Looking for a rear sway bar for 58 Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a rear sway bar for 58 Hawk

Looking for a rear SWAY bar for the 58 Hawk. Surprised this one did not have one installed but would like to add it while working on the car. It has the front one.
    Anyone??
    Last edited by Kdancy; 03-13-2012, 01:40 PM.
    64 Champ long bed V8
    55/53 Studebaker President S/R
    53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Are you sure they are supposed to have one? Mine doesn't.
    Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
    Kenmore, Washington
    hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
    '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
    '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
    '69 Pontiac Firebird
    (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Maybe talking rear stabilizer? Chrysler used torsion bar suspension in the 50's. Acura Integra Type 1 also used torsion bars (89). Sold my example when I used the last replacement available in Canada.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Yeah,

I suspected he was referring to a sway bar or a drag link; but it wouldn't matter anyway; I don't have either!
        Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
        Kenmore, Washington
        hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
        '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
        '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
        '69 Pontiac Firebird
        (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Sorry fellows ---- SWAY bar!
          My friends 57 GH has one and it seems to make a difference.
          64 Champ long bed V8
          55/53 Studebaker President S/R
          53 Hudson Super Wasp Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Kdancy View Post
            Sorry fellows ---- SWAY bar!
            My friends 57 GH has one and it seems to make a difference.
            You probably missed several prior posts talking about how the only Cars from 1951 to 1958 that were factory Equipped with a Rear Stabilizer Bar were the "Y" Bodies, Land Cruiser, President State, President Classic, all long wheelbase Sedans.

Were some special ordered, Dealer or owner installed, sure but in very, very small numbers.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Dave T-bow, up in MA has the repro ones. They are 3/4" instead of the OEM 5/8". I put one on a 56J, and it helped in sweeper turns and the twisties in general.

Comment

FWIW, if ordering Dave's rear bar, also step up to a larger front bar on the later frame-mount system. That makes for a big improvement over the stock A-arm mount front bar. The larger rear bar will also promote too much oversteer if used hard with the stock front bar.

The suspension modification is a slippery slope, because with heavier sway bars, then the OEM rims and tires are too small and might as well put in the Moog front springs and some new gas shocks. Then, the suspension is outrunning the OEM brakes.

jack vines
                Last edited by PackardV8; 03-13-2012, 02:14 PM.
                PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                  FWIW, if ordering Dave's rear bar, also step up to a larger front bar on the later frame-mount system. That makes for a big improvement over the stock A-arm mount front bar. The larger rear bar will also promote too much oversteer if used hard with the stock front bar.

The suspension modification is a slippery slope, because with heavier sway bars, then the OEM rims and tires are too small and might as well put in the Moog front springs and some new gas shocks. Then, the suspension is outrunning the OEM brakes. jack vines
                  Jack,
                  The 56J I installed the rear bar in already had HD front springs, 6" wide KH wheels, gas shocks, and 12" front disc brakes.

Comment

The 56J I installed the rear bar in already had HD front springs, 6" wide KH wheels, gas shocks, and 12" front disc brakes.
                    Hi, Joe,

Thanks for proof of concept. QED.

jack vines
                    PackardV8

Comment

Working...
                    X