Hubcap ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubcap ?

Are there any Stude hubcaps that look simple and vintage that came in both 15" and 16" and would match?

I am running 15" front wheels and 16" rears and am thinking about running full wheel covers but I want them to match....doubtful, but thought I would ask.
    May end up only being Moony Discs as my only option.

Kelly I can't think of any 16" Stude wheel covers.

Comment

I was not sure, thought I would ask. 16" wheels were pretty common in the 50's on full size cars, so it was worth asking.

Comment

Dodge 1-ton vans in at least the late 80's used a stainless ring that adapted 15 inch wheel covers to fit 16 inch wheels. They were typically used on passenger vans. These might work for your purpose if you can find some.
        Rob

Comment

Save yourself a lot of money and time and buy aftermarket wheels. ie Polished Americans????
          Wish I would have on Sandi's Hawk, as the Wheels, sandblasting, powder coating, and hubcaps have cost me almost as much. And now my friends are ragging on me that it looks like an "old man's" car.
          Good Roads
          Brian
          Brian Woods
          woodysrods@shaw.ca
          1946 M Series (Shop Truck)

Comment

my '40 had 16" wheels. i used to see them on ebay - not cheap... this is the "worst" looking one i had on the spare: (clicky twice for larger pic)...

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0395.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	1671908

i don't know if this is something like you're looking for, or if there is a 15" 'cap of the same design. Mr. Q and others should know...

i tend to agree w/woody for some 60's type wheels for "the look" you're going for... (or maybe wheel covers instead of caps?)
            Last edited by Corvanti; 02-16-2012, 02:12 PM.
            Kerry. SDC Member #A012596W. ENCSDC member.

'51 Champion Business Coupe - (Tom's Car). Purchased 11/2012.

'40 Champion. sold 10/11. '63 Avanti R-1384. sold 12/10.

Comment

Kelly, I would run the simple "full Moon" '51-'52 Stude. 15 in. Wheel Covers on the front, and if you can find those aftermarket 16in. old 30's and '40's Car full moon wheel covers they will be very close to the same except the stude. Crest in the center.

Wheel Covers always cry out for Whitewalls, but on an R Series it would depend on the Wheel and Body Color as to how good they look, not to mention your taste.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Woody,
                Trust me I would have loved to use a vintage hot rod aluminum wheel....My truck is a 3/4T with the big 6 bolt pattern. As in 6 lugs on a 7-1/4" circle. Aint no wheels no where no how that fit this truck.
                I wanted to keep it ranch truck style that is being hot rodded looking. So I wanted to leave the huge Timken rearend and drum brakes on the straight axle.
                I have already had the front wheels built by Diamond racing and the rears are next. I just think the wheels just look generic since the wheel centers are flat discs with 5 kidney bean shaped cut outs. It is ALL that I could get in that bolt pattern. Everywhere I called said "good luck" on finding any drop center tubless wheels for that pattern. After weeks of searching Diamond was the only place I found that would even consider making me something.
                I joined 3 Jeep/IHC/Ford military truck sites just to try and find anything...and trust me...me on a fWord site was very PAINFUL. Here is a link to the wheels I ended up with, the only ones in 6x7.25 are the black 2 wheels in the pic.:

I had them powder coated an orangey red and they look nice, but the flat center and kidney beans just look wrong era for my trucks theme. I was thinking about hubcaps to cover the style but keep my nice HD, tubless, racing wheels. I want to run the Big n Little look so I got 15x5 front rims and I already ordered BFG 590x15 WWW tires due in a few days. Here is a link to them:

I am getting 16x9 rears later with 30x10x16 tires for them. The next link will be the tires I am getting. The tires will be the 4 pic down called "Hurst" and the tread cut I am getting is the "Ascot" in the pic on third from the bottom pic and the far left tikre tread all in WWW.

I am just really limited. Maybe I will try to make a center cap fit over the lugs if I can get them stay on. The outer circle of the lugs is about 8.25" so I will try something, just not sure I like the kidney beans. They look kind of GM rally wheel only flat. Just kicking around ideas

Comment

My friends are tasteless mostly

Powder coating is overpriced, overrated, and sometimes just plain overkill.
                  Used wheels, 100 for a decent set.
                  4 to 6 cans of rattle cans of color plus 4 cans of primer. Wal Mart 40.00
                  Big Lots or the dollar store. 1/2
                  4 premium used American Made hubcaps 100.00 Stude sets as low as 40.00 <<< or less
                  I totaled 160.00 to 240.00 cheers jimmijim

QUOTE=woodysrods;621424]Save yourself a lot of money and time and buy aftermarket wheels. ie Polished Americans????
                  Wish I would have on Sandi's Hawk, as the Wheels, sandblasting, powder coating, and hubcaps have cost me almost as much. And now my friends are ragging on me that it looks like an "old man's" car.
                  Good Roads
                  Brian[/QUOTE]
                  sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

jimmi,
                    I got you beat on painting stock rims, Rustoleum Industrial paint in qts. is 8 bucks. A can of primer is the same and it can be thinned with acetone to spray. A qt of acetone is 9 bucks tops and will thin 2 qts of paint so for a qt of Rustoleum primer, a can of Rustoleum paint {many colors available} and a qt of acetone and I shot my stock rims, my dash, and a number of other pieces for $25.00.

All fine except my stock rims are no good since I only had 3 and none others popped up after dozens of request on multiple sites, then I just did not want to run split wheels and tubes for hot rodding. So I had to have the rims I bought made.

Comment

You da man I'm proud of you

Some may have a problem with using a spray gun. That is why I used the spray cans for an example. cheers paint-on dude. jimmijimQUOTE=kmac530;621453]jimmi,
                      I got you beat on painting stock rims, Rustoleum Industrial paint in qts. is 8 bucks. A can of primer is the same and it can be thinned with acetone to spray. A qt of acetone is 9 bucks tops and will thin 2 qts of paint so for a qt of Rustoleum primer, a can of Rustoleum paint {many colors available} and a qt of acetone and I shot my stock rims, my dash, and a number of other pieces for $25.00.

All fine except my stock rims are no good since I only had 3 and none others popped up after dozens of request on multiple sites, then I just did not want to run split wheels and tubes for hot rodding. So I had to have the rims I bought made.[/QUOTE]
                      sigpicAnything worth doing deserves your best shot. Do it right the first time. When you're done you will know it. { I'm just the guy who thinks he knows everything, my buddy is the guy who knows everything.} cheers jimmijim*****SDC***** member

Comment

Wheel covers may present a problem & hub caps even more so. How about chrome caps over the lug nuts with beauty rings? Depending on the color of the wheels it may have a good contrast & create the effect your looking for, especially the low buck "hot rod look".
                        59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                        60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                        61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                        62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                        62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                        63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                        63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                        64 Zip Van
                        66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                        66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Dey look nice 2

oiy65e4w3rasdrtyfguyihjkhgtdewq344e56789
                          Originally posted by Warren Webb View Post
                          Wheel covers may present a problem & hub caps even more so. How about chrome caps over the lug nuts with beauty rings? Depending on the color of the wheels it may have a good contrast & create the effect your looking for, especially the low buck "hot rod look".

Comment

Originally posted by jimmijim8 View Post
                            oiy65e4w3rasdrtyfguyihjkhgtdewq344e56789
                            What is that? Code?

Comment

If I told ya I'd have to kill ya. cheers jim
                              Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
                              What is that? Code?

Comment

Working...
                              X