Interesting history on this Avanti plus JDP receipts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting history on this Avanti plus JDP receipts

Interesting write up on this Avanti. JDP, looks like you worked on this car in 2001 according to the receipts. Is that correct?

S/N 5171. He calls this one of the last 5. My S/N 5176 must have been the last one then <G>.
    I believe that this Avanti was one of the run of Avantis all built the same, including Allstate tires. My S/N 5176 was and I believe that someone here said that S/N 5180 also was one.
    He says that only 3257 Avantis were built for 1963-1964. Where do people get these numbers? Even his S/N of 5171 wouldn't support that.
    Gary L.
    Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
    Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Gee, the spare tire, "in never used condition", doesn't have a disk brake wheel. What-up with dat??????????
      Jim
      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

I owned 5175. Bought it used in 1970 in Arlington VA. It was red/black interior R1 with PS, TT, seat belts and, AM radio. It did not have the multi colored vacuum gauge.

Comment

Interesting about the JDP receipt, but I see a LOT more of Myer's Studebaker's.
          StudeRich
          Second Generation Stude Driver,
          Proud '54 Starliner Owner
          SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

So it makes Me wonder why Studebaker management decided on this 'run' of very similar Avantis? (I owned R-5180) They either had a lot of extra red paint and all black interiors to use up (HA HA),
            Or was there another reason? Some connection to the Sears- Allstate tires? Maybe the cars were built to a Sears spec? Or did Studebaker just figure that Avantis built like this were simply the most saleable?

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
              Gee, the spare tire, "in never used condition", doesn't have a disk brake wheel. What-up with dat??????????
              Jim
              I learned something new this week. Matt Wendt was here at the IoMT to check out my fleet and talk Studebakers. When he was looking at the Wagonaire with the open spare tire bay he noted that it contained a factory disc brake wheel, and showed me how to tell. Did not know that until he showed me!

Must not be worth nothin'... he needs one for his r2 GT project and I told him to take it with him, but he didn't even grab it for free
              Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
              Romans 15:13
              Deuteronomy 31:6
              Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Bob, I have an R2 lark project and could use that wheel. Can me make a deal? Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                  Interesting write up on this Avanti. JDP, looks like you worked on this car in 2001 according to the receipts. Is that correct?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stude...t_20433wt_1165
                  Apparently, but they were all a blur back than, it may have been part of this group.
                  Attached Files
                  JDP Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                    Bob, I have an R2 lark project and could use that wheel. Can me make a deal? Jeff
                    Sorry Jeff, I was teasing, Matt got dibs, he just couldn't take it that day. However, now that I know what they look like, maybe I'll have another and if I do it's yours. Would love to donate to that sweet red Lark!
                    Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                    Romans 15:13
                    Deuteronomy 31:6
                    Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                      S/N 5171. He calls this one of the last 5. My S/N 5176 must have been the last one then <G>.
                      I believe that this Avanti was one of the run of Avantis all built the same, including Allstate tires. My S/N 5176 was and I believe that someone here said that S/N 5180 also was one.
                      He says that only 3257 Avantis were built for 1963-1964. Where do people get these numbers? Even his S/N of 5171 wouldn't support that.
                      I wrote him a polite note with correct production information, the month that his car was built, etc. He replied that others have told him differently. He didn't include my note on his eBay listing (maybe because it was counter to his claims).
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                        So it makes Me wonder why Studebaker management decided on this 'run' of very similar Avantis? (I owned R-5180) They either had a lot of extra red paint and all black interiors to use up (HA HA),
                        Or was there another reason? Some connection to the Sears- Allstate tires? Maybe the cars were built to a Sears spec? Or did Studebaker just figure that Avantis built like this were simply the most saleable?
                        This was somehow tied into the Allstate Tire/Avanti Cross Country runs made by Paula Murphy and another lady, the Allstate Tire Bonneville runs by the Granatellis and the Allstate Tire Red Avanti giveaway contest.

Possibly the thought was that all of the Publicity and National attention would sell more of the "giveaway Car clones"!
                        It appears though, that this batch of Red Avantis we are talking about were not "strippers" like the giveaway cars with Manual Steering, and 3 Speed Trans. and minimal options.

Also these Cars APPEAR to me to have been painted the lighter Maroon, the '63 Color: "Avanti Red" that is the same as Corvette Honduras Maroon Metallic, is that what your's was SN60?

As you know, most '64's had the "Avanti Maroon" which is actually IMO, ugly Burgandy with too much Brown.
                        StudeRich
                        Second Generation Stude Driver,
                        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

To: StudeRich,---- Yes, R-5180 was painted the lighter 'Avanti Red' (R-1, Auto, P/S, Manual Windows) It's interesting how those Sears giveaway cars You mention were equipped. (Manual Steering & 3-speed manual trans.)
                          I can't think of a better way NOT to promote the model!! Take care

Comment

Jeff-
                            Are you looking for a 63 disc brake wheel? I have two good ones.
                            Skip
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Yes Skip. I just sent you a PM. Thanks, Jeff

Comment

Working...
                              X