PDA

View Full Version : A disturbing incident at SB

studelark
06-29-2007, 03:26 PM
Friends: I have attended many Studebaker events including swap meets as a vendor in 20 annual trips to York, several trips to Reedsville and six International Meets over the past 25 years. At South Bend Building B on Friday AM, three of my neighboring vendors had several valuable items stolen off their tables. This type of activity may have occured in the past swap meets somewhere, but this was such a blatant outrage. I hope that this is not the beginning of similiar incidents that will plague our swap meets. The degradation of our culture that creates theives who will steal anything to satisfy their greed is truly distrubing.

I realize every culture has its theives, but it now seems nothing is sacred. Who would steal valuable, original Studebaker parts off the table at a Studebaker swap meet? I can not believe is was simply some anonymous street person who wandered in or a dopey picking up something for a hit. This incident concerns me and I hope it is not a harbinger of the future.

Just expressing an concern. Frank

curt
06-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Sorry to hear about someones bad behavior. Thanks for being a vendor, I think vendering is a lot of hard work and often not enough praise for the work you and other vendors do,Thank you for a job well done.

curt
06-29-2007, 03:51 PM
Sorry to hear about someones bad behavior. Thanks for being a vendor, I think vendering is a lot of hard work and often not enough praise for the work you and other vendors do,Thank you for a job well done.

studeclunker
06-29-2007, 03:57 PM
My dear Frank, I'm very sorry to hear your stay in SB was spoiled in that way. It's a sad fact of life that there are people who can't keep their hands to themselves. Whether this is greed or some sort of illness (cleptomania), it's a clear indication of our fallen humanity.

I agree with Curt though. Without you and the others at that swapmeet, we would all be a lot poorer. Thank you for your devotion to our hobby.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
Lotsa Larks!
K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
Ron Smith
Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?

studeclunker
06-29-2007, 03:57 PM
My dear Frank, I'm very sorry to hear your stay in SB was spoiled in that way. It's a sad fact of life that there are people who can't keep their hands to themselves. Whether this is greed or some sort of illness (cleptomania), it's a clear indication of our fallen humanity.

I agree with Curt though. Without you and the others at that swapmeet, we would all be a lot poorer. Thank you for your devotion to our hobby.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/december%2006/HPIM0234.jpg http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b18/Studeclunker/56%20Parkview%20Wagon/56wagonleftfrontclipped-1.jpg
Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

rockinhawk
06-29-2007, 05:26 PM
I too was a victim of a theft at SB, though I'm not a vendor. I parked my truck and trailer behind the Holiday Inn and left it there. After we unloaded Matthew's truck we drove it everwhere we went. Friday night hotel security contacted me and said somone had been caught removing items from the back of my truck.Items recovered were a floor jack and 4 bottles of GATORADE. Nothing else appeared to be missing. Can you believe someone would steal Gatorade? NT

Neil Thornton
Hazlehurst, GA
'57 Silver Hawk
'56 Sky Hawk
'51 2R16 dump truck
Many others.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar2.jpg

rockinhawk
06-29-2007, 05:26 PM
I too was a victim of a theft at SB, though I'm not a vendor. I parked my truck and trailer behind the Holiday Inn and left it there. After we unloaded Matthew's truck we drove it everwhere we went. Friday night hotel security contacted me and said somone had been caught removing items from the back of my truck.Items recovered were a floor jack and 4 bottles of GATORADE. Nothing else appeared to be missing. Can you believe someone would steal Gatorade? NT

Neil Thornton
Hazlehurst, GA
'57 Silver Hawk
'56 Sky Hawk
'51 2R16 dump truck
Many others.
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/avatar2.jpg

azrael4h
06-29-2007, 05:54 PM
That sucks. I can believe it though, people will steal anything.

Rockinhawk, I could tell a story of something that was "stolen" once, when my grandfather was set up at a flea market with no bath room, but it's probably not appropriate to mention that here...

Guard: Where are you going in such a hurry?
Gorrak the ranger: Uhhh...Gorrak have quiche in oven!!
Guard: well hurry along.

1953 Champion 2 door Sedan
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

azrael4h
06-29-2007, 05:54 PM
That sucks. I can believe it though, people will steal anything.

Rockinhawk, I could tell a story of something that was "stolen" once, when my grandfather was set up at a flea market with no bath room, but it's probably not appropriate to mention that here...

Guard: Where are you going in such a hurry?
Gorrak the ranger: Uhhh...Gorrak have quiche in oven!!
Guard: well hurry along.

