Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you move avanti drivers seat back alittle?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interior: Can you move avanti drivers seat back alittle?

Hey guys I don't have my Avanti home yet so I can't go out and look. But is it possible or rather fairly easy to move the drivers seat back a couple of inches?
    John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

If the reset rail don't go back far enough, I can't provide any suggestions as the floor pan is molded to accomotate the factory seat mechanics. Maybe some one has figured out how to relocate the rails on the seat itself.. If so jump in here and help 289 Stude .

Comment

Originally posted by 289stude View Post
      Hey guys I don't have my Avanti home yet so I can't go out and look. But is it possible or rather fairly easy to move the drivers seat back a couple of inches?
      Hey John,
      The guy I bought my '64 Avanti from was tall and he moved the driver's seat back about three inches. He extended the brackets. I need to take it apart or at least loose because the seat belt is trapped behind the extension. Not a good picture, but... After York I'll try to give you better details.
      Attached Files
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by Retired View Post
        If the reset rail don't go back far enough, I can't provide any suggestions as the floor pan is molded to accomotate the factory seat mechanics. Maybe some one has figured out how to relocate the rails on the seat itself.. If so jump in here and help 289 Stude .
        John

As Richard has described above, the seat mount nuts are molded into the body and three of the four are not accessible from underneath the body due to molded structures and the hog trough.

That said, if you look at the seat attachment rails they are a simple L-bracket that attaches to the front mount and that could be lengthened but welding would be needed using stronger metal than the seat has originally. The rear mounts bolt to the floor so what I would do here is fabricate a mount from 4-6" X 3/16 plate and long enough to span the distance between the rear seat mounts. Bolt the plate to the existing mounting holes after you have added a couple of studs far enough back on the plate to bolt the seat frame too.

The rear assembly could be mounted under the carpet to hide it if aesthetics are important.

Not a difficult job if you or a friend can weld.

Bob
        Last edited by sweetolbob; 02-29-2012, 11:38 AM.

Comment

The first problem is encountered when the the fifty years of rust causes the captive nuts to break loose from their mountings rather than release the seat bolts. BTDT.

jack vines
          PackardV8

Comment

Hi John. Did you get to move your seats back? If so, how did you go about it? We are just about to try to move Mick's '63 Avanti seats, as he needs more leg room to comfortably drive his car.
            Thanks, Dave...
            Dave Pink
            Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
            1925 ER Tourer
            1925 Panel Delivery
            1953 Champion Sedan
            1957 Golden Hawk
            1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
            http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

No need to re-invent the wheel as it were!
              Jon Myer does this mod all the time!
              You have to remove the seat in question, turn it over and remove the two bracket(s) (rails).
              Jon takes your rails and welds extensions to them, which will give you by his estimation about four additional inches.

Comment

Bob, I am a bit confused??
                On my Avanti the only captive nuts are the ones that hold down the rear of the seat slide, the front two nuts are held into the hump under the seat. So I do not understand the statement that one of the four are hidden by the trough(s) Please explain, Thanks
                Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
                John

As Richard has described above, the seat mount nuts are molded into the body and three of the four are not accessible from underneath the body due to molded structures and the hog trough.

That said, if you look at the seat attachment rails they are a simple L-bracket that attaches to the front mount and that could be lengthened but welding would be needed using stronger metal than the seat has originally. The rear mounts bolt to the floor so what I would do here is fabricate a mount from 4-6" X 3/16 plate and long enough to span the distance between the rear seat mounts. Bolt the plate to the existing mounting holes after you have added a couple of studs far enough back on the plate to bolt the seat frame too.

The rear assembly could be mounted under the carpet to hide it if aesthetics are important.

Not a difficult job if you or a friend can weld.

Bob

Comment

John

I think we are talking the same thing. The front mounts are also a steel plate with a nut bonded to the inside of the hump, as you call it. I guess technically not a captured nut as it is physically attached to the bonded plate.

Bob

Comment

I have done it before......I'll do it on yours before you get it back if you wish.
                    Bez Auto Alchemy
                    573-318-8948
                    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Well I guess we will just pull one out and start cutting and welding then.
                      Dave Pink
                      Victoria, Australia

1916 SF Roadster
                      1925 ER Tourer
                      1925 Panel Delivery
                      1953 Champion Sedan
                      1957 Golden Hawk
                      1971 Avanti II

Studebaker Car Club Of Australia Website
                      http://www.studebakercarclub.net

Comment

I've installed custom seats in both C/K and Avanti. I need more leg room and prefer to be able to lean back a bit more than the stock backrest angle. After having done this, I notice it completely changes the feel of the cars. Our sense of balance and motion come from the inner ear. Placing this motion sensor more toward the rear of the car really changes the way I experience the vehicle dynamics. It also changes the outward vision, as my head is now back beside the B-pillar.

Any other tall guys noticed this?

jack vines
                        PackardV8

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                          I have done it before......I'll do it on yours before you get it back if you wish.
                          yes brad I want them both moved back the same amount. I fit fine in there once I'm in but getting in & out sometimes is difficult ( I'm 6'4" barefoot )

as to to jacks comment about being farther back, I can always slide it forward to stock position after I'm in it.
                          John

62' Deluxe R2 4SPD.

63' R1 Wagonaire

57' Transtar 259 punched to 312 NP540 4:09 TT Under Construction

58' 3E6D Stock 4X4

64' (Studebaker Built) Trailer Toter

Comment

Of course, it can be done. My son (6'5") bought a '63 years ago and with a little metal work, we fabbed the necessary mods to the bracketry/mounts. Unfortunately, the car is long gone, but I don't recall that the process amounted to much and we were done in an afternoon with just basic shop tools and commonly available steel. I'm sure it can be done in any number of ways. Sorry though, that I cannot be more specific so long after the fact.

Comment

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
                              I've installed custom seats in both C/K and Avanti. I need more leg room and prefer to be able to lean back a bit more than the stock backrest angle. After having done this, I notice it completely changes the feel of the cars. Our sense of balance and motion come from the inner ear. Placing this motion sensor more toward the rear of the car really changes the way I experience the vehicle dynamics. It also changes the outward vision, as my head is now back beside the B-pillar.

Any other tall guys noticed this?
                              jack vines

I am not tall, but find the relocation of my seat to place my head near the B pillar to be an optimum position. Everything you stated.

Somewhat of a visual tunnel effect though, as my seat may be higher than yours.
                              sigpic 1963 Studebaker Avanti: LS1 motor and T-56 transmission have been moved rearward, set up as a two seat coupe with independent rear suspension. Complex solutions for nonexistant problems.

Comment

Working...
                              X