Factory Monotone Speedsters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory Monotone Speedsters?

I wondered if any of You Forum readers have or know of a factory monotone '55 Speedster?
    Velvet Black ones were definitely built. Any other solid colors known of? Thanks

Ed, Dick Quinn covered this on Page 41 of the September 1998 Turning Wheels.

According to Dick's report, only 13 Speedsters were monotone; all of them solid black. All were produced in South Bend; i.e., no monotone Speedsters were built in Vernon CA.

Dick reports that 7 Speedsters were built in South Bend for which the color is unknown or otherwise unaccounted for. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks Bob. I heard somewhere that the last 1955 Speedster built (South Bend?) was painted the 1956 red/white combo. Know anything about that one? ( must have been 6H-K7 2215 )

Comment

True, Ed; Dick's article confirms the last Speedster Built, Serial #7170791 was, in fact, 1956 two-tone Romany Red upper / Snowcap White center / Romany Red lower. It wasn't built until September 26, 1955. By that time, they had to be building some early 1956s, I would think.

However, the last one built wouldn't necessarily have Body #2215...but it could have.

Remember, they pulled bodies at random from the body bank, so while there is a general relationship between Body Number and when a car was built, it is by no means exactly sequential by serial number. The last Speedster built (I don't know; just an example) could have had Body #2210, whereas the 7th one from the end could have had Body #2215...or any other number, for that matter.

Dick verifies this in his article. He reports the 64th Speedster built having body #89 (you would expect it to have #64, right?), whereas the 65th Speedster built, the very next one after 64, had body #204!

The Production Order for 7170791 would specify its body number, but I don't have access to that information here. The last one might have been Body #2215. But it would be a "high-probability" coincidence, not a certainty. BP
        Last edited by BobPalma; 02-08-2012, 07:34 AM. Reason: year correction to 1956 in first paragraph
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          True, Ed; Dick's article confirms the last Speedster Built, Serial #7170791 was, in fact, 1956 two-tone Romany Red upper / Snowcap White center / Romany Red lower. It wasn't built until September 26, 1955. By that time, they had to be building some early 1956's, I would think.
          Bob, wasn't your late '75 Pacer also a 'next year's' color as well?

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            Bob, wasn't your late '75 Pacer also a 'next year's' color as well? Craig
            That's exactly right, Craig.

I ordered and expected the more "orangish" Mellow Yellow. I really didn't like it all that much, but it was the only yellow available in 1975.

The car arrived as a thoroughly-1975 model year car; all documents, legal identification, and the window sticker were 1975 model year. However, the color was the bright, new-for-1976-model-year Sunshine Yellow that I much preferred, a totally unexpected, pleasant surprise!

The 1975 window sticker even said Sunshine Yellow, but you won't find it on any 1975 AMC color charts, even late production. BP

Comment

Bob...a PACER?!

You must really be a glutton for punishment! Really...just kidding...not bad cars for the time. American Motors was another company that generally followed a different drummer...sometimes good and sometimes not. I always liked the early Marlins, AMX's and Javelins.

But...I like Avantis so I guess I'm as off my rocker as anyone.
              Poet...Mystic...Soldier of Fortune. As always...self-absorbed, adversarial, cocky and in general a malcontent.

Comment

I can remember watching a lady in a grocery store parking lot unload her cart into the back of her Pacer. The cart stayed the same distance from the ground as she transfered the bags, but the rear of the Pacer sunk about four inches. Lots of windows and visability, though.
                Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Originally posted by Gunslinger View Post
                  Bob...a PACER?!

You must really be a glutton for punishment! Really...just kidding...not bad cars for the time. American Motors was another company that generally followed a different drummer...sometimes good and sometimes not. I always liked the early Marlins, AMX's and Javelins.
                  Yep, Bruce; that was the first of only two brand-new cars I've ever purchased in my almost 66 years on the planet. The other was the 2008 Impala we still have, plus two new trucks (1979 El Camino, sold in 1984, and the 2002 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab I still own).

I loved the Pacer! I had to order it because I wanted Overdrive and a 3.08:1 axle...for gas mileage. They all got a 2.73:1 axle, IIRC, even the overdrive cars! I had researched the matter and found out overdrive cars got no better gas mileage than straight sticks if you got the standard 2.73 axle, because they had to lug so much.

But when you ordered the 3.08, you got a couple mpg better.

Comment

To: Bob Palma, -- Thank You for the info on the last Speedster. By chance, would You know if the specials, ('55 Speedsters), were all very late production vehicles or spread out at random through the year?

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                      To: Bob Palma, -- Thank You for the info on the last Speedster. By chance, would You know if the specials, ('55 Speedsters), were all very late production vehicles or spread out at random through the year?
                      They were spread out.

In response to Bob's comments re body numbers the last Speedster serial 7170791 had body number 2192. Body 2215 was on serial 7170749 assembled 3 days earlier. With your interest in the Speedster you should probably get the Sept. '98 TW and read all that good information yourself! I might also recommend the October 1998 issue of Collectible Automobile.
                      Richard Quinn
                      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

To: Richard Quinn,---- Thank You for the Speedster info. And I'll take Your suggestion on the reference material.

Comment

Working...
                        X