It Was a Dark and Stormy Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Was a Dark and Stormy Day

I got a call from a non-Stude old car guy about noon today. He told me he had encountered a fellow in a broken down Stude. He reported he had pushed the fellow off of the road.

I responded to the scene to see if I could be of assistance. The car was starving for fuel, and the ignition switch would not turn. He bypassed the ignition, and we added fuel to the car. I was following him home, but the car died twice more. A passer-by offered to pull him home for us:

Once we got him home, I saw this in his drive:

And, he realized that, through his frustration, he had been trying to start the President Coupe:

with the '50's key.

Both cars are for sale, the Rest of the Story to follow.
    Last edited by Studedude; 02-29-2012, 05:47 PM.
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

Comment

He uses the wrong key and is frustrated so he has to sell both Studes?
      I suggest he invest in a couple of these to color code the keys:

Comment

To: Studedude,----- Hey, I think it was really nice of You to jump in Your vehicle, find this Guy, and then try to help Him-----Kudos to You!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
          To: Studedude,----- Hey, I think it was really nice of You to jump in Your vehicle, find this Guy, and then try to help Him-----Kudos to You!!!!
          Thanks... but, that's what we do, eh?

AND... the fellow did not know about SDC before today, but he does now!
          sigpic
          Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
            He uses the wrong key and is frustrated so he has to sell both Studes?
            I suggest he invest in a couple of these to color code the keys:
            The frustration did not begin with the key crisis, but with finding himself stranded due to the fuel issue. He had just done a 160 mile round trip, and had run the fuel tank lower than he had before. Reckon the tank is in for a good cleaning. One thing led to another, and he miss-read the keys. The color coded keys could have helped at that point, I reckon.

I don't think this incident is the reason the cars are for sale, either, but I do think the guy needs some financial relief.
            sigpic
            Dave Lester

Comment

Originally posted by Studedude View Post
              Thanks... but, that's what we do, eh?

AND... the fellow did not know about SDC before today, but he does now!
              Well Dave...if you turn up with two new Studebakers at "frustration" bargain prices...we might have to reassess our opinion of how nice you are.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Well Dave...if you turn up with two new Studebakers at "frustration" bargain prices...we might have to reassess our opinion of how nice you are.
                I understand that concept.

I would be a buyer for one or both of the cars, but not as keepers. I do, on occasion, pick up one every now and then to play with, detail, and flip, and I offer no apology for that.

OTOH, this fellow would like to recover his investment in both cars, and I'm afraid that can't happen, unless he finds a really ambitious (retail) buyer. I'll put the cars "out there" for all to see, and see how it goes.

I am in the mood right now for something to play with and turn, but I won't deprive the guy a chance at doing better than I can offer.

I won't divulge what he is asking for the cars right now, we'll see what our group thinks the market can bear.
                Last edited by Studedude; 03-20-2012, 06:26 PM.
                sigpic
                Dave Lester

Comment

More information on the '55 President Coupe:

Clear title, registered in Oklahoma through December of 2012.

259 Auto.

New tires, brakes, and wheels. Original wheels and hubcaps come with the car.

New exhaust, Flow master mufflers.

Appearance items:

The body is straight. The car has been repainted, not show quality. If there was rust in the body, it was repaired well, as I saw no signs of it.

I would love to get my hands on the car to detail it. The paint and trim does have a few warts, but I think it could, after proper detailing, earn a high second to low first place award at local Studebaker meets.

The chrome and stainless is in well above average condition.

The fender spears, hood ornament, and truck latch surround piece, as well as the original generator, come with the car.

What it needs, according to the owner:

Gas tank cleaned and sealed.

Carburetor rebuild.

Turn signals do not function.

Oil pan gasket. (Imagine that.) <GGG>

I did not drive the car, due to the fuel problem. But, I did hear it run and drive, and was favorably impressed.

More pictures here:

http://s142.photobucket.com/albums/r...ident%20Coupe/
                  Last edited by Studedude; 03-04-2012, 08:05 PM.
                  sigpic
                  Dave Lester

Comment

You know Dave, if you paint the land cruiser black with white doors and put a cherry on top it could be a keeper.
                    Dave Nevin
                    Corvallis, OR
                    1953 Champion Deluxe Coupe
                    Stud-e-venture blog

Comment

Originally posted by dnevin View Post
                      You know Dave, if you paint the land cruiser black with white doors and put a cherry on top it could be a keeper.
                      Yer here ta hep me, right? <GGG>
                      sigpic
                      Dave Lester

Comment

I like the way you did the "sandwich"...both with the 4 way flashers on. Looks like something a couple of cops might have done.
                        Dick Steinkamp
                        Bellingham, WA

Comment

I hope you know I was just messing with you Dave. I have picked up a bargain or two in my life and have no apologies to make. I have also given up a bargain or two, but refuse to spend a lot of time regretting the deal. That's simply what adults who agree on a price do.
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by jclary View Post
                            I hope you know I was just messing with you Dave. I have picked up a bargain or two in my life and have no apologies to make. I have also given up a bargain or two, but refuse to spend a lot of time regretting the deal. That's simply what adults who agree on a price do.
                            I knew where you were coming from, John. No problem here! <G>
                            sigpic
                            Dave Lester

Comment

More information on the '50 Land Cruiser:

First, methinks you should hear it start 'n run:

I'm not happy with my video skills on this one... I must start carrying my camera with me, and not depend on the phone.

Also, I should have told him to leave it running longer, as I intended to let you hear more.

Then, of course, it would have been nice if I had not filmed my finger... oh, well. <GGG> It started quickly, and sounded pretty darn sweet, I thought.

Clear Oklahoma title, registered in Oklahoma through Feb. of 2013. ("Non Use" sticker on tag (meaning, no insurance coverage at this time.))

The owner states the the car was in the process of being restored 10 years ago. It was given new tires, brakes, and exhaust, and then was placed in the barn, as the project died for whatever reason. I wouldn't trust the tires, due to age. The brake shoes/drums might be OK. The exhaust looks new, and I heard no exhaust leaks.

He did add fluid to the master cylinder before driving it home. (51 miles) I would have trailered it, but he reports it ran like a dream, and everything works.

He also put in new spark plugs and wires before driving it home... seems as though the squirrels had made nests in the engine compartment during the car's 10 year slumber. I suspect that if it did not blow up, overheat, or otherwise break down in 51 miles, it probably has no really major issues. Not to say it doesn't need some TLC!!

The silly thing does seem to have original paint, and very little, if any rust. (See picture of panel between front door and front fender.)

The body is quite straight, and the trim is, I would say, above average driver quality for a survivor, such as it is.

I mean, look at this bullet, boy-howdy! Shucks, I'd be right proud to just own it!:

Pictures here:
                              Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!
                              Last edited by Studedude; 02-28-2012, 06:26 PM.
                              sigpic
                              Dave Lester

Comment

Working...
                              X