Stude V8 & April 2012 Hot Rod: UGH!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stude V8 & April 2012 Hot Rod: UGH!

So the April 2012 Hot Rod arrives in the morning mail.

Screaming across the cover: 20 BEST V8s

O'boy, 'hope they mention the Studebaker V8 somewhere!

Quick scan of the article: None, Zero, NADA; NO Studebaker V8 mention at all, anywhere, period!

Uh-Oh: 'Just when I thought I'd get something useful done today, 'time to head over to the 'puter, 'fingers dripping with venom, ready to rock-and-roll the keyboard to Editor Freiburger & Company, whom I normally like.

But 'figured I'd better read the whole story first, so I did.

Sadly, this was a little-known Reader's Poll in which all of 2,000 people -yes, only 2,000- participated. That's gotta be a really small percentage, I'll bet less than 1%, of all Hot Rod subscribers. After all, Hemmings Classic Car now has over 150,000 paid subscribers. I would think Hot Rod would have many more, as cheap as they sell it by subscription.

Phooey. 'Wish I'da seen the V8 Engine Poll earlier, but I had not. Properly motivated, I would hope we could have generated almost 2,000 pro-Studebaker responses right here!

Oh, well; maybe next time.

Meanwhile, don't get your panties all wadded up reading the article because the wonderful Studebaker V8 isn't mentioned. It isn't necessarily their fault.

('Think I'll write 'em anyhow, just on general principles, since their own, small, internal "Editor's Poll" appears on Page 65 and doesn't mention the Studebaker V8 either!)

'Time to reorder blood pressure meds anyway...<GGG> BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Was the poll multiple choice or write in? Perhaps readers answering the poll didn't have the option to vote for the Stude.
    Jim
    Often in error, never in doubt
    http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

____1966 Avanti II RQA 0088_______________1963 Avanti R2 63R3152____________http://rabidsnailracing.blogspot.com/

Comment

This is tongue-in-cheek -

How many variations of the SBC are there??? Let's see - 265 / 283 / 327 / 350 / 400 - do that x 4, you get 20.

I have not seen the article.

Just something about the 'burble' a Stude V-8 makes... Won't trade it for the world -

Drew

Comment

Originally posted by drew72mgb View Post
        This is tongue-in-cheek -

How many variations of the SBC are there??? Let's see - 265 / 283 / 327 / 350 / 400 - do that x 4, you get 20.

I have not seen the article.

Just something about the 'burble' a Stude V-8 makes... Won't trade it for the world -

Drew
        then there is + 302/305/307
        I can't wait to hear my burble soon. Hopefully

Comment

Originally posted by kmac530 View Post
          then there is + 302/305/307
          Don't forget the 262 and 400, not to mention the 355, 383 and 406 strokers people build..and the 383 is available as a crate engine from GM.
          Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Got mine this morning also Bob, but as I seen it was a readers poll I have opt out of reading that article.
            Tom
            sigpic

Comment

You've been writing letter to editor since what '61 '62, shoot don't stop now get after em!!!
              Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              So the April 2012 Hot Rod arrives in the morning mail.

Screaming across the cover: 20 BEST V8s

O'boy, 'hope they mention the Studebaker V8 somewhere!

Quick scan of the article: None, Zero, NADA; NO Studebaker V8 mention at all, anywhere, period!

Uh-Oh: 'Just when I thought I'd get something useful done today, 'time to head over to the 'puter, 'fingers dripping with venom, ready to rock-and-roll the keyboard to Editor Freiburger & Company, whom I normally like.

But 'figured I'd better read the whole story first, so I did.

Sadly, this was a little-known Reader's Poll in which all of 2,000 people -yes, only 2,000- participated. That's gotta be a really small percentage, I'll bet less than 1%, of all Hot Rod subscribers. After all, Hemmings Classic Car now has over 150,000 paid subscribers. I would think Hot Rod would have many more, as cheap as they sell it by subscription.

Phooey. 'Wish I'da seen the V8 Engine Poll earlier, but I had not. Properly motivated, I would hope we could have generated almost 2,000 pro-Studebaker responses right here!

Oh, well; maybe next time.

Meanwhile, don't get your panties all wadded up reading the article because the wonderful Studebaker V8 isn't mentioned. It isn't necessarily their fault.

