No announcement yet.

51 Champ Convertible, Questions on Wider Wheels with 6.70 Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheels / Tires: 51 Champ Convertible, Questions on Wider Wheels with 6.70 Tires

I have the original rims and I want to know if using Plymouth wheels that are 6" wide and deeper bolt pattern (would make the wheels protrude about 1 1/2 inches further out) would still work with the 6.70 15 whitewall tires I am planning to use? Any experience with wide wheels?
    thanks MILT

If they protrude out 1 1/2 inches in the back, there is a very good chance they will rub the fenders. Clearance is tight back there. I haven't seen those wheels, but it really is close in the back of my 1951 Commander. Get a tape and measure from the edge of the tire to the fender. If you've got more than 1 1/2 inches you'll be OK. They'll probably work OK in the front.

Comment

If you measure the current wheels offset and compare it to the wider wheels, that will give you your answer. On the other hand, I doubt a 6.70 tire will fit on a 6" rim. The bead will not seat correctly.
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

A straight edge is your friend at this juncture.
        Hold a straight edge {like a 2' carpenters square of a straight piece of sheetmetal or aluminum, drywal T-square, etc} against the brake drum vertically. Hook a tape measure on the back edge of the SE, the same side that is against the brake drum, pull it straight out and measure the distance to the inside lip of the fender well. Now lay the SE against the rear of the rim and measure down to the back of the lug surface to check wheel back space. You can also check the front , just remeber to subtract the wheel center thickness and this will tell you how much clearance between the wheel and the wheel well.

As far as the tire/rim fit. YES, a 6.70 tire will bead on a 6" rim. It will be a bit of a stretch, but it will fit no problem. I Dont mean to contradict others, but 6.70 15 has a 7" cross section width and the side wall buldge out and will fit no problem. The side wall will only need to expand 1/2" on each side to bead, that is minimal.
        I am running 5.90 15 WWW tires on a 5" rim and the would easily bead on a 6" rim. You are FINE.

Comment

PS, my tires are recommended on a 4" rim and the look even better on the 5" rim. I like the shape better.

Are these new wheels you want to run a drop center tubless wheel? Or a tube type?

Comment

I did mount the 670 15 tires on the 15x6 rims and they look great. thank you for your feedback. Milt

Comment

now that you have them on there -- does it look like there would be room for a 7 inch rim? the wheels i'm looking to buy don't come in a 6 inch width...
              sigpic

1950 Commander Starlight Coupe
              Regal Deluxe Trim
              Automatic transmission
              46k original miles, 4th Owner

Comment

Working...
              X