months ago, at our monthly meeting, that Richard Lentinello contacted him to see the Scotsman and take a bunch of photos. Richard told Frank that this would be a feature article in a future issue of Classic Car. The article about Frank's Scotsman is terrific. Lots of great photos (including a photo of Frank) to really show how nice the car is. Frank drives that car all over. In fact, we saw him and his car at the recent Lancaster Int'l meet.
      Last year, a bunch of us brought our Studes to the Smithtown Heritage Country Fair. I got a kick out of all the people who wanted to see Frank's car. They had tons of questions for Frank.
      I guess you can call Frank Sammon a celebrity now.
      Rog
      '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
      Smithtown,NY
      Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

I got the issue Thursday and just read the article this morning. Great article!! It brought back some fond memories of when I was a kid and Dad traded a '56 Stude wagon for a '57 Scotsman wagon. Everybody used to rib him about how cheap it was. One of the funniest things that happened with the Scotsman was "ringing the bell". Our family 1 car garage was expanded to a 3 car garage by building a lean to garage on both sides of the main garage. The garage on the right side of the main was called the "dug-out" because it was dug down to accommodate the foundation and still keep the roof in line with the main roof. Exiting the "dugout" meant coming back up a ramp to the main gravel drive and a sidewalk leading to the main house entrance. On one side of the sidewalk was a pole with an old school house (dinner) bell mounted on top. Backing out of the garage and coming up the ramp meant you had to turn before backing into the pole. Dad didn't turn one fateful day and the Scotsman rang the bell by hitting the pole, breaking the yoke that held the bell and crashing down to the roof of the car. That was another subject for ribbing that Dad endured with the Scotsman.
        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
        X