Beautiful day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful day

It was such a nice day, I decided to spend it in front the oven. We are getting close to having Joe Robert's 65, slightly modified Cruiser on the road, so I figured that I should get a little powder coating done. I am looking forward to cruising in the Cruiser.
    Mopar cop car wheels, 15x7, before and after. I'm not sure about the hub caps. Yes, the fan is yellow. It matches the water pump and crank pulley. Apparently, there is more than one guy on the forum that likes yellow.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by starliner62; 03-11-2012, 01:07 PM.
    Jamie McLeod
    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
    1958 Commander "Christine"
    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
    1955 Commander Sedan
    1964 Champ
    1960 Lark

looks good, jamie!
    also thinking the 'cap isn't quite right.
    looking forward to seeing y'all at ft. fisher in 2 weeks!
    i'm working on getting something prior to the show, but not sure it would get here before then.
    Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Jamie Caps are mopar cop car with vents for high speed brake cooling. Just sold a set of nos. David

Comment

I kind of like the ported caps. Looks Nice Jamie.

Comment

He does good work don't he?
          Joe Roberts
          '61 R1 Champ
          '65 Cruiser
          Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by Corvanti View Post
            looks good, jamie!
            also thinking the 'cap isn't quite right.
            looking forward to seeing y'all at ft. fisher in 2 weeks!
            i'm working on getting something prior to the show, but not sure it would get here before then.
            Is this the one in Wallace?
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Originally posted by JRoberts View Post
              Is this the one in Wallace?
              no, not the lark in wallace - couldn't find it, nor a response after several attempts...

i've been working on getting one from oklahoma, but need more info before i can "pull the trigger". too late for the weekend now.

unless i'm flat on my back, i'll see y'all saturday!
              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Jim,

If you don't mind; some questions about the P.C. process:

- What temperatures do you need to maintain to cure powder coating?

- Do you use an old conventional electric oven or something more exotic.

- How do you prep a wheel like that - blast it with some kind of media and then wipe it down with some kind of prep?

- I've heard of folks getting whole car frames powder coated - is that done with a special purpose built oven made by a specific manufacturer or do they simply build a big room, lined with metal I assume, and stick a couple of sauna heaters or something similar in them to achieve the desired temperature?

- For everyone here - it seems like powder coating has become very popular in the rodding world; what's the general take in the classic car world about use of powder coating in restorations where parts had originally been painted? Is it considered taboo, over-restoration, etc.?
                Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                Kenmore, Washington
                hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                '69 Pontiac Firebird
                (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Originally posted by starliner62 View Post
                  <snip>
                  Apparently, there is more than one guy on the forum that likes yellow.
                  HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Most of my powder cures at 350 to 400 degrees, for 10 to 20 minutes after the powder starts to flow out. I have a conventional oven and , a small oven for little parts and an oven made out of an old air force cabinet. It is big enough to do motorcycle and atv frames. There are much bigger ovens, for frames and things, but they are way too expensive for what I do.
                    The wheels are either sand blasted or bead blasted, depending on the existing finish. I had to have a set of Trans Am honeycomb wheels sand blasted because the previous owner had them painted in some kind of Imron type of hard paint. After blasting, I scrub the wheels in a strong detergent to remove any grease and wax left over. I will then place the wheels in a hot oven to cook off any impurities and make sure all of the water is gone. After the wheels have cooled, I spray them down with clean, dry air and then powder coat.
                    I do powder coating beacuse I enjoy it. I like experimenting with different textures and finishes. It is , in some cases more durable than paint, especially on wheels.
                    It will chip if hit hard enough, and it does not like hot boiling coolant, depending on the type of powder coating (the chrome stuff is not as durable).
                    I have powder coated a bunch of parts for the Cruiser I am working on and we like the way it looks. Some purists may not like the finish on some of the parts but that's ok too. You know what folks say about opinions........
                    Jamie McLeod
                    Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                    1958 Commander "Christine"
                    1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                    1955 Commander Sedan
                    1964 Champ
                    1960 Lark

Comment

Working...
                    X