1953 Champion 2 door Sedan
2006 Chevrolet Cobalt LS Coupe

JDP
06-29-2007, 06:26 PM
There have been similar incidents at York and Reedsville. I suspect new members that don't like the prices they see. It's not just the buyers, Avanti parts Corporation lost thousands of dollars in parts from dealers that stuffed muffler boxes with trim items before check out. That's why SASCO trusts so few vendors to pull there own parts upstairs. One bad apple actually stole about $1000 worth of SASCO stuff while "helping" with the parts move, but we chased him down and recovered the stuff. The guy decided to steal some very rare items that were noticed in his possession after we posted them on the news group.

JDP/Maryland
66 Sports sedan
64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
64 Daytona R2
63 GT R2
63 Lark 2 door
62 Gt Hawk
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

JDP
06-29-2007, 06:26 PM
There have been similar incidents at York and Reedsville. I suspect new members that don't like the prices they see. It's not just the buyers, Avanti parts Corporation lost thousands of dollars in parts from dealers that stuffed muffler boxes with trim items before check out. That's why SASCO trusts so few vendors to pull there own parts upstairs. One bad apple actually stole about $1000 worth of SASCO stuff while "helping" with the parts move, but we chased him down and recovered the stuff. The guy decided to steal some very rare items that were noticed in his possession after we posted them on the news group.

JDP/Maryland
66 Sports sedan
64 Daytona HT/R2 clone
64 Daytona R2
63 GT R2
63 Lark 2 door
62 Gt Hawk
62 Lark 2 door
60 Lark HT-60Hawk
59 3E truck
58 Starlight
52 & 53 Starliner
51 Commander

jjones
06-29-2007, 07:07 PM
I am really sad to hear that there are thieves among us Studebaker people. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but my dealings with other Studebaker people have been so positive I just figured we were all honest. I suspect, though, that the thieves will pay dearly in the end.

jj

jjones
06-29-2007, 07:07 PM
I am really sad to hear that there are thieves among us Studebaker people. I suppose I shouldn't be surprised but my dealings with other Studebaker people have been so positive I just figured we were all honest. I suspect, though, that the thieves will pay dearly in the end.

jj

studelark
06-29-2007, 07:45 PM
quote:Originally posted by jjones

jj

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@

Hello jj; You have stated my feelings exactly. I've vended since 1977 with Brand x and xx, Studebaker since 1985. I've never had anyone rip me off. I have always trusted people, especially Studebaker folks who are the greatest. I've never even had a confrontation with a Studebaker fan over parts or money.

The few stories already posted means this wasn't the first time this type of thing has happened, just the first time I've been exposed to several vendors really upset and angry. Maybe I've lived in my innocence too long. But, I'll keep vending until the old body plays out completely and then my Stude partner and son will continue the vending.

Overall, the South Bend '07 was the best of six Internationals I have attended. Super extramendious!!!

Frank Drumheller
Louisa, VA
'60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
'48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

studelark
06-29-2007, 07:45 PM

jj

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@ @@@@@

Hello jj; You have stated my feelings exactly. I've vended since 1977 with Brand x and xx, Studebaker since 1985. I've never had anyone rip me off. I have always trusted people, especially Studebaker folks who are the greatest. I've never even had a confrontation with a Studebaker fan over parts or money.

The few stories already posted means this wasn't the first time this type of thing has happened, just the first time I've been exposed to several vendors really upset and angry. Maybe I've lived in my innocence too long. But, I'll keep vending until the old body plays out completely and then my Stude partner and son will continue the vending.

Overall, the South Bend '07 was the best of six Internationals I have attended. Super extramendious!!!

Frank Drumheller
Louisa, VA
'60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
'48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

mbstude
06-29-2007, 07:48 PM
A few years ago, big time Stude collector Dr. Robert Cade had a rear view mirror stolen off one of his show winning Studes. A shame it is indeed to see it come down to this. [V]

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/00track.jpg

mbstude
06-29-2007, 07:48 PM
A few years ago, big time Stude collector Dr. Robert Cade had a rear view mirror stolen off one of his show winning Studes. A shame it is indeed to see it come down to this. [V]

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/00track.jpg

showbizkid
06-29-2007, 08:05 PM

I suspect, though, that the thieves will pay dearly in the end.

That's what the Book says :D

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

showbizkid
06-29-2007, 08:05 PM

I suspect, though, that the thieves will pay dearly in the end.

