Avanti Towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Towing

Will a 63 Avanti fit on a Uhaul Tow Dolly? It has a 4 speed transmission. I have to meet a Transport Truck in San Antonio TX this Friday and bring the car to Uvalde which is an 85 mile trip.
    Allen

The owners manual only discusses towing an Avanti equipped with an automatic transmission...no more than fifteen miles or remove the drive shaft or tow it with the rear wheels off the ground. There's no mention of towing a manual equipped Avanti. It sounds like that should be no problem to do so.

Personally, I would think a flatbed would be the best way to transport it, but that's what I think about any vehicle.
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

Originally posted by satdoc2 View Post
      Will a 63 Avanti fit on a Uhaul Tow Dolly? It has a 4 speed transmission. I have to meet a Transport Truck in San Antonio TX this Friday and bring the car to Uvalde which is an 85 mile trip.
      Allen
      Another question is: Will U-haul let you tow the Avanti? If you have a vehicle large enough to tow it, I'd consider a trailer which at $55/day is a excellent value. They are very demanding about what you pick the trailer or dolly up with. Call them and see what they recommend.

I actually think Bruce may have the best thought, If you have AAA Premium, they may help with the cost.

To directly answer the question, My money would be on the Avanti surviving the tow if you "KNOW" everything in the rear is well lubricated. Wheel bearing, differential and transmission. I would pull the drive shaft if that is possible.

Bob

Comment

There may be a problem...if the Avanti's transmission has a mainshaft that does not spin the counter shaft when not in gear, then the mainshaft will not get lubrication and seize. Two ways around this...have the engine idle with the trans out of gear the whole trip, or disconnect the driveshaft. I'm not sure exactly what the case is with the Avanti, but if it was mine I would really consider disconnecting the driveshaft at the pinion and securing it so it does not drag on the ground yet plugs the tailshaft so you don't lose any trans. oil while on the dolly. Junior
        sigpic
        1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

With a 4 speed there shouldn't be a problem. Just as a caution, I had a timing gear shear and tow driver wouldn't pick it up from the rear. Long story short, dropped in gear(automatic) and ruined the block. No oil circulation.
          Should be an easy pull for ya.
          Kim

Comment

Originally posted by satdoc2 View Post
            Allen
            I would pay the extra for door-to-door transport.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
            X