Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Theft at Studebaker (don't think they didn't know!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Theft at Studebaker (don't think they didn't know!)

This was posted on bulletin boards throughout the factory. You may recall some reference to this issue in the Lamberti papers.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Is it known what specific act brought this on? In college I worked in a paper mill and people (not me!) would carry out rolls of toilet paper in their lunch pails.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

You mean oil filters Don? Where I worked you would have to be crazy to wipe your butt with what they called toilet paper but it worked good as oil filter refills.

Comment

"Wheelbarrows."

Comment

Pretty cool that they had "salvage stores" where scrap items could be purchased.
          Andy
          62 GT

Comment

The plant I work at used to have a salvage yard where we could buy scrap metal and wood. Unfortunatly greedy people ruined it by taking new material from the shop, cutting and working on it on company time, then taking it to the scrap area and "finding" it.
            We can no longer buy surplus tool cabinets because someone at another plant claimed to get sick from contamination on a locker and sued.
            Another case of a few ruining a good thing for everyone else.
            Dwight 54 Commander hardtop

Comment

Did about the same at Cadillac. Had a salvage store where you could buy discontinued parts etc. All sold "as is" no warrentys. Could buy stuff like power antennas for $7 Discontinued paint colors for $20 a 5 gal can. Ruined by an idiot who bought a tire and sued Cad when he got a flat believe it or not. Company said they weren't making enough on parts to pay the lawyers so thereafter all discontinued parts were scrapped. Watched the salvage dept cut new alum wheels with a torch, slash new leather seats with razor knives,cut wire harnesses with hand axes.

Bob
              Own \'53 Commander Starliner. Red w/beige top. 350 Chev/700R4. Tilt,cruise,A/C.http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j30/Bobphyl/StudeontheBeach.jpg

Comment

Wonder if Johnny Cash worked there?
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Prior to the years I worked at McDonnell-Douglas, there had been a bunch of maintenace types who moonlighted outside the plant. Once they got a contract on such endeavors, they order the materials against a job in the plant. Once the stuff was delivered, they'd tag it "surplus" and send it to the surplus store the plant operated. This store could be patronized by employees as well as the public. When the stuff showed up at the surplus store, one of the collaborators would buy it and then use it for their moonlight job. While the customer got a real deal on supplies, the perpetrators STILL made money on the stuff that taxpayers (they were building military aircraft as well as civilian planes) had paid for.
                  When this scam was finally realized, the plant no longer let employees buy from the surplus store. Of course, that didn't mean the wrongsters couldn't have a non-employee accomplice ready to help!

I did talk to an ex-Studebaker employee years ago. He'd worked in South Bend in the early 50s. He told that when employees wanted to do a tune-up on the Stude cars, they'd grab a new distributor, rather than bother with points, condensor, rotor and cap. Simply slip out the old distributor and replace it with the complete, adjusted and ready new one!
                  No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Why do you think all of those lazy union guys always had those gigantic metal lunch boxes?
                    It was not because they were big eaters!
                    Good Roads
                    Brian
                    PS There used to be a black market at our local A&W when the White Western Star plant was here in Kelowna.
                    If you neede Stewart Warner guages.............................before the Western star logo was put on them.
                    Brian Woods
                    woodysrods@shaw.ca
                    1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

First let me say all persons have passed on, but me. But a MB (Stude) Road man had a mother that drove a 57 Packard Wagon. In about 1972 I was in the neighborhood of the MB mans brothers garage and noticed the '57 setting in a corner with box after box of Studebaker Packard marked boxes on it's top, hood and inside, all containing new parts I asked what was this all about. The brother to the MB (Stude) guy said his brother would get the parts needed to restore the wagon declaired surplus, they would be sent to the salvage building where they could be purchased as scrap for very little money. I'm talking roof rack, fenders, trim, dash board, instruments, dual antennas etc . etc. I did inquire about year later what happned to the wagon and was told it was sold with all the parts to a fellow in Essex, Illinois.

Comment

I know it looks like we're engaging in "I can beat that one" here, but I'm all for it.

My first station manager was (still is!) quite a character. He had a fishing (pronounced "drinking") buddy, a shop steward at Da Jeep, who had an early CJ-5. For a retirement present, the boice quick-torched the body off, ran it right down the assembly line and installed an all new tub, interior such as it was, and wiring.

Comment

That letter must have been posted after all the 340 V/8 parts ended up missing! ( Couldn't resist)

Gordon S
                          Last edited by laughinlark; 02-19-2012, 10:24 PM.

Comment

You shouldn't make the 'lazy union guys' upset woodysrods. Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker did, and He'll be looking for a new job soon!

Comment

And if that doesn't lock the thread, your efforts have been in vain.

Comment

Working...
                              X