1963 Studebaker Closing Photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1963 Studebaker Closing Photo

This is the first time I have seen this photo. I really dig the water tower with the Circle S!
    Attached Files

Cool beans! 'First time I've seen that one, too. Thanks, Michael.

Authenticity is confirmed by the "Studebaker stripe" along the rearmost edge of the 1955 Commander's front fender at 8 years of age! <GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

After a quick scan, I too focused on the rust line on the rear of that 55s front fender.

Does anyone know if fotos were taken on the South Bend car lines that last day of production??? Seems unbelieveable that there weren't any official (or UNofficial) shots of that historic day. Maybe lurking in some cigar box or dresser drawer in South Bend, there's record of that Daytona going down the line with no more cars behind it.
      No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Originally posted by Roscomacaw View Post
        After a quick scan, I too focused on the rust line on the rear of that 55s front fender.

Does anyone know if fotos were taken on the South Bend car lines that last day of production??? Seems unbelieveable that there weren't any official (or UNofficial) shots of that historic day. Maybe lurking in some cigar box or dresser drawer in South Bend, there's record of that Daytona going down the line with no more cars behind it.
        That's where they would have to be, Bob.

You see, it's easy to forget that they were taking every precaution to avoid making it look like they were going out of business.

The whole charade was as carefully as possible orchestrated and presented as a simple shift of production to a more modern, more efficient manufacturing facility; no more, no less.

The last thing they wanted in the press or elsewhere was a whole bunch of tear-jerking "last this" and "last that" photographs being circulated.

Can you imagine what would happen today with cell phones and various digital devices if they tried to play the same hide-and-seek (mostly hide) game? It would be all over the internet before the paint dried on that last Daytona. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by StudeMichael View Post
          This is the first time I have seen this photo. I really dig the water tower with the Circle S!
          I know where that photo was taken. It looks like building #84 is in the far background and 113/114 is in the foreground. Sad, sad day indeed.
          Chris Dresbach

Comment

Yep, Chris. If the photographer turned around 180 degrees and shot another photo, you'd see the little gray brick Fire Station / Guard Shack front and center. BP

Comment

I'll bet folks who lived in South Bend and worked for Studebaker during this time took a lot of 'heat' from their coworkers if they showed up for work in, say, a Ford or GM vehicle. I don't mean an older one,
              I mean someone pulling into the lot driving a brand new 'brand X'. A LOT of heat!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                I'll bet folks who lived in South Bend and worked for Studebaker during this time took a lot of 'heat' from their coworkers if they showed up for work in, say, a Ford or GM vehicle. I don't mean an older one,
                I mean someone pulling into the lot driving a brand new 'brand X'. A LOT of heat!!
                There's actually a book about that. It's a crazy read, and probably would not happen by todays standards, but the entire line once shut down because somebody bought a competitors car...
                Chris Dresbach

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  Yep, Chris. If the photographer turned around 180 degrees and shot another photo, you'd see the little gray brick Fire Station / Guard Shack front and center. BP
                  I need to do some digging about Studebaker's plant protection department. I want to write about it in the near future, but aside from a few photos I don't have a whole lot on it in my collection.
                  Chris Dresbach

Comment

Ya hafta wonder if that API Photographer was driving his White with Blue Interior, Heavy Duty Suspension '64 Daytona V-8 Wagonaire!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Chris_Dresbach View Post
                      There's actually a book about that. It's a crazy read, and probably would not happen by todays standards, but the entire line once shut down because somebody bought a competitors car...
                      That reminds of Sherwood Egbert, President of Studebaker who drove through the Union picket line on purpose in a Mercedes Benz!

Comment

With all the Studebakers sold in SouthBend, you'da thought they'd still be some sittin around, but after looking at that 9 year old 55 predident i can see why they're all gone.
                        101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

Chris; Don't know if you have read or have access to the March and April 2009 Turning Wheels but if so you might find the two articles (2500+ words) in the Almanac feature a good start on your project.
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Originally posted by clonelark View Post
                            With all the Studebakers sold in SouthBend, you'da thought they'd still be some sittin around, but after looking at that 9 year old 55 president i can see why they're all gone.
                            Yep, Bob; so true.

To wit: Ted Harbit likes to tell the story of looking for a 1951 Commander Starlight Coupe, from which he would ultimately build The Chicken Hawk, in 1961.

Ted and buddy Fred Robinson thought the best place to find an old '51 (this was in '61, mind you) would be South Bend. So they went to South Bend and intentionally spent a whole day driving around, up and down allies and everywhere they could think of, looking for any suitable 1951 Commander Starlight "core."

There weren't any and they came home empty-handed. BP

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                              Ted and buddy Fred Robinson thought the best place to find an old '51 (this was in '61, mind you) would be South Bend. So they went to South Bend and intentionally spent a whole day driving around, up and down allies and everywhere they could think of, looking for any suitable 1951 Commander Starlight "core." There weren't any and they came home empty-handed.
                              It really makes one wonder why they didn't pay more attention to rust-proofing; especially when the effects of road salt attack could literally be seen right out the front windows of the engineering building on a car that was only a few years old....

Craig

Comment

Working...
                              X