That's what the Book says :D

[img=left]http://members.cox.net/clarknovak/lark.gif[/img=left]

Clark in San Diego
'63 F2/Lark Standard
http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Lenny R2
06-29-2007, 08:53 PM
I am sorry to her that things were stolen at S.B.I guess its
impossable to watch everybody.I usualy trust everybody untill i find
out otherwise.Hopefully it will not stop vendors going to other meets.
Like they say what goes around comes around to thoes who stole.

Lenny
Atlanta Ga.

Lenny R2
06-29-2007, 08:53 PM
I am sorry to her that things were stolen at S.B.I guess its
impossable to watch everybody.I usualy trust everybody untill i find
out otherwise.Hopefully it will not stop vendors going to other meets.
Like they say what goes around comes around to thoes who stole.

Lenny
Atlanta Ga.

toyman
06-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Be careful what you post here. There are certain members of the forum that don't want to hear reality or anything negative about SDC or their members. Heaven forbid the truth come out! We are vendors also and setup displays for members to look at and enjoy. Knock on wood, I don't believe we have ever been the target of thieves. I guess there is always the first time. Sorry to hear about the problems of others.

toyman

toyman
06-29-2007, 09:35 PM
Be careful what you post here. There are certain members of the forum that don't want to hear reality or anything negative about SDC or their members. Heaven forbid the truth come out! We are vendors also and setup displays for members to look at and enjoy. Knock on wood, I don't believe we have ever been the target of thieves. I guess there is always the first time. Sorry to hear about the problems of others.

toyman

raprice
06-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Unfortunately, there are thieves all over. I still can't believe a fellow hobbiest will rip off another hobbiest, whether it be a vendor or someone showing their prized antique car.
A good friend of mine has a beautifully restored '52 Chevy hardtop. He was at a cruise night last summer and when he was looking at the other cars at the show, someone swiped the horn button from his car. It turns out that that particular year horn button is very difficult to obtain. Luckily, he was able to find another one and replace the stolen one. Now, he locks his car at car shows now. He trusts no one. Can't say that I blame him.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

raprice
06-29-2007, 10:52 PM
Unfortunately, there are thieves all over. I still can't believe a fellow hobbiest will rip off another hobbiest, whether it be a vendor or someone showing their prized antique car.
A good friend of mine has a beautifully restored '52 Chevy hardtop. He was at a cruise night last summer and when he was looking at the other cars at the show, someone swiped the horn button from his car. It turns out that that particular year horn button is very difficult to obtain. Luckily, he was able to find another one and replace the stolen one. Now, he locks his car at car shows now. He trusts no one. Can't say that I blame him.
Rog

'59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop

Laemmle
06-29-2007, 11:02 PM
A thief is a thief, why are you surprised?.......If scum can break into churches and rectories, and sometimes knock down priests and nuns to get what they want.......well, stealing Stude parts is childs play.

Laemmle
06-29-2007, 11:02 PM
A thief is a thief, why are you surprised?.......If scum can break into churches and rectories, and sometimes knock down priests and nuns to get what they want.......well, stealing Stude parts is childs play.

sumf
06-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Time for TV cameras scattered all over the place?
Personally, I've vended only in California and had no problem (that I now of) except for a friend-of-friend sellng my $5/each stuff for $5 / box!

Damn, that SB stuff gets me pissed off.
Karl

sumf
06-30-2007, 12:01 AM
Time for TV cameras scattered all over the place?
Personally, I've vended only in California and had no problem (that I now of) except for a friend-of-friend sellng my $5/each stuff for $5 / box!

