PDA

View Full Version : SDC meet, San Luis Obispo 1969. On YouTube

AlexM
03-05-2012, 05:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynX6Fbaw-Ns&context=C367dfa2ADOEgsToPDskIVDtbpAwbL0OVzKR3-zmHX

It was Super8 film so the quality is not good, but better than nothing.

StudeDave57
03-05-2012, 05:28 PM
That is very very very cooool Alex!!!! Thanks for posting it.

It is sorta odd seeing my parents and my Parkview, but not together.
I only know that Wagonaire they are loading or unloading from pictures.
But that Parkview has been around as long as I can remember...

SN-60
03-05-2012, 05:48 PM
That's a nice old film. How'd I'd like to go back in time and stroll through THAT flea market!

62champ
03-05-2012, 06:15 PM
I love how no one really notices the 64/65 four door drive in ... "What is so special about that? It is only five years old!"

Great find and thanks so much for posting.

StudeRich
03-05-2012, 06:34 PM
Thanks Alex for posting that, it has special significance to those of us that were there in 1969, I know that Paul Johnson (53K) will be interested to see his late '64 Canadian built, White Daytona Wagonaire all the way from the East Coast, that he has owned since new shown there in the background of some of the shots of my slightly modified, freshly re-painted Avanti Red '63 Daytona Wagonaire that competed against his original car.

Also the YELLOW Avanti in the background of several shots with the R2 with a R3 Air Box and Hilibrand Mag wheels is one of 2 Yellow repainted Avantis that were on the West Coast, this one MAY be the one that now belongs to John Metzker and has been restored to its original Avanti Red.

It was interesting to say the least to see my Blond, boy next door, 28 year old face there at the Banquet table next to my Wife with the Dark Green dress on, leaning over to get her purse, Camera or something, you can also see another old friend and his wife there; Tom Innis from the Solvang, CA area.

I can't believe it was THAT long ago, looking in the mirror I look a bit different now,<GG>! :D

AlexM
03-05-2012, 06:53 PM
Yes Rich,

We look a lot different now. (:-)
Also at that table are Tom Fehn and his wife, and my wife Elma is at the end of the table.

Warren Webb
03-05-2012, 11:14 PM
No worries Rich. San Luis Obispo doesnt look the same either!

Rich, my #2 Avanti has been painted yellow (which is now flaking off) but it appears to have been turquise originally. Could it be one of the 2 yellow Avanti's you remember? I bought it from a guy in San Pedro. Name now unknown.

Great video. May I too add my thanks Alex.

clonelark
03-05-2012, 11:32 PM
I noticed a lot of cars with black wall tires.

Warren Webb
03-05-2012, 11:46 PM
I noticed a lot of cars with black wall tires.[/QUOTE]

Roots of CASO'S

candbstudebakers
03-06-2012, 12:43 AM
Thanks Alex for posting that, it has special significance to those of us that were there in 1969, I know that Paul Johnson (53K) will be interested to see his late '64 Canadian built, White Daytona Wagonaire all the way from the East Coast, that he has owned since new shown there in the background of some of the shots of my slightly modified, freshly re-painted Avanti Red '63 Daytona Wagonaire that competed against his original car.

Also the YELLOW Avanti in the background of several shots with the R2 with a R3 Air Box and Hilibrand Mag wheels is one of 2 Yellow repainted Avantis that were on the West Coast, this one MAY be the one that now belongs to John Metzker and has been restored to its original Avanti Red.

It was interesting to say the least to see my Blond, boy next door, 28 year old face there at the Banquet table next to my Wife with the Dark Green dress on, leaning over to get her purse, Camera or something, you can also see another old friend and his wife there; Tom Innis from the Solvang, CA area.

I can't believe it was THAT long ago, looking in the mirror I look a bit different now,<GG>! :D

Rich , me and my family were there in fact we drove down with Paul Johnson and his wife Karen and the boys, I did not see a picture of my 65 Yukon Gold Daytona with
the black interior, still have the interior, also my 53 custom is there when owned by past owner at the 9:50 mark of the film, and by the way the hotel still looks the same now, thanks for showing Alex

kmac530
03-06-2012, 12:45 AM
Wow Alex. Thank you for posting that cool historic footage. I was 5 yrs old then.
The Madonna Inn looks about the same still.
Rich, I love that red wagonaire.

