Pop Quiz: May 2012 Hemmings Classic Car

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pop Quiz: May 2012 Hemmings Classic Car

Here's a Pop Quiz for everyone who reads Hemmings Classic Car.

May 2012 editions are arriving in subscriber mail boxes, so, admittedly, those of you who subscribe have a leg up on everybody else. Not much I can do about that, except to encourage people to subscribe to the magazine! <GGG>

Therein is a Personality Profile of automotive business legend Lee Iacocca. Mentioned within that article is a man who was an executive with Studebaker Corporation during Sherwood Egbert's tenure as President. (That's a key point, so pay attention to it or it would be easy to post the wrong answer.)

Who is that man, a Studebaker Corporation executive during Egbert's term, and what was his position at Studebaker? Again, his name appears with reference to Lee Iacocca in the May 2012 Hemmings Classic Car Lee Iacocca Personality Profile.

The first person to post both correct parts of the answer (the man's name and his position within Studebaker Corporation during Egbert's term) wins their choice of two NOS, unused Studebaker letterhead envelopes OR one copy of the 1962 Lark Pace Car mailer I just had reprinted.

(Previous winners, please recuse yourselves. Thanks.) BP
    Last edited by BobPalma; 03-16-2012, 10:25 AM. Reason: grammar
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Brook Stevens--Designer

Comment

Originally posted by Marie Mac View Post
      Brook Stevens--Designer
      No, Marie. Brooks Stevens isn't mentioned in the Iacocca Personality Profile.

Also, I don't believe Brooks Stevens should be identified as a Studebaker Corporation executive. His design firm was hired by Studebaker to do extensive work, but Brooks Stevens & Associates (or similar name; I'm not sure of the exact title right now) would be known as an "Independent Contractor."

'Good guess, though. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

It was only a guess--I don't get the Hemmings Magazine--just gave it a try, since nobody had...
        You're right--I think Stevens was employed by Egbert as a design consultant...
        Marie

Comment

Here's my guess after reading the article. Douglas Fraser. He was UAW President and joined Iacocca on the Board of Director's. Not a name I am famlair with, but it does make sense because of the UAW connection.

Mark

Comment

Nope, Mark. I doubt Fraser was ever a Studebaker Corporation executive.

Once the person has been correctly identified, I'll post a 1963 Studebaker Corporate item to illustrate the answer in print from 1963. BP

Comment

Maybe my issue will arrive tomorrow.
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

Originally posted by fpstude View Post
                Maybe my issue will arrive tomorrow.
                'Hope so, Perry. As you see, the contest is still up for grabs. BP

Comment

I think I saw it in the article, but I'm a previous winner, so I'll hold off
                  Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                  Romans 15:13
                  Deuteronomy 31:6
                  Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

I am reading right now but am still confused. Would it be Ed Cole?

Denny L

Comment

Robert McNamara

Denny L

Comment

That was my first thought as well, but Cole might be right but at Studebaker there was a Roy Cole, is what I have found in my research. Still looking....

Mark

Comment

Hardig--chief engine engineer?...just another guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Marie Mac View Post
                            Hardig--chief engine engineer?...just another guess...
                            Sorry...he wasn't a corp. executive either...

Comment

Last guess--Burlingame?...Finance VP
                              Last edited by Marie Mac; 03-15-2012, 08:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X