('Think I'll write 'em anyhow, just on general principles, since their own, small, internal "Editor's Poll" appears on Page 65 and doesn't mention the Studebaker V8 either!)

'Time to reorder blood pressure meds anyway...<GGG> BP

Russ Shop Foreman \"Rusty Nut Garage\"
              53 2R6 289 5SpdOD (driver)
              57 SH (project)
              60 Lark VIII 2dr sd (driver)

Comment

In all fairness- I would be willing to bet the vast majority- vast- of today's Hot Rod subscribers have never even heard a Studebaker V8 other than the rare passby at a car show; let alone owned, or worked on, or tested the limits and/or capabilities of a Studebaker V8. And if that's the case, it would follow that rather than slight the Stude, they wouldn't have even thought of it at the time of the poll. And even if they did, they could not in honesty vote for something they knew nothing about.

I grew up in the car business, and my life has been in the racing/hot rod world. I can tell you I'm a car guy completely to the core of my DNA. Yet, I never saw or even heard the sound of a Studebaker V8 engine until January 2007, when I received my '60 Lark wagon. I was 45 years of age at that time. What's more, many of my friends from racing and elsewhere still have not heard one- even when they see mine, they pay no attention. Now, I don't know how common that is, but having grown up with mostly late 60s-and-up cars, there simply was not anyone around who had or cared about Studebakers. I have to believe that most people my age and younger have had the same experience.

I was lured into the Studebaker world by a 6-banger '64 that I saved from the crusher. One thing led to another, and today I have come to know the Studebaker V8 as a true jewel. I know about the nickel in the block, steel crank, durability, and quality; also the poor-performing heads, limited performance parts, weak weight to power ratio; and on the whole, it's a great engine. As Drew says, they truly do have a sweet sound of their own. I feel the same about the 6s. But that doesn't change the fact that hobby-wide, the people that know, let alone appreciate, the Studebaker V8s, is probably a microscopic fraction. Probably about the same percentage that appreciate the virtues of the Willys L-226: great engine, but nobody knows it

I guess for me, whenever I see Studebakers snubbed or disrespected by the general public, I'll accept the fringe nature of the marque. And, enjoy the well-kept secret that is the cars I've come to love. Even when all my friends give me that puzzled look
                Proud NON-CASO

I do not prize the word "cheap." It is not a badge of honor...it is a symbol of despair. ~ William McKinley

If it is decreed that I should go down, then let me go down linked with the truth - let me die in the advocacy of what is just and right.- Lincoln

GOD BLESS AMERICA

Ephesians 6:10-17
                Romans 15:13
                Deuteronomy 31:6
                Proverbs 28:1

Illegitimi non carborundum

Comment

The poll was done on facebook. Most of the people were kids- didn't know anything older than 1995. I believe Studebaker was mentioned at some point, The supercharged 289 if recall correctly. Most of the earlier engines were forgotten. My 2 cents worth were the Flathead ford, small block Chevy, and Cadillac Northstar, From a Historically significant point of view.
                  they just keep following me home

Comment

Originally posted by blue55 View Post
                    The poll was done on facebook. Most of the people were kids- didn't know anything older than 1995. I believe Studebaker was mentioned at some point, The supercharged 289 if recall correctly. Most of the earlier engines were forgotten. My 2 cents worth were the Flathead ford, small block Chevy, and Cadillac Northstar, From a Historically significant point of view.
                    Thanks, Eric; that explains it. I read most every issue fairly thoroughly, and don't see how I would have missed this poll, and subsequently alerted everyone in Studebaker land to vote and vote often!

Nothing wrong with Facebook, but I already spend too much time pounding this thing and staring at this monitor anyway, to get involved in one more medium. BP
                    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Don't know what is meant by "Best," but any list of significant, great, or otherwise American V-8s should include Chrysler Hemis. Early (331) or late (426).
                      KURTRUK
                      (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

I certainly agree. Is anyone else annoyed when talking Studebaker V-8s with friends has they say that the 289 Studebaker was obviously made by Ford! BTW, I recently found that the 36 Cord was also a 289, go figure.

Murray

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                        Don't know what is meant by "Best," but any list of significant, great, or otherwise American V-8s should include Chrysler Hemis. Early (331) or late (426).
                        Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain !

http://sites.google.com/site/intrigu...tivehistories/

(/url) https://goo.gl/photos/ABBDQLgZk9DyJGgr5

Comment

Working...
                        X