StudeRich
03-06-2012, 01:24 AM
Wow Alex. Thank you for posting that cool historic footage. I was 5 yrs old then.
The Madonna Inn looks about the same still.
Rich, I love that red wagonaire.

Here is what she looked like after I got rid of the Michelin X tube type little 6.70X15X Peugeot tires the prior owned had on it.

03-06-2012, 10:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynX6Fbaw-Ns&context=C367dfa2ADOEgsToPDskIVDtbpAwbL0OVzKR3-zmHX

It was Super8 film so the quality is not good, but better than nothing.
Wow! Talk about a blast from the past. Thanks so much for posting. I will archive it for sure. That was my first zone meet.
I still haven't gotten over StudeRich beating my original wagon with one that had Ford 289 (?) emblems on it. And, Bob Peterson, well that shows we have known each other for, uh, forever.
Interesting that StudeRich had Michelin tube-type radials on his wagon (very unusual in those days). So did I except mine were 185x15s. My wife had them put on while I was in Viet Nam and the tire shop put on too small a size. I still ran them over 60,000 miles. That was when my factory original Firestone 500s lasted 10,000 miles on the lava-based highways in Hawaii. I even had them recapped rather than buy a lesser tire. Recaps were done in another 10,000.
Seeing all those nice cars and trucks makes me wonder how many survive. In those days you drove your daily driver to the show after just washing it. In fact, we didn't stay at the Madonna Inn. We pulled our 18-foot Shasta travel trailer down from Castro Valley, CA and stayed at the beach in a state park at Pismo Beach. Pulling that 3800 pound trailer back up to Atascadero with the 259 and overdrive was a white knuckle experience, but that's another story.
I probably have pictures of that meet somewhere deep in my dusty archives. Makes me want to look for them.

AlexM
03-06-2012, 03:00 PM
If you can find them, think about posting them here or somewhere we can see them.

AlexM
03-06-2012, 03:09 PM
Rich , me and my family were there in fact we drove down with Paul Johnson and his wife Karen and the boys, I did not see a picture of my 65 Yukon Gold Daytona with
the black interior, still have the interior, also my 53 custom is there when owned by past owner at the 9:50 mark of the film, and by the way the hotel still looks the same now, thanks for showing Alex
So you are the owner of Fred Nelson's car? I often wondered what happened to it. How long have you had it?
My 54 shown there was in Folsom Ca last I heard.

BobPalma
03-06-2012, 03:24 PM
Very cool; thanks for posting.

'Most interesting were the horse-drawn vehicles actually being pulled by a team. I don't remember ever seeing horse-drawn vehicles at a Studebaker meet that were in motion, being pulled by horses! Neat.

In fact, were there two different horse-drawn vehicles in that video, but pulled by the same team?

'Hope someone gets inspired to do that at another meet some time. BP

AlexM
03-06-2012, 04:55 PM
Very cool; thanks for posting.

'Most interesting were the horse-drawn vehicles actually being pulled by a team. I don't remember ever seeing horse-drawn vehicles at a Studebaker meet that were in motion, being pulled by horses! Neat.

In fact, were there two different horse-drawn vehicles in that video, but pulled by the same team?

No, those are the same wagon. The last minute of the film is actually taken from 35mm slide and thus the color is much better than in the film.
I believe that wagon was at at least one more meet.

(S)
03-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Thanks for sharing i think I missed that show, I was not born yet. I do remember the 1915 car whistle, probably from another show though. I also remember the 57 wagon, now in the stable. very cool film!!

Corvanti
03-06-2012, 06:48 PM

sounds like a job for... "STUDECLUNKER" !!!

