66 Daytona hardtop moves ahead for the first time in almost 20 years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 66 Daytona hardtop moves ahead for the first time in almost 20 years

This car is a dream I have had since I got it almost 20 years ago, Studebaker should have made a 66 Daytona hardtop!!!! I planned on doing just that and over the years picked up parts needed to convert the 64 over to a 66, today I got the car back from my body man after if fixed the small amount of rust holes in the roof edge and I had him fill in the holes from the 64 Daytona side trim, fender have been removed and the single head light ones are at the blaster coming clean for repair if any is found after blasting, The engine has been done for sometime now it is a 68 350 hp 327 with duel 4's and will have a700-R4 to push it , was going with 4 speed but the older I get the auto is the way to go, seats, door panels, nice dash, front grille section and rear tail lights are all here waiting for their turn to be installed, right now I plan on the stock original red color with a black vinyl top and maybe cross flags, should be a fun car to drive and it is the car they should have built and in convert. style also.

It will also have the 66 hawk 15" wheel covers.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Nice project!
    Scott Rodgers
    Los Angeles
    SDC Member since 1989
    \'60 Lark HT
    \'63 Wagonaire
    \'66 Frankenbaker

Comment

Those 327's are a nice combo with a GM OD trans for driving, and a day at the track. (I'm setting ours up almost the same way but with a hot 283 and "go" gears)

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
        It will also have the 66 hawk 15" wheel covers.
        It'll have 1966 Hawk wheel covers, huh? Those must be pretty hard to come by!

~Matt Connor
        Jefferson City, MO
        '59 Lark 2-door
        ~Matt Connor
        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Bob's got everything!
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Matt, Bob means the '66 full wheel covers with the Hawk insignia on the centers

This'll be cool! Bob, just curious - what did the roof repair run you? I've got some similar to do and just wonder what the ballpark is.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

There was a 66 Daytona convertible!

To Bob Peterson....congratulations on your efforts. Actually there was a 1966 Daytona convertible! Our Manufacturing Vice President, Bill Moeser, had the Hamilton factory employees convert his company 64 Daytona convertible into a 66 model. When we were starting to build the 66 Canadian Winter Rally car which I drove, with Tom Baldock as Navigator, Moeser tried to convince me to use the converted convertible as the rally car. He was going to have a roll bar installed. Considering the fact I felt a steel top was safer, his idea was rejected. President Gordon Grundy then directed Bill Moeser to convert it back to the 64 that it was registered as and it was then sold to a local dealer. Oh, did we have fun!!!!
              Stu Chapman

Comment

Bob,
                I've always liked the car...and the idea. Get with it and finish it. Let Gary do the body and paint turn key. Get Howdy to do the interior. You have the rest of the parts. Easy. You deserve it. Go for it!
                Dick Steinkamp
                Bellingham, WA

Comment

Bob, we must be "brothers from another mother" as I would like to do a hardtop or convertible witha 62 rear end & either 64 or 66 front end. I always liked the back of the 62 for its simplicity & tasteful design.
                  59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                  60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                  61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                  62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                  62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                  63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                  63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                  64 Zip Van
                  66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                  66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post

This'll be cool! Bob, just curious - what did the roof repair run you? I've got some similar to do and just wonder what the ballpark is.
                    Clark, the cost was free, it pays to know the right people, I do a lot of hauling of cars for him and never charge him it works out in the long run.
                    and yes on the hawk style full wheel cover the best one they ever made.
                    Candbstudebakers
                    Castro Valley,
                    California

Comment

Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                      Bob, we must be "brothers from another mother" as I would like to do a hardtop or convertible witha 62 rear end & either 64 or 66 front end. I always liked the back of the 62 for its simplicity & tasteful design.
                      Have you ever seen Doug's '63 two door with a '66 nose?
                      Search some old La Palma pics- I'll bet you'll find it...

StudeDave '57
                      StudeDave '57
                      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                      SDC Member since 1985

past President
                      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                      San Diego Chapter SDC
                      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                        Thanks for setting me straight!
                        ~Matt Connor
                        '59 Lark 2-door

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                          To Bob Peterson....congratulations on your efforts. Actually there was a 1966 Daytona convertible! Our Manufacturing Vice President, Bill Moeser, had the Hamilton factory employees convert his company 64 Daytona convertible into a 66 model. When we were starting to build the 66 Canadian Winter Rally car which I drove, with Tom Baldock as Navigator, Moeser tried to convince me to use the converted convertible as the rally car. He was going to have a roll bar installed. Considering the fact I felt a steel top was safer, his idea was rejected. President Gordon Grundy then directed Bill Moeser to convert it back to the 64 that it was registered as and it was then sold to a local dealer. Oh, did we have fun!!!!
                          Stu Chapman
                          Stu, thanks for the nice update on the project car of 66 always nice to hear about things of the past at Studebaker, always a pleasure to read things that you, Richard Quinn, and Bob Palma have to say about every thing related to Studebaker, keep up the good work and again thanks...the other BP
                          Candbstudebakers
                          Castro Valley,
                          California

Comment

Bob, very nice looking car and I like the style.
                            While I love the beautiful all original restorations, I really love it when someone builds something they like or want. Like Dicks S. Lark and Wagonaire or Jon S. 2R5.3 and Bulletnose. They have a cool style and a personal touch and I think this kind of build is a part of the future and growth of the Stude lineage. Nice stuff Bob. Keep us posted.

Comment

Very cool project, see your vision through!, and post Pictures for sure.
                              61 Lark

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X