1955 Studebaker claim !! Speedstrer History

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1955 Studebaker claim !! Speedstrer History

In 1955, on the speedster Catalog it states, "Studebaker, the largest builder of Sports cars in America".

I know that ad agencys use a lot of "poetic license" but this seems a bit over the top. I can see it if they referred to Sports Sedans but a five passenger Sports Car?

What about the Corvette and T-Bird (still a 2-passenger in 55)???

Does anyone know how this claim came about (alling Bob Palma or Mr. Quinn) it just seems so over the top espeially give the Corvette ads calling the Vette "Ameria's Sports Car."

Murray
    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

I believe they were referring to all C & K bodied cars. A "stretch" maybe to refer to them as "sports cars" but isn't this in character with most advertising then as now?
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

It would be a daunting task to compose a list of all the cars that have worn the name "Sport" on them. However you might balk at some of them, they DO have a "SPORT" script or decal on the deck lid or fenders! I think there was even a Pinto "SPORT" at one time
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Lotsa cars called sports cars, even "Super Sport". Is that sportier than a plain sports car?

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
          I believe they were referring to all C & K bodied cars. A "stretch" maybe to refer to them as "sports cars" but isn't this in character with most advertising then as now?
          What Dick said; I've read that elsewhere, too. They were including all C/Ks in their "sports car" tally. Silly, I know.

They couldn't be talking about Speedster versus Corvette and Thunderbird production. True, Studebaker sold more than three times as many Speedsters as Chevrolet sold 1955 Corvettes, but Ford's 1955 Thunderbird outsold the Speedster more than 7 to 1! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
            It would be a daunting task to compose a list of all the cars that have worn the name "Sport" on them. However you might balk at some of them, they DO have a "SPORT" script or decal on the deck lid or fenders! I think there was even a Pinto "SPORT" at one time
            And lest we forget, Chrysler magic wagons in their 'Sport' versions. As far as Pinto, at least it wasn't a "Fireball XL-5" (quirky little cultural reference from my youth)

Comment

Ew!!!!!! what is that thing?????? OH! I see....it's called a what?.....chev-rol- let???? Hmmmmm that must be some french word for SLOW????

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
              Lotsa cars called sports cars, even "Super Sport". Is that sportier than a plain sports car?

Bez Auto Alchemy
              573-318-8948
              http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I don't know about that Murray, every time I drive My Speedster it sure feels like a sports car to Me----just more comfortable!!

Comment

It comes up from time to time, just how different the definition of a sports car was in the early 50's. Everyone has heard jokes about the first Corvettes with their straight six and 2-speed automatic, but all three makers were playing (relatively) fast and loose with The Rules. Looking back now, with our memory of a generation of personal luxury cars, street racers and pony cars that took the place of sports cars -- and the current experience of family sedans that easily outhandle all but the best of the classic era, at least numerically -- we can't make sense of it at all.

The idea of a fast "sportscar," "sport car," or "sporting car," or one with a large engine, was extremely new in 1955. There were those who would look down on a convertible, because they were supposed to be open cars. If you had side windows, they were supposed to be flexible, with snaps. Roll-up windows were right out. Heater, radio? Pshaw. If you can't exactly forgive Studebaker for riding the new wave of enthusiasm for an all new kind of car, I think you have to admit that they weren't violating tradition any worse than several other makers.

Comment

Atually I feel the same way. It's the reason i sought out a Speedster in the first place. To my eye, the Speedster has presense and I an't look at one without smiling. Mine is Standard w/OD and a fun ride.

On a related subjet; I've heard many times that the reason that "Speedster" is a one year model is that Porshe had a Speedster and had trademarked the name. an anyone confirm?

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                    I don't know about that Murray, every time I drive My Speedster it sure feels like a sports car to Me----just more comfortable!!
                    Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

To: stall,------------- Mines a factory 3spd o/d also. They're always a bit more fun! No idea if the 'SPEEDSTER' name was previously trademarked.

Comment

Back in Minnesota in the 50's and 60's we called any two door hardtop (no posts) a "sports coupe."
                        RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                        4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                        5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Working...
                        X