Engine for my 31 Model 54 Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine for my 31 Model 54 Coupe

Hello, I posted earlier about my 1931 Stude Model 54 coupe. The car is is missing engine , tranny and rearend. The interior is gone so it seems to me it would be easier to rebuild this car as a street rod rather than an original. I feel like with the rareity of the car, origional parts would be almost non existent.That being said, I am not talking body mods, just drive train.I am wondering about Studebaker V-8 engines. Whats good, whats not, can they be rebuilt reasonably and which one to put in it, etc. Everyone puts Chevy's in theresbut I don't want that. It would be cool to be Stude powered but I know nothing about them. Any help out there?. Thanks, Dennis
    sigpic 1948 M-5 Modified, Dennis Wilson, Algona Iowa

Heres a couple of pics of the car and one something like I am talking about. Thanks, dennis
    Attached Files
    sigpic 1948 M-5 Modified, Dennis Wilson, Algona Iowa

Comment

Given that you don't have much in the way of a drivetrain and the odds of finding those components is slim, I would say making a "restomod" would be appropriate. If it were me, I would do it with as little disturbance to the frame and body as possible. I have struggled with this same dilemma, even though I have a running, drivable '32 model 55, it would cost easily $10KUSD to rebuild just the motor. The value of the car if restored probably wouldn't be much more that. Of course, if you modernize it, you will always get the "stink eye" from the purists who have no idea what you started with.

Comment

Working...
      X