X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• !956 56H W Studebaker President Question

Hi,

I am a newby, be gentle.

Just purchased a 1956 Pres. 4 dr. ,56H - W. 79000 miles. Pretty good over all condition. Will need paint, but is a fair 25 footer job, and a general detail job to clean it up. No major mechanical problems. or body damage. Upholstery has been re-done, also. All gauges work. Has a modern stereo, seller does have OEM radio, also.

My question... most of the specs I find on the net do not list a '56H W with dual exhaust or a 4bbl carb. (Carter , I think).

This one does have both, and they appear to be OEM. The SN is 7808xxx. Maybe this is a late '56 or was added later. ???

Also, I could not find a dip stick to check the A/T fluid. Is there one?

Thanks

Originally posted by tsaxy1 View Post
    Hi,

I am a newby, be gentle.

Just purchased a 1956 Pres. 4 dr. ,56H - W. 79000 miles. Pretty good over all condition. Will need paint, but is a fair 25 footer job, and a general detail job to clean it up. No major mechanical problems. or body damage. Upholstery has been re-done, also. All gauges work. Has a modern stereo, seller does have OEM radio, also.

My question... most of the specs I find on the net do not list a '56H W with dual exhaust or a 4bbl carb. (Carter , I think).

This one does have both, and they appear to be OEM. The SN is 7808xxx. Maybe this is a late '56 or was added later. ???

Also, I could not find a dip stick to check the A/T fluid. Is there one?

Thanks
    The 4bbl and dual exhausts would be legitimate options on the car. Order the build sheet from the Studebaker National Museum and you will be able to tell how the car was equipped when built.
    I'm not sure about when they went to an under hood dipstick, buy I suspect that it was later than your car. There is probably an access hole on the transmission tunnel just in front of the front seat. If there is, it will have a round rubber plate over it held with two screws (I think). The dipstick with be there.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

yes and no...

Originally posted by 53k View Post
      There is probably an access hole on the transmission tunnel just in front of the front seat. If there is, it will have a round rubber plate over it held with two screws (I think). The dipstick with be there.
      Access to the transmission dip stick is indeed on the passenger side of the transmission hump, but the rectangle panel is held in place by no less then six screws!!! At least that's how my two '57s and '58 Packard are.
      My Parkview also has the late model underhood dipstick~ but that is not stock...
      StudeDave '57
      US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
      SDC Member since 1985

past President
      Whatcom County Chapter SDC
      San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
      San Diego Chapter SDC
      North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Once you've found the AT dipstick, you still have to learn how Studebaker wants you to use it. With the engine running, with chocks around at least one wheel. put it in drive, then and only then check the ATF level. Use DexMex or Dextron III. Don't over fill.

Comment

WELCOME...to the SDC Forum!!!

Comment

Originally posted by StudeDave57 View Post
            Access to the transmission dip stick is indeed on the passenger side of the transmission hump, but the rectangle panel is held in place by no less then six screws!!! At least that's how my two '57s and '58 Packard are.
            My Parkview also has the late model underhood dipstick~ but that is not stock...
            Mine only have 4 screws, Dave. But either way, that's where the cover is.

Welcome to the Forum. A '56 President is a nice car.

Comment

Welcome tsaxy1 to the SDC and to the SDC Forum! You can join our Club to receive the best Car Club Monthly Publication out there, "Turning Wheels" and get aquainted with other fellow owners in the nearest Local Chapter.
              There is a link at the top of this page to join with a First Time discount.

Your Car has the optional "Power Kit" 4 Brl. Carter WCFB square bore 4 Barrel Carb. and Dual Exhausts. This version of the 289 puts out an advertised 210 HP.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

i also welcome you!!!

there's quite a few members of this forum, and SDC that are in your area.

and - we all love pics of studes!!!
                Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Hi, Robert. 'Good to have another Robert on the forum. Hopefully, you'll go by Bob, too; we've been running as low as 50% on Bobs lately and need some reinforcements. <GGG>

Welcome to our world!

Anyway, dual exhausts were standard equipment on all 1956 Presidents, regardless of carburetor. The shorter-wheelbase "W" body President 4-door, like yours, had a 2bbl carb standard equipment with 4bbl optional at extra cost. BP
                  We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hey....Thanks for the welcome and good info.

I pick this car up tomorrow (Feb 21). Can't wait...lots to do.

I now remember that there is a large note book in the trunk( 3 ring style). The seller said it was the manual. Did not have time to look at it. Not sure if it is a factory manual or a record of service and repair records. I'm hoping it is a manual, so I don't have to ask more questions. The seller says his family is the second owner. They have owned it since the earl 80s. A desert car with no rust.

There is a Southern AZ group here in Tucson...I'll check it out once I get the car and check it out so I know what I'm talking about.

Thanks, again,

Bob

Comment

Working...
                    X