Speedster interior paint code

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster interior paint code

Does anyone here have the paint code for the interior color of the dash, steering column, etc. for the yellow and green Speedsters. The original color is a golden greenish if that helps.
    Thanks

To5brown1,----- I just looked at the '55 Speedster body parts supplement. It lists two dashboards (due to the two colors), but no paint code. The only ID in the manual is two different part numbers, and reference
    to Sun Valley Yellow and Pimlico Gray Metallic. If any of the paint remaining on Your dash, column, or steering wheel is still in good shape, You may be able to bring the part to an auto body supply store, where they can take a
    picture of the color (usually outside in natural light) and thereby determine the tinting colors and amounts of same needed to custom mix the color You need.
    PS...... Funny Studebaker called Your dash 'Sun Valley Yellow', as I agree with you, it's more of a greenish gold. Is Your Speedster in the roster I'm putting together?

Comment

I don't remember if it is so here are the numbers: serial #7805779 and body type#6H-K7. Body Number 184 Included a picture of what it looked like before I tore it completely apart.
      I had to order some new kick panels from Rene Harger and he is checking to see if he can find the information on the paint he used.
      The picture is a good idea. I just spoke with the parts store and they said they could not get a reading from a steering column.
      Thanks for the info.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 5brown1 View Post
        Does anyone here have the paint code for the interior color of the dash, steering column, etc. for the yellow and green Speedsters. The original color is a golden greenish if that helps.
        Thanks

Sorry, I do not have the Speedster dash & str. column paint info in front of me. However, you can order all 15 pages of Studebaker Engineering Paint Specifications "P-2600" from the SNM Archives. It contains virtually everything you could possibly want to know about how Studebaker painted your Speedster during assembly. FWIW, I do have a copy of page 9 ...painting of the Speedster’s rear compartment areas ...if interested.

Comment

To:5browm1,----That's too bad they can't photo mix the column. But Welcome sounds like He's on to something! Your Speedster was not listed in Bob Johannessen's 1993 Roster, nor My more recent info. So I'll add it now.
          I jump from 7805759, 6HK7173 to 7805784, 6HK7189. (WOW!! what's with all these Los Angeles - Vernon - Speedster's turning up??) Your Speedster really looked beautiful BEFORE You began it's restoration, so I can only
          imagine how nice it will be when You complete it. Best of luck with it! (Adding 7805779 6HK7184)

Comment

There are some 1955 interior colors and their formulations listed in Service Bulletin #294. Olive Green uses Green Gold (Nickel Azo Yellow) 31.6%. This color was used on Presidents, but I have no documentation that it is a Speedster interior color.
            Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I spoke with Andrew Beckman at the Studebaker Museum. He said he would look but that even if he did find a formula it would probably not do me any good as it would not be useable in crossing over to today's paints. That was his experience having dealt with similar requests.

Comment

It's just listed as a gold metallic in the Studebaker color chart. When I painted the steering post and jacket in my Speedster, I took the parts to a paint supplier and they were able to get the color. The old color codes don't cross over to the new paints.
                Had a heck of a time getting the proper lemon & lime on my Speedster.
                Klif
                55 Speedster/Street Machine
                63 Avanti R2
                64 Convertible R1

Comment

I LOVE this place, all of my favorite speedster kinfolk. Hello 5Brown1 and Klif and SN-60 -who I am new to, glad to meet you. I have less time than most (retired) SDC folk to browse the forum, as I am young and far to busy with life. But I do get on and catch up.

SN-60, I too have been working on a registry of sorts, and I am half way through building a speedster registry/repository website. I hope that all of us can work together to identify and catalog everything known about every speedster from 1 to 2215. (We'll also need help from the almighty(s), Quinn, Fred Fox (in my local club), Rene, and Palma, to keep us straight on the facts). This won't be a one man show website, it'll have proper credit where due, and references for everything. As I was born 24 years after the speedster was made, there is nothing that I can claim to know first hand, so I will be relying on the wealth of the SDC members to properly document and tell the speedster story and build a repository for info. Building such a site takes time, but I am slogging through and will get it done, hope by end of spring. (Takes time because I am in the midst of full time college classes and trying to be a husband and father of 3 kids under 4 years old -time consuming stuff). As I'm on the young side, I have committed in my heart that I will keep this website and registry going for a long, long time -my goal being 30 years, 40+ if I am lucky to keep my wits as I get up there in age.

As for 5Brown1 dash color question, I have some information. I have the needed document that specifies outside and inside colors. It was produced June 1955, and covers 1953-1955 cars/trucks. I scanned the page regarding speedsters. Look in the lower right hand corner. Basically the dash, steering wheel, steering column was painted in Gold metallic, or Pimlico Gray -depending on the outside lower half color. Documents like this, are what will be in the speedster website I am building.

Like Klif, my steering column had a very nice patch of unfaded pain, down under the dash, big enough for a paint scanner. I took my steering column to my local dupont paint supplier and had them scan and mix up a batch of paint. I kept the can but do not see any obvious paint codes on it. So I will go by the Dupont shop in the next few days with the can and see if I can get a code that would be useful for others.

Oh, and Klif, I also have very accurate paint scan formulas for Sunvalley Yellow and Hialeah Green Paint in Dupont paint. I've shared them with a few fellow speedster members. This too will go on the website for reference.
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	Speedster interior colors.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	1672195
                  Best Regards,
                  Eric West
                  "The Speedster Kid"
                  Sunny Northern California
                  Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                  And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                  55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                  55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

Took my Dash, Gold Metallic, paint can to my local Dupont jobber. He said I am good to go, the paint code in the upper left corner of the label is all that's needed to make more. Notice that the paint is called Dupont "Vinyl", for using on plastic -such as the Steering wheel and the dash, but also works great on the metal steering column. Where it says valueshade#4, he said that refers to the base coat color, gray. I however used white, because part of the steering wheel is white, so I painted it white first and then masked that off to paint the gold metallic.

Dupont has both solvent and water-based painting systems. This Dashboard paint formula uses the "solvent" tinting system -(i.e. tints used for ChromaPriemer and ChromaBase). If your local enviro regs have outlawed solvent-based paint, you will have to go to another county or area that still has the solvent based system. Out here in California, it's hit and miss, one county it is outlawed solvents and the next one over hasn't. Just ask your dupont jobber if they do chromabase or chromapriemer and if they do, then they can mix this paint up.

5Brown1, if you can't find a dupont jobber around you to mix up this paint, let me know and I'd be happy to see if I can get a quart mixed for you to send. The place I went doesn't do solvent anymore, but I think the next county over will still do it.
                    Click image for larger version

Name:	Speedster dash gold metallic formula Dupont.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	1672208
                    Last edited by 55studeman; 03-15-2012, 09:37 PM.
                    Best Regards,
                    Eric West
                    "The Speedster Kid"
                    Sunny Northern California
                    Where the roads don't freeze over and the heat doesn't kill you.
                    And an open road is yours to have -only during non-commute rush hours 9am-4pm and 7pm to 7am (Ha, ha, ha)
                    55 Speedster "Lemon/Lime" (Beautiful)
                    55 President State Sedan (Rusty original, but runs great and reliable)

Comment

Working...
                    X