X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The TURTLE - November 1962

THE TURTLE
    (November 1962)

Mobility of ground forces and particularly the individual foot soldier has always been a problem for the military. Today, with limited or 'brushfire" conflicts possible in the present political climate, there is an even greater need to relieve some of the man-packing burden of both infantry- men or indigenous personnel and at the same time facilitate the movement of supplies in areas where adverse environmental and terrain conditions pose difficult problems.

In an effort to combat these problems, Studebaker Corporation's Applied Research Division has come up with a three-wheeled, self -propelled cargo carrier designed to assist the foot soldier in transporting supplies and equipment in front-line areas. In rear areas, the vehicle could be used in transporting materials and stores at depots and direct support units.

Known as the Turtle, the 400- pound cargo hauler was displayed for the first time at the recent annual meeting of the Association of the United States Army (AUSA) in Washington, D.C. The Turtle is one of several products Studebaker is building for Defense Department appraisal under its "Mobility" program Instituted last year by Sherwood H. Egbert, company president.

Demonstrated at several Army posts, the Turtle proved that it was as much at home on water as on land. The buoyancy of the expanded Royalite body and the rapidly increasing displacement of the vehicle toward the top permits the Turtle to float with a full load and still maintain an eight-inch freeboard above the water table while maintaining a two mile per hour swimming capability in the water.

The Turtle is small - measuring only 72 inches in length, 35 1/2 inches in width and 35 inches in height - which permits it to operate on any type of terrain, whether in the jungle, on a mountain or the tundra and snow of Arctic wastelands. Its large cargo capacity - nominally 600 pounds through 1,000 pounds can be accommodated in most situations - makes it usable as a litter bearer as well as a transporter for crew - served weapons, ammunition, rations, communication equipment or other front-line supplies.

Operated by a 5.5 horsepower, four-cycle gasoline engine, manufactured by Onan Division, driving through a hydrostatic transmission, the vehicle will operate at a normal three to four miles per hour under load. An eight horsepower, two-cycle engine also is available for the Turtle. The large "Terra Tires" provide excellent off-road mobility with a 60 percent forward slope and 40 percent side slope. The vehicle is stopped by placing the transmission in neutral position. It also is capable of operating for five hours on a tank of gasoline.

Very conceivably, the Turtle also could be extremely useful as a tool and equipment carrier for missile bases and as a tool, ammunition and supply carrier for advance combat air fields for reconnaissance posts.

The Turtle's ability to operate in mud, water and on steep grades and side slopes also makes it a natural for many jobs in the field of civil engineering. One attraction is its ability to replace a half-a-dozen unskilled laborers to cut costs, keep construction on schedule and, in some instances, get the job done when enough labor is not available.
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 02-20-2012, 10:40 AM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Doesn't remind me a bit of the turtle being touted recently. As mentioned previously, I bet the 'makers' of that thing are laughing themselves silly. The above mentioned Turtle seems like it would have been a very usuable vehicle. stupak

Comment

One thing that struck me in reading this is the mention of Royalite. Isn't that what was used for the '55 Speedster dashes?
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
        One thing that struck me in reading this is the mention of Royalite. Isn't that what was used for the '55 Speedster dashes?
        I believe that is correct about the Speedster dashes. Avanti door panels were also proposed to be made of this stuff as well, but would have been too costly.

Craig

Comment

I got to thinking about this awhile ago. The name "Turtle" - I guess it's OK. I wonder if it would've survived had the thinhg been embraced by the Army? They were OK with Weasel, so maybe turtle would be fine too.
          What if they'd pursued a submersible that could also travel on land? Otter? Platypus maybe? But back to the Turtle....

Anne's old friend had turtles (probably rightfully Tortises) in his back yard. These guys were HUGE! - think three foot in diameter! And they could scoot too! Since the Army had used mules and horses in WWII, why not breed and train these big armored amphibians? They could have traveresed terrain that no motorized plastic tub could ever hope to negotiate! And anywhere there was some vegetation - there'd be fuel.
          No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Interesting, thanks for posting this. It appears that they are talking about the two wheel drive model, not the 4X4 that was in the RAVE report a while back. The 2WD model had a third coaster type wheel on the rear. Where exactly did this article come from?
            Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
              That's what the Cord 8/10th scale repluicas were made of. Also, IIRC, interior plastics for Cessnas of that period.
              63 Avanti R1 2788
              1914 Stutz Bearcat
              (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The graphic that was included with the original article.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Yup, it is the 2WD three wheeled version.

I also have a print of the same one that you posted, Mr. Quinn. However mind does not have the caption "The Turtle by Studebaker".
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Here is the 4X4 turtle for comparison.

And here is an ad featuring the 4X4 Turtle.

Other 4X4 Turtle is in my signature.
                    Chris Dresbach

Comment

Turtles ? . ( i just had to do it . )

Last edited by aarrggh; 02-21-2012, 04:38 PM.

Comment

That is a civilian tortuse, here is all about the army turtles.
                        Chris Dresbach

Comment

Alligator Snapping Turtle
                          Learn more about this prehistoric-looking creature often called the “dinosaur of the turtle world.”

Yeah sure, I'm going to strap a bunch of supplies to the backs of one of those. These things are in the Illinois River just south of me, and it is best to avoid them. They'll hunt fish and frogs on the bottom by dangling it's bright red tongue out for bait, and anything that comes into contact with it or it's beak will not end well. They are very cantankerous and will snap anything in two with their powerful beak. Go ahead and stick your finger anywhere near it's mouth, because you're not getting it back!!

(I think I'll just stick with the 2000 year domesticated horse, donkey, mule, or mechanized hauling vehicles, they're alot easier to handle with a little less of the "attitude". .)
                          1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                          1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                          1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                          1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post

The graphic that was included with the original article.
                            Still say it definitely has "functional similarities" to Cecil Pond's Walk-behind Tractor also made in South Bend in the same time frame. My Father bought one of Cecil's walk-behinds in the 50's and the wagon (wheelbarrow) attachment that goes to it. I've still got the wagon (wheelbarrow) attachment, but the Walk-behind Tractor was sold in 2008. Chris D., did you ever go over and talk with Cecil about his possible involvement with the Studebaker Turtle? Last I checked he was still around!!!

Comment

Last I checked he was still around!!! Missed it by [] that much:

http://www.tributes.com/show/Cecil-Pond-93058142

Comment

Working...
                              X