Copper washers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brakes: Copper washers

When replacing brake hoses on our 40 Commander I notice in the SI catalog copper washers. Should those be replaced when brake hoses are? Is it best not to reuse the old or are they not included with new hoses?
    sigpic

Use new copper washers. There are usually radial grooves in the sealing surfaces of the fittings. The soft copper washers mold themselves to those grooves, if you use new hoses/fittings, the grooves impressed in the copper won't match the grooves in the fittings and you will risk having a leaky system.

Comment

Thanks. I'm not at the car now and plan to order shortly. Do they use only one washer per end?
      sigpic

Comment

Requires only one per fitting.

Comment

NAPA carries them too.
          1953 Chev. 210 Convertible, 261 6cyl w/Offy dual intake (But I always did love Studebakers!)
          1995 Dodge/Cummins Pickup, 250 HP, 620 Ft. Lbs. of Torque, ATS trans.
          Robert Rausch

Comment

Usually they only take one per fitting, BUT, there are many different thicknesses, they are cheap, get a few extra. If you can "pick & choose" get the thicker ones.

Jim
            "We can't all be Heroes, Some us just need to stand on the curb and clap as they go by" Will Rogers

We will provide the curb for you to stand on and clap!

Indy Honor Flight www.IndyHonorFlight.org

As of Veterans Day 2017, IHF has flown 2,450 WWII, Korean, and Vietnam Veterans to Washington DC at NO charge! to see
            their Memorials!

Comment

you can get an assortment box of 'em
              I keep 'em on hand 'cause i wanna get the curve of the hose in the correct orientation, and i'll swap 'em around until that happens, sometimes even use 2, tho i'd rather not
              1947 M5 under restoration
              a bunch of non-Stude stuff

Comment

Check first. My hoses came with them!

Comment

Working...
                X