Damn, that SB stuff gets me pissed off.
Karl

PlainBrownR2
06-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Cameras scattered all over the place...
Chicago is working on that very idea. They are looking to implement what I believe are Blue Box cameras mounted in the same position as the street lamps over some of the more major intersections. At the moment its not Big Brother or anything of that nature, its more for monitoring for petty crime and items of that sort. Also makes it more difficult for gangs to conduct in neighborhoods that are low lit and isolated.
Anyways, I had a situation that wasn't robbery(well it could have been robbery if it was time), it was more of the symptoms of a con. I should start by saying I keep a certain level of skepticism which would help me later on. A person starts off as just somebody, if you do something positive I like ya. If you try to take from my wallet without asking, I dont wanna see you again, nothing personal. I was waiting for the car to warm at the motel so I could go get it washed. Well I see this Jimmy pull up with a couple from New Bedford, Indiana. They claimed their truck was near out of gas and they were wondering if I could bum them some cash so they could get some gas. They also asked for an address to send the check to pay for the fuel once they had some more cash. Well, I didn't hear this part very well so I shut the car off, walked to the rear to get my Jerry Can(had this from my bad sending unit days) and offered to run to get them fuel if they provided the money. My old fashioned genorousity was running the show again, lol. They stated thats not what they wanted, they wanted me to give them cash and to provide them my address to send a check. Well I may be generous but I'm not stupid. After hearing this I said, "can't do it sorry". Well they said "alright, sorry to trouble you" and drove off.
Well, I've seen some weird stuff in around the suburbs (example: somebody's free hot large flatscreen if I could cart it off myself, another I dont think so) but this was a first. I also provide this story as a warning not to give almost anybody you don't know your money or personal information, even if he does start off seeming as a friend. This can be the kind of thing where you could come home to an open door and nothing inside. Keep an eye out on your table. Yeah, thieves are all over the place. Its not just Studebakers, we've had this problem with the model trains and brass equipment too. Be aware that if its valuable, somebody out there may know its valuable, so don't put it out in a spot where it could disappear with ease. Like the story above, what goes around comes around, sometimes if a person is on guard, it comes around even faster, lol.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]

PlainBrownR2
06-30-2007, 12:31 AM
Cameras scattered all over the place...
Chicago is working on that very idea. They are looking to implement what I believe are Blue Box cameras mounted in the same position as the street lamps over some of the more major intersections. At the moment its not Big Brother or anything of that nature, its more for monitoring for petty crime and items of that sort. Also makes it more difficult for gangs to conduct in neighborhoods that are low lit and isolated.
Anyways, I had a situation that wasn't robbery(well it could have been robbery if it was time), it was more of the symptoms of a con. I should start by saying I keep a certain level of skepticism which would help me later on. A person starts off as just somebody, if you do something positive I like ya. If you try to take from my wallet without asking, I dont wanna see you again, nothing personal. I was waiting for the car to warm at the motel so I could go get it washed. Well I see this Jimmy pull up with a couple from New Bedford, Indiana. They claimed their truck was near out of gas and they were wondering if I could bum them some cash so they could get some gas. They also asked for an address to send the check to pay for the fuel once they had some more cash. Well, I didn't hear this part very well so I shut the car off, walked to the rear to get my Jerry Can(had this from my bad sending unit days) and offered to run to get them fuel if they provided the money. My old fashioned genorousity was running the show again, lol. They stated thats not what they wanted, they wanted me to give them cash and to provide them my address to send a check. Well I may be generous but I'm not stupid. After hearing this I said, "can't do it sorry". Well they said "alright, sorry to trouble you" and drove off.
Well, I've seen some weird stuff in around the suburbs (example: somebody's free hot large flatscreen if I could cart it off myself, another I dont think so) but this was a first. I also provide this story as a warning not to give almost anybody you don't know your money or personal information, even if he does start off seeming as a friend. This can be the kind of thing where you could come home to an open door and nothing inside. Keep an eye out on your table. Yeah, thieves are all over the place. Its not just Studebakers, we've had this problem with the model trains and brass equipment too. Be aware that if its valuable, somebody out there may know its valuable, so don't put it out in a spot where it could disappear with ease. Like the story above, what goes around comes around, sometimes if a person is on guard, it comes around even faster, lol.

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
[img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
[img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]

studeclunker
06-30-2007, 02:28 AM
quote: I suspect new members that don't like the prices they see.

Obviously these new members you are speaking of have never priced classic car parts before.[}:)] The Studebaker parts are dirt cheap compared to other marques.:D

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

studeclunker
06-30-2007, 02:28 AM
quote: I suspect new members that don't like the prices they see.

Obviously these new members you are speaking of have never priced classic car parts before.[}:)] The Studebaker parts are dirt cheap compared to other marques.:D

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

avantilover
06-30-2007, 03:42 AM
Thieves are everywhere unfortunately, They stole gear from a building site here recently, toilet, Hot Water Service and copper pipe, must add millions annually to the costs of the building companies to replace said items.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Lockleys South Australia

avantilover
06-30-2007, 03:42 AM
Thieves are everywhere unfortunately, They stole gear from a building site here recently, toilet, Hot Water Service and copper pipe, must add millions annually to the costs of the building companies to replace said items.

