I think I cured the fuel smell in the Lark's cabin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: I think I cured the fuel smell in the Lark's cabin

I think I did it! It's always the little things you overlook that mean the most, righjt? I had replaced the short rubber line between the tank and frame line, replaced the flexible hose between the filler neck and tank inlet, new gaskets around the inlet, checked the sender seal... and still the trunk stunk and so did the passenger compartment, when the sun came out and the gas started expanding.

So last weekend I was thumbing through the Parts Manual and saw something I hadn't noticed before: the illustration shows a grommet that goes in the trunk floor for the vent tube to pass through.

I'd never seen this! And of course mine was long gone. So I went down to Ace and got a grommet of the appropriate size, slid it onto the vent tube and remounted the whole thing, and it sealed up tight as you please.

This seems to have cured the problem of the fuel smell. It was something that small! A .45-cent part. I drove around all day in the hot sun with no hint of gas.
    Last edited by showbizkid; 02-18-2012, 05:09 PM.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

I love it when a plan comes together.Take a bow!
    Thanks for the tip.I'll have to check mine....

Comment

Clark, you've got to be kidding me!

Two weeks ago I sent Ann Turner the April 2012 Turning Wheels Co-Operator. Therein we discuss a member's fuel smell in his '63 Lark. I took a picture like yours (more or less) and included it in the response, cautioning people to check that grommet and associated hoses, clamps, and for potential rust around any openings, such as the grommet's.

Well, the folks on the forum just got an unknown preview of the April 2012 Turning Wheels Co-Operator, with no collusion between the two of of us! (Sounds good to me; with today's fuels and so many cars running around with OEM hoses and such, this cannot be overstated....and I doubt that 10% of Turning Wheels readership will have seen it here.) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

That's freaky, Bob! Amazing how some things are just "in the air," so to speak (no pun intended relating to the topic at hand...).

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Most Larks in the Midwest have no floor in that area to attach the grommet to!!! Seriously though it amazes me sometimes how the smallest thing can make such a big difference
          1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

Working...
          X