Engine details?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine details?

I am finishing up my '63 289. It will be an odd mix of some 232 parts and some 289 exterior pieces. All 289 inside though.
    I know the block, heads, oil pan, valley pan, and waterpump/housing are black on this motor.
    I also know the valve covers are Yellow { I have some John Deere yellow, close enough for now}.
    I know the oil breather caps are and orangie red, similar to Chevy engine orange.

But how about all of the front pieces? Fan, pulleys, and external stuff like that?
    Was that stuff all black stock, or was any of it silver or yellow, or orange?

I polished the timing cover, so that is fine. I plan on getting a polished/chromed finned valley pan cover and some Offy valve covers some day, not in the budget now. But what do you guys think, add some color out front, all black...or?
    What do you guys have on your hot rodded motors?
    Pics would be awesome if you can.

Somewhere in the archives is a thread where people posted pictures of their engines. Studebakers do dress up pretty. BTW The reason some people don't polish the front cover is because by the time the accessories are installed you can hardly see it.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Fan blade is orange, pulleys black.
      Frank van Doorn
      Omaha, Ne.
      1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
      1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
      1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Not sure who's selling the stuff right now, but you won't find a (steel) chrome finned valley cover. They are aluminum, just, grind, buff and polish. Lionals are already polished.
        And if you can find one, the old Lional Stone versions are the nicest. A bit heavy, but of the three different ones I have, that's the overall nicest.

The Offy rocker covers while very nice anent cheap. Lional's versions are a little different, but aren't cheap either. Both can be found used every once in a while.

For what it may be worth.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
          but you won't find a (steel) chrome finned valley cover. They are aluminum, just, grind, buff and polish.

Mike
          Yes, thanks Mike. I knew they were aluminum. I saw one on ebay a couple months ago that was an aluminum finned one but had been chromed because chrome is easier to maintain over the long run.
          Yes, I also know the VCs are in the $300 range...that hurts, I just love the look.

Frank, Thanks for the orange fan heads up. I thought I had seen that, but I did not know if that was stock.

Fan- I will look for that engine pic thread. Anyone remember it title?

Comment

Working...
          X