John Clements
Avantilover, your South Australian Studebaker lover!!!
Lockleys South Australia

studeclunker
06-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Actually, there's a retired builder here in Pine Cove resort who says it adds about fifteen hundred to the cost of every house he put up. He says the problem is getting worse too. Keep in mind, this guy used to put up tracts of homes. In a tract of a hundred houses thats a loss of one huncred fifty thousand dollars in materials.

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

studeclunker
06-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Actually, there's a retired builder here in Pine Cove resort who says it adds about fifteen hundred to the cost of every house he put up. He says the problem is getting worse too. Keep in mind, this guy used to put up tracts of homes. In a tract of a hundred houses thats a loss of one huncred fifty thousand dollars in materials.

Lotsa Larks!
Ron Smith

Scott
06-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Not to throw water on everyone's ASSUMPTIONS, but has anybody thought that just maybe the thief or thieves are residents of the South Bend or the surrounding areas that just took an opportunity that presented itself? They might not care a wit that it's a Studebaker or any other kind of meet. There's an opportunity to steal and a way to sell (eBay). It could be a member, but until I see some hard evidence that it is a club member I think all the assumptions are just way, way out of line. There are just too many possibilities.

Scott
06-30-2007, 01:25 PM
Not to throw water on everyone's ASSUMPTIONS, but has anybody thought that just maybe the thief or thieves are residents of the South Bend or the surrounding areas that just took an opportunity that presented itself? They might not care a wit that it's a Studebaker or any other kind of meet. There's an opportunity to steal and a way to sell (eBay). It could be a member, but until I see some hard evidence that it is a club member I think all the assumptions are just way, way out of line. There are just too many possibilities.

Roscomacaw
06-30-2007, 01:48 PM
You might be right Scott. But if really VALUABLE pieces were lifted, the "lifter" had to have SOME knowledge of what's what in the realm of Studebaker parts.
Of course, kleptomaniacs steal just to steal and I suppose that's a genuine possibility in this case, but (in my opinion) a pretty rare one.

I doubt anyone remembers, but I had a NICE set of truck hub caps lifted RIGHT OUTTA THE BACK OF MY OWN STUDE TRUCK!..... when I took some stuff to the Sacto meet to sell in '03. Between trips into the vending room, they just disappeared.:( I set some stuff on a table - someone cornered me to talk a bit - and when I went out to retrieve the caps and other Stude parts to bring inside, the caps (which I'd JUST looked at a few minutes before!) were gone.:(
Did someone just want 4 pretty stainless steel birdbaths for their garden or did they want them to spruce up their Stude truck?

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

Roscomacaw
06-30-2007, 01:48 PM
You might be right Scott. But if really VALUABLE pieces were lifted, the "lifter" had to have SOME knowledge of what's what in the realm of Studebaker parts.
Of course, kleptomaniacs steal just to steal and I suppose that's a genuine possibility in this case, but (in my opinion) a pretty rare one.

I doubt anyone remembers, but I had a NICE set of truck hub caps lifted RIGHT OUTTA THE BACK OF MY OWN STUDE TRUCK!..... when I took some stuff to the Sacto meet to sell in '03. Between trips into the vending room, they just disappeared.:( I set some stuff on a table - someone cornered me to talk a bit - and when I went out to retrieve the caps and other Stude parts to bring inside, the caps (which I'd JUST looked at a few minutes before!) were gone.:(
Did someone just want 4 pretty stainless steel birdbaths for their garden or did they want them to spruce up their Stude truck?

Miscreant adrift in
the BerStuda Triangle
http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/906179/2006/12/7/truckonhill3.jpg

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
1960 Larkvertible V8
1958 Provincial wagon
1953 Commander coupe

sumf
06-30-2007, 02:40 PM
At "Old Fart Coffee Time" (Sorry Calvin), someone suggested that
some "stolen stuff" may have been close to where two stands meet
and some "looker" placed the item back on the wrong table.
I suppose that's possible. Karl

sumf
06-30-2007, 02:40 PM
At "Old Fart Coffee Time" (Sorry Calvin), someone suggested that
some "stolen stuff" may have been close to where two stands meet
and some "looker" placed the item back on the wrong table.
I suppose that's possible. Karl

studegary
06-30-2007, 06:15 PM
I am really sorry to hear of this theft. It shows how the actions of one person can potentially ruin it for many.

If most all of the stolen parts fit one model/year, then it may be possible to narrow down the search. If it was all sorts of different applications expensive parts, then they will probably show up on eBay or at another vendor's location.