JoeHall
03-06-2012, 07:48 PM
I did not see any trailers in the background, so am thinking a much higher percentage of Studes were actually DRIVEN to the meets back then. I was driving a black 56J that year in Kentucky, a senior in high school. About the only car anyone trailered back then was a non-op car.

SN-60
03-06-2012, 08:02 PM
To: Joe Hall,------------ Do You happen to remember a fellow by the name of Tom Harton? I believe He lived in North Carolina and drove 56J's back then. I found out about the SDC through Him a lot of years ago!

JoeHall
03-06-2012, 08:08 PM
To: Joe Hall,------------ Do You happen to remember a fellow by the name of Tom Harton? I believe He lived in North Carolina and drove 56J's back then. I found out about the SDC through Him a lot of years ago!

No, but at that time I had not been out of KY other than across the river to Indiana. There was a 56 Power Hawk in town, but other than that, not sure if I ever even saw another Hawk of any kind back then. I first heard of, and joined the SDC in 1985, while living in SoCal.

candbstudebakers
03-07-2012, 01:03 AM
So you are the owner of Fred Nelson's car? I often wondered what happened to it. How long have you had it?
My 54 shown there was in Folsom Ca last I heard.

Yes Alex I own Fred Nelson's blue coupe but there has been some changes to it since those pictures were taken, in fact Fred wrecked it 3 times in his life time but loved the car so much he keep fixing it, after the 2nd is when he chopped the top 2" in front and made the engine a clone R-3 to sorts still had the 3 speed with overdrive then he called it his 6 gears he passed away at age 48 way to young but that is what drinking to much will do to you, the car was up on blocks wrecked when he passed , the last time it was shown was at the Queen Mary International scored in the 390's for the custom class, his son Taylor was 15 then and went with Fred and they played around like two little kids out in the parking lot was a load gas powered little car screaming around making a ton of noise until the security shut them down for the night, also fishing out of the port holes from their room, after he passed he dad fixed the car , I gave him a new frame to put under it , it was finished and given to Fred's son Taylor when he was about 23 or 24 years old Taylor removed the 3 speed and the tube headers for a 4 speed and R-3 headers that's the way it sits now in my garage, Taylor got caught up with a bad lender and lost his house and that is when I got the car, he still comes by now and then to look at it but has no regrets about selling it because he is building one for himself the way he wants it, he is a very good kid has an Avanti 64 , a 53 "C" cab truck with a Dodge Red Ram Hemi and 2 53-54's he is working on, he got the Avanti and the 53 truck from me when he wanted to get back into Studebakers, just goes to show you what a small world it is when it comes to Studebakers. here is what the coupe looks like now.

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/1953%20custom/IM001174.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/1953%20custom/IM001176.jpg

http://i691.photobucket.com/albums/vv271/canbstudebakers/1953%20custom/IM001177.jpg

Dick Clemens
03-07-2012, 01:49 AM
Hello all you old diehards: Amazing to see all the names of us oldtimers on this new fangled tech stuff. Its not surprising that a lot of you guys seem like family to me, because I've known a lot of you for over 45 years. This movie sure brings back some great memories. It also brings some saddness when I remember the names of the guys that were there with us but are passed now.

studedick from the lower Ozarks

clonelark
03-07-2012, 05:13 AM
To bring a pair of horses and a wagon or buggy to a meet today would be quite a chore and would probably take 2 or 3 members to team up to bring both the horses & wagon or buggy. But i'd like to see it also. Few in the club would even have horses and a Studebaker.

03-07-2012, 07:35 AM
I did not see any trailers in the background, so am thinking a much higher percentage of Studes were actually DRIVEN to the meets back then. I was driving a black 56J that year in Kentucky, a senior in high school. About the only car anyone trailered back then was a non-op car.
EVERYONE drove their cars to the meets then (except maybe Dave Dudey and he drove to closer meets). Most cars were their daily drivers.

AlexM
03-07-2012, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE=the last time it was shown was at the Queen Mary International scored in the 390's for the custom class,
Glad to hear his son's are doing OK.
Great pictures. It looks just like it did at the show in Long Beach--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E5Oe1-q0mJs