No announcement yet.

"R" Equipped Models With O/D ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: "R" Equipped Models With O/D ?

Were there any "R" equipped models provided with a factory O/D ? Thanks, Dan

Are you asking for Avanti only or any model factory equipped with an "R" engine?

According to the Avanti Production Data published by the Studebaker National Museum no Avantis left the factory with overdrive. If there's a similar publication for Hawk and sedans, the answer to that may be there. I tend to doubt if overdrive was available with any "R" engine packages, but never say never. Who knows what special orders may have created such a car?
    Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

The last O/D trans that could handle R-series output was the T-85, used back in 57/58. They may have been available in the early 60's but doubtful that they were offered as options by then. I doubt the T-86 O/D would last a week behind an R1..
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Theoretically, Dan, Velvet Black R1 1963 Hawk #63V17346 was equipped with Air Conditioning and Overdrive.

I'd probably want to see the car itself or have some other documentation to make sure a simple error wasn't made in recording its transmission type when compilations were made.

If so, it was the only one. BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

64V-K7, If the T-85 was the same B-W electric, 3sp, O/D unit Ford used behind the '61 390CI/401HP, 3 deuce brute, I suspect it would have handled any "R" offering. Don't think any production "R" equalled or even came close to the torque of the Ford. Perhaps it was a different tranny but i suspect it was the T-85 as they put it behind the '56 Golden. That would have been likely a higher torque engine than any of the "R" production engines as well. Thanks for the input. Dan

Comment

Bob, thanks. As always appreciate the information. Dan

Comment

Just to clarify what 64V-K7 and BobPalma said, the T85 was used by Studebaker in 57 and 58 supercharged 289 Golden Hawks and the 56 Packard 352 engined Golden Hawk--and if there were a few 58 Packard Hawks with overdrive, they were T85 also. There was then a gap for Studebakers with supercharged/high output engines, and it wasn't until 1963 and 64 that they were offered again. The high output engines, supercharged or not, were designated "R" as in R1, R2, R3 etc. By then only the low output (sixes) T96 or moderate V8 output T86 transmissions were available with the electric overdrive, and the usual manual transmission for an R series car was then the 4 speed T90. (I would think that Ford had about the last run at the T85 overdrives around 1961) For purposes of horsepower, the R1 non-supercharged but high output engine should be considered in the same category as the R2 supercharged engine--way too powerful for the then available T86. Studebaker had lots of warranty claims it seems with the non-R 289 with a T86 overdrive. especially in the heavier wagons, so they were marginal at much less than R1 or R2 horsepower. (even my 259 2bbl Wagonaire has trashed one overdrive unit and that is a lot less hp than a 289 4 bbl)
              Last edited by Jim B PEI; 02-07-2012, 07:15 PM. Reason: "R"

Comment

R engine with O/D

Not original engine but my 53 commander has a R2 engine with a T86 w/ overdrive. A wonderful set up and love it. Plenty of power and torque when in overdrive at road speeds. Has 3:31 rear. Open road I get near 25 miles/gallon. No problems in 20+ years.
                Last edited by cobraman428; 02-07-2012, 07:23 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

I have a few '60's editions of the 'Motors Auto Repair Manual'. In the Studebaker 3-speed manual transmission section it specifies that stickshift '56-'58 Golden Hawk and President Classic models were
                  equipped with the T-85 transmission. Any one out there know of a stick President Classic with a factory T-85? And how about the supercharged '57 Packard Clipper. Were any of those built with the standard o/d
                  T-85 transmission?

Comment

These are all in the Parts Catalog as available, and yes they did exist all were built. I have parted out three '56-'57 President Sedans with T-85 Overdrive and they were not all Classics. Of course they are serious keeper Transmissions. And they are very best Transmissions there ever was, anywhere.

These are rare today, but plenty were built. The really, really rare ones are the Long Tail T-85's used in the '58 GH and PH. I once found a Ford/Mercury collector guy in Everett, WA with several of these long Tail versions and never was able to connect with him to work a deal to buy some.

I figured I had a much better chance finding one from a Ford product than a Stude. because they were not used in Sedans.
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

This is interesting. If you had a ford trans how would you have to modify it to fit a studebaker?

Comment

The Ford OD bolts right up. But you have to have a Stude T-85 OD main shaft.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                          Theoretically, Dan, Velvet Black R1 1963 Hawk #63V17346 was equipped with Air Conditioning and Overdrive.

I'd probably want to see the car itself or have some other documentation to make sure a simple error wasn't made in recording its transmission type when compilations were made.

If so, it was the only one. BP

Bob.....Back in 64 a good friend of mine ordered a 1/2 ton Stude "T" cab with an R1 and overdrive, and got it.....The truck still exists to this day.....His son has it......The truck was ordered from Studebaker of Tulsa, which used to be on 11th Street.......Keep on Studebakering

Comment

Originally posted by Starlight View Post
                            Bob.....Back in 64 a good friend of mine ordered a 1/2 ton Stude "T" cab with an R1 and overdrive, and got it.....The truck still exists to this day.....His son has it......The truck was ordered from Studebaker of Tulsa, which used to be on 11th Street.......Keep on Studebakering
                            Excellent, John; that's quite a piece. I have records of the two 1963 R-powered Champs and all the 1964 R-powered cars, but no records for 1964 trucks. 'Good to hear it survives. BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

To: StudeRich,------ The T-85 really was something special. When I think back on the abuse I gave that transmission, ( I drove a '56 Golden as an everyday driver for six years), I can't believe it. I went through two 352
                              Packard engines and three 11" Ford truck clutches, but that tranny never skipped a beat.

Comment

Working...
                              X