About the request for gas money. I had this happen to me while checking into a room after attending a Studebaker Meet last year. A fairly good looking young lady approached me with some story about needing gas money to get back home. There was some seedy looking guy waiting in the vehicle. When I questioned her about some simple things like didn't they know how much money/gas that they would need when they left home, the answers weren't very good. I told her no and went on into the motel room and worried about my car (it was okay- they probably went on to other potential marks).

Speaking of Cades, I didn't see any of them or their cars at South Bend. Are they okay, did I miss them or is there some problem that I am not aware of?

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

studegary
06-30-2007, 06:15 PM
I am really sorry to hear of this theft. It shows how the actions of one person can potentially ruin it for many.

If most all of the stolen parts fit one model/year, then it may be possible to narrow down the search. If it was all sorts of different applications expensive parts, then they will probably show up on eBay or at another vendor's location.

About the request for gas money. I had this happen to me while checking into a room after attending a Studebaker Meet last year. A fairly good looking young lady approached me with some story about needing gas money to get back home. There was some seedy looking guy waiting in the vehicle. When I questioned her about some simple things like didn't they know how much money/gas that they would need when they left home, the answers weren't very good. I told her no and went on into the motel room and worried about my car (it was okay- they probably went on to other potential marks).

Speaking of Cades, I didn't see any of them or their cars at South Bend. Are they okay, did I miss them or is there some problem that I am not aware of?

Gary L.
Wappinger, NY

1959 DeLuxe pickup (restomod)

mbstude
06-30-2007, 06:58 PM
quote:Speaking of Cades, I didn't see any of them or their cars at South Bend. Are they okay, did I miss them or is there some problem that I am not aware of?

Well, Dr. Cade's health isn't at its best right now. Stephen is a little 'burntout' with Studes, it happens from time to time. He bought himself a cabin on the river and just fishes most of the time, so I've heard. He was in South Bend some early in the week, but not for the meet. I'd heard that he bought out a Stude dealership nearby and also bought a lot from SASCO. Rumor has it that he hauled 4 big truck loads of parts back to Florida.

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/provingground2.jpg

mbstude
06-30-2007, 06:58 PM
quote:Speaking of Cades, I didn't see any of them or their cars at South Bend. Are they okay, did I miss them or is there some problem that I am not aware of?

Well, Dr. Cade's health isn't at its best right now. Stephen is a little 'burntout' with Studes, it happens from time to time. He bought himself a cabin on the river and just fishes most of the time, so I've heard. He was in South Bend some early in the week, but not for the meet. I'd heard that he bought out a Stude dealership nearby and also bought a lot from SASCO. Rumor has it that he hauled 4 big truck loads of parts back to Florida.

Matthew Burnette
'59 Scotsman
'63 Daytona
Hazlehurst, GA

Cruising the Proving Ground Test Track
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j209/mbstude/provingground2.jpg

bams50
06-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Evyn and I were walking to the Century Center Thurs. night; a tall, young, black kid, probably early 20s, pulled that hustle on us; rapid-fire speech, long line of crap: Out of gas, right over there, 3-year-old in the car, used to play ball for ND, works for AmGen, got $850 paycheck in his pocket, went in somewhere to cash it and was called a n***** and thrown out, gotta get the 3-year-old home, could you help?

My response was that we didn't have anything, which is why we were on foot; and he moved on.

Good teaching moment for Evyn: I taught him what a hustler was, and how to not be macho with a hustler, as you never know if they've got a weapon... a rare instance where it's OK to lie, to extract yourself from a potentially dangerous situation...

Sad, but it's the world we live in...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1

bams50
06-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Evyn and I were walking to the Century Center Thurs. night; a tall, young, black kid, probably early 20s, pulled that hustle on us; rapid-fire speech, long line of crap: Out of gas, right over there, 3-year-old in the car, used to play ball for ND, works for AmGen, got $850 paycheck in his pocket, went in somewhere to cash it and was called a n***** and thrown out, gotta get the 3-year-old home, could you help?

My response was that we didn't have anything, which is why we were on foot; and he moved on.

Good teaching moment for Evyn: I taught him what a hustler was, and how to not be macho with a hustler, as you never know if they've got a weapon... a rare instance where it's OK to lie, to extract yourself from a potentially dangerous situation...

Sad, but it's the world we live in...

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
Parish, central NY 13131
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2358680/1