Rust Removal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rust Removal?

I did a search and I found alot of info on removing rust. Most of it though seemed focused on sheet metal type of rust that flakes off.

I am cleaning up a cast iron water pump manifold. The rust in this thing is hard and crusty. Some of it looks like rust warts. You can chisel some of it off, but I want to clean it up as best as possible.

Any info and help on this kind of part cleaning.

Tap on it with a hammer, scrape all you can and sandblast it. A wire brush on a buffer or drill also helps if you do not have a blaster.

Comment

Soak it in beet juice.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This will remove heavy rust buildup.

Terry

Comment

There is an electrolytic process that works amazingly well on stuff like this. You can use baking soda or Drano and a battery charger or battery, there's a bunch of websites, here's one of many. The nice thing about this process is it won't damage any good metal. I've derusted many parts this way and it works. Do some googling.

Comment

What does the manifold fit.
            Allen

Comment

It's just a standard V-8 water manifold used with the cast aluminum timing cover. Kelly's original 232 had a stamped steel timing cover & the water manifold on it wouldn't clear the one on the new engine.
              59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
              60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
              61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
              62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
              62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
              62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
              63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
              63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
              64 Zip Van
              66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
              66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

WW is correct...he should know, he generously gave me this manifold after he drove all the way down to my house to help me install the 289 into my truck and while working on it we figured out that the old 232 water manifold was shallower than the 289 is.
                The manifold he gave me is solid and in good shape overall. Just some areas inside have some chunky rust I just want to clean up.

A friend that build antique cars and cleans pools for a living said he uses a muriatic acid solution at about 50/50 with water and lets it soak over night. We will see how it looks in the a.m.

Comment

That should work well for what your doing there but don't get carried away with that little process like I did.

It allmost cost me some parts I can't replace.
                  Dont use it to remove chrome.

Dean.

Ps.
                  Where was I when you and Warren installed your engine ?
                  Last edited by dean pearson; 03-10-2012, 08:04 PM. Reason: add ps

Comment

Probably working on your car...lol
                    We did not get my engine in that day actually. We checked the run out of the crank to bell housing and it was pretty far out of spec so that took us most of the day to readjust. Then it was too late, too cold on my neck, and too dark to put it in.
                    I ended up just sticking it in alone during the week.
                    But you can come over any time and check it out...I will be around Sunday morning. Or most of the week I will be here.

Comment

So after sitting all night in the 50/50 water/ Muriatic acid solution it looks really good. I think a little rinsing and wire brushing, a shot of engine black and it will be ready to install....baby steps, but forward steps non the less.

Comment

Rinse it in water with a bunch of baking soda in it, to neutralize the acid. Else the acid might do more than you want.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Tom. I will thoroughly neutralize and rinse.
                          It came out really nice after the overnite soak. I real happy with it.

Comment

My eyes must be going bad . I thought i saw someone post " Soak it in beet juice " . . . . .

Comment

Yes, I did not know Dwight Shrute was anSDC member....lol

Comment

Working...
                              X