Pre WWII - bubble gum for the eyes #1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre WWII - bubble gum for the eyes #1

I am thinking there is entirely too much emphasis on post WWII vehicles on this forum! You realize that that period comprises only about 20 years of Studebaker's 114 years of production!? I keep trying to bring a little more balance!
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Classy. Cars for adults.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I take your point Richard, but speaking as one born in September 1959 the postwar cars particularly Larks have have greater appeal and were what I grew up with. Older ones are nice, but not for me, let alone the difficulties of obtaining parts for them.
      John Clements
      Christchurch, New Zealand

Comment

fantastic just need to win the lottery ,there are very fine wish i could own one thank you for shering Richard.
        rawise

Comment

Baby, baby!!
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I think RQ misses being Editor of ASC Review!!

That photo was posted before here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=seasons

I took a couple of photos of this 1921 last fall:

Craig
            Last edited by 8E45E; 02-26-2012, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
              http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1330250795

I am thinking there is entirely too much emphasis on post WWII vehicles on this forum! You realize that that period comprises only about 20 years of Studebaker's 114 years of production!? I keep trying to bring a little more balance!
              I agree Richard, however...how often is it that you find a near road-worthy pre-war car for mere hundreds (not thousands) for sale? I have a standing offer to trade a very nice interstate capable '51 Land Cruiser for a pre-war Studebaker, but, as of now, no inquiries.

Except for the best funded and/or skilled craftsmen among us...the practicality of owning and maintaining one of these elegant vehicles is a fading dream. Many of these cars incorporate the skillful use of wood and metal in their construction. The skill to restore and maintain them is a fading art. Couple that with engines requiring poured babbet bearings, and a need to fabricate unavailable parts, and the challenges become out of reach to many who would otherwise embrace these magnificent machines.

Just as in the laws of fluids and electricity...always flow to the path of "least resistance," the same applies to the pursuit of our hobby. It is easier to find, buy, and restore the later model cars.

However, thanks to you, pictures like this one keeps my dream of some day owning a pre-war Studebaker alive.
              Last edited by jclary; 02-26-2012, 10:58 AM.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks Richard! Those two are just BEAUTIFUL.
                1957 Studebaker Champion 2 door. Staten Island, New York.

"Education is not the learning of facts, but the training of the mind to think." -Albert Einstein

Comment

To: Studebaker Wheel,----- A Friend of Mine who owns a really nice 1930 Pierce Roadster said to Me a few months ago that as nice as His car is, interest in it is waning. The folks who remember and understand the car
                  are dying off, and the young crowd (not all, but most) understandably can't relate. Going back further in time to say the brass era vehicles, in His opinion, the situation becomes even worse. Anyway, I think the Presidents
                  in Your photo are beautiful. Thanks

Comment

So you're only allowed to take one of those two home today...which one is it going to be? Junior.
                    sigpic
                    1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

This thread prompted me to go back into my archives. Many years ago, my Son did a study of the SDC Roster to determine the 'vehicle' mix in the club at THAT time, 5/31/72. I did say many years ago. At that point, here is his conclusion:
                      89.66% of the vehicles were Post War - 10.34% were Pre War - of the top 25 cars, 1950 was the youngest

In the ensuing 40 years (WOW) - I would have to guess that the Post War percentage has gone way up and the Pre War percentage way down.

While I enjoy looking at the Pre War vehicles, they are a dying breed, being relagated more and more to museums, and becoming harder and harder to maintain. Remember car shows of 40 years ago? Probably 70% of the vehicles being shown were Pre War. Look at the shows now. You can hardly see the Post War cars behind all the Honda bouncy low riders and their ilk with 1000 watt stereo systems stuffed in the rear cargo area.

stupak

Comment

It's hard to own a car you cant drive any time you want to, and most 1935 and earlier fall into that category,even cars that don't have seal beam headlights aren't roadworthy at night. I can appreciate the earlier cars and love to see them, but I'll never own another one. clonelark 1943.
                        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

I too would love to see more pre-war Studes here and at the car shows.

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                            http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...g?t=1330250795

I am thinking there is entirely too much emphasis on post WWII vehicles on this forum! You realize that that period compriseWay too much emphasis on post wars only about 20 years of Studebaker's 114 years of production!? I keep trying to bring a little more balance!
                            HEAR HEAR!!! Totally agree, Richard. Way too much emphasis on postwar in SDC. Frankly though, I think that is the fault of SDC. Any ads you see for SDC always feature postwar cars, never prewar. It seems to me that the ASC came into existence just because of that bias. I've encountered one ASC member who had nothing good to say about SDC.

To John Clement's remark about associating with the cars we grew up with. I am a leading edge baby boomer, born in 1946. I grew up in an area where prewar cars were still commonplace in the middle 50s. My father was rector of a small country parish. Sunday mornings the parking lot would have cars from the 1920's in it. My transportation to kindergarten was a 1929 Dodge Victory 6. And yes, I knew exactly what it was at five years old. To me prewar is far more interesting. No offence to John or anyone else into Larks, but to me they are daily driver winter beaters. They are too ordinary.

Terry

Comment

i miss my '40 more than i miss the ex mrs. corvanti...
                              Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Working...
                              X