Bill Cathcart...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bill Cathcart...

...Is he still in business? I've tried all the emails addresses and his website has been pffliner for almost a year. If anyone is within close contact with him, can you verify he's physically ok, etc and find out what the story is?

thanks
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

I believe Bill has retired. A friend of mine has purchased much of his NOS, but is NOT doing the engine work/ speed part stuff.
    Bish
    sigpic"Somewhere West of Newport Center"
    1956 2E12 O/D SOLD!
    1959 4E2 4spd, TT
    1963 8E28 GSA order
    1963 8E5 SOLD!
    1963 Lark Daytona Wagonaire 289,O/D, TT

Comment

Bill is pretty much out of the engine business. He's not getting any younger, not that any of us are!
      Chip
      '63 Cruiser
      '57 Packard wagon
      '61 Lark Regal 4 dr wagon
      '50 Commander 4 dr sedan

Comment

I've heard the same thing but I didnt post it before I had a chance to call & make sure. Hopefully someone will pick up where Bill left off. He has been a standard bearer for the club & has made his own mark with Studebakers.
        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
        64 Zip Van
        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

fondly remember Bill's green Lark but haven't seen him in a number of years since I was away from the Stude world until recently. I'm retired also, and hope Bill is doing well.

Comment

Bill Cathcart is high on My 'Good Guy' list! In 1989 he saved My '55 President Speedster from a very uncertain fate. Re-selling the car to a member of the Ocean Bay Chapter of SDC, a Mr. MacDougall, who began the restoration,
            I ended up with the car and completed it. (Are they ever really done?) But it was Bill that got the ball rolling! Hope He's doing well.

Comment

Hope someome steps up to replace Bill.
              Interest in Champion Sixes remains high - not just within the Studebaker community, but in the hot rodding community as well.
              A brief stroll through the HAMB shows many folks looking for Champion parts - especially hop-up parts.
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Hope he is doing well! I was able to purchase a complete NOS grille shell for my '55 Speedster from him at Reedsville back in 1989. Ahh, the good old days!

Comment

I agree with the Kudos for Bill also. In every encounter with him he has been both very knowledgeable and a gentleman! Happy Retirement!!!
                  1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

I read all this, then picked up the phone and called Bill. He is doing OK, but says that at 75, he is slowing down. Bill's long-time friend Pete Fryer passed away a few months back, and Bill says that took the stuffing out of him. I guess we need to be sure to give Bill some injections of Studebaker energy and friendship. If you live near Bill and can either take him - or ride with him in one of his cars - to a meet, that would sure help. The occasional phone call or card to Bill, with pictures of Studebakers, would also be good.
                    Gary Ash
                    Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                    ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                    '48 M5
                    '65 Wagonaire Commander
                    '63 Wagonaire Standard
                    web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

I got into the Studebaker thing way too late. I don't know Bill. But have heard and read a lot about him.
                      Would love to have been into the Hot Rod end of Studebaker motors, even though I am not a gearhead.
                      Hopre to meet Bill some day, just for a chat.
                      Good Roads
                      Brian
                      Brian Woods
                      woodysrods@shaw.ca
                      1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

Here's a picture of Bill in his shop from a 2005 issue of Hemmings Classic Car.
                        Gary Ash
                        Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                        ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                        '48 M5
                        '65 Wagonaire Commander
                        '63 Wagonaire Standard
                        web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

Bill is a good guy. I sold all of my NOS and gently used Studebaker parts to Bill when I last moved. Of course, this was temporary (for me). I have bought and sold other Studebaker parts and cars/trucks since then, but on a smaller scale.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I had the pleasure of talking to Bill a few months ago. He's a great guy and full of knowledge which he's very ready to share. Even though I picked up a 289 to put in my 53 champion, I still have plans to do a fun rebuild of the existing 6 once I get everything else back together and driving.

Does anyone know if there's still any copies of his little book on tuning the Stude 6 for performance? I'd love to get my hands on one.
                            Dave Nevin
                            Corvallis, OR
                            1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                            Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Working...
                            X