Help needed, changing an Avanti to a four speed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed, changing an Avanti to a four speed

In a convoluted trade I traded a friend my Hawk (early '62) four speed rig for help installing a T-5 in a '56 Power Hawk. We had two "Chevy" type bell housings, so neither are available. But we found out that the tranny shifter goes through a different location in the floor of an Avanti as opposed to a Hawk. I guess there is an extra bracket involved.

1) does anyone have the required bracket for an Avanti?
    2) if plan one doesn't work does anyone want to buy a Hawk four speed with Hurst shifter?
    3) does anyone have a T-5 from a V-8 Chevy they want to sell?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Kelly Marion
    Tucson

Originally posted by kelmbaker View Post
    we found out that the tranny shifter goes through a different location in the floor of an Avanti as opposed to a Hawk.
    I don't know about that....
    64 GT Hawk (K7)
    1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

The Avanti uses a bracket that sits higher up on the tail shaft and uses longer shift rods. There is also a dog leg bend in the shifter lever.

Comment

Yup, need that bracket. Other than that need to peddle the T-10, he will install a T-5 with the rear shifter. It's about 1 inch dispaced compared to the T-10's four inches. Any one for a T-10?

Originally posted by Alan View Post
        The Avanti uses a bracket that sits higher up on the tail shaft and uses longer shift rods. There is also a dog leg bend in the shifter lever.

Comment